Advice on Caribbean ports and Ventura or Azura please

Dreamgirl1957

Advice please on P&O and Caribbean :-) Can anyone tell me which are the "not to be missed ports" in the Caribbean :confused:

Looking at going Feb 14, never been before ( were booked to go November 12 on Ventura but had to change our dates to summer :( )

We would like some ports where the ship docks near a nice beach :cool: and also some of the best tours etc etc...

Also i know they are almost identical but Ventura or Azura??? :confused:

Im an ex travel agent so know all the basics about both ships but which has the edge please and why...

........also ive seen so many bargains in the past at the last min, sold a few corkers ( Azura 3 week Caribbean £999 etc......... ) but any advice from the regular P&O'ers on the best time to pounce , we want 2 weeks only due to work , thanks !! :-) :D:D

We would like some ports where the ship docks near a nice beach :cool: and also some of the best tours etc etc...

Im an ex travel agent so know all the basics about both ships but which has the edge please and why...

........also ive seen so many bargains in the past at the last min, sold a few corkers ( Azura 3 week Caribbean £999 etc......... ) but any advice from the regular P&O'ers on the best time to pounce , we want 2 weeks only due to work , thanks !! :-) :D:D

Hi Deamgirl

Can not comment on Ventura, only Azura, different speciality restaurants, no trapeze thingy, and believe the dress code is slightly different Azura has a mix of black tie, smart casual and semi casual, for ports of call Grand Turk has a wonderful beach step of the pier and it right there lovely, Greneda the beach is very close accessed at the port by water taxi, Barbados again close by about 20 min walk to Carlyle bay, St Lucia, Antigua, st Kitts need transport, St Maarten

Again water taxi, just done this in Feb return of six dollars, you can see ship from beach, hope that's a good starting point for you.:)

Mrs. Blue Sky

Hi Deamgirl

Can not comment on Ventura, only Azura, different speciality restaurants, no trapeze thingy, and believe the dress code is slightly different Azura has a mix of black tie, smart casual and semi casual, for ports of call Grand Turk has a wonderful beach step of the pier and it right there lovely, Greneda the beach is very close accessed at the port by water taxi, Barbados again close by about 20 min walk to Carlyle bay, St Lucia, Antigua, st Kitts need transport, St Maarten

Again water taxi, just done this in Feb return of six dollars, you can see ship from beach, hope that's a good starting point for you.:)

Mrs. Blue Sky

Thanks Mr Blue Sky, all noted, will look at itineraries later tonight.

Just want to get a good deal , our budget is very ( very) limited im afraid so just wondering what to do regards vantage fare or getaway etc if we do book with P&O. Would love to be able to pick a cabin etc but need lowest price really, will have to have a good think :confused:

Dreamgirl, glad you are thinking of doing a Caribbean cruise after your disappointment of the other year. We have done both ships in the Caribbean and there is little to chose between the ships, especially after Ventura has her re-fit. As Mrbluesky says there are several ports with beaches close by and some with a beach a short Taxi ride away. the only one we have visited that doesn't I think is Dominica but you might find this Island difficult to avoid as it seems to be a P&O favourite . I urge you to go for a balcony cabin, you will really get the benefit of this in the Caribbean.Maybe we will be on a cruise together one day

Dreamgirl, glad you are thinking of doing a Caribbean cruise after your disappointment of the other year. We have done both ships in the Caribbean and there is little to chose between the ships, especially after Ventura has her re-fit. As Mrbluesky says there are several ports with beaches close by and some with a beach a short Taxi ride away. the only one we have visited that doesn't I think is Dominica but you might find this Island difficult to avoid as it seems to be a P&O favourite . I urge you to go for a balcony cabin, you will really get the benefit of this in the Caribbean.Maybe we will be on a cruise together one day

Hi again!! Thanks for replying , I remember talking to you before , pleased you have had a couple of good Caribbean's :cool:

Getting prices at the min and trying to decide if to book or wait or even if to go P&O or Thomson. ( We have bee with Thomson and RCi and really like Thomsons)

Will def be Caribbean one way or another as we were so upset when we couldnt go last time. We have some credit to use up with P&O so got to weigh up pro's and cons ....look at itineraries etc

Will let you know! ;)

Hi again!! Thanks for replying , I remember talking to you before , pleased you have had a couple of good Caribbean's :cool:

Getting prices at the min and trying to decide if to book or wait or even if to go P&O or Thomson. ( We have bee with Thomson and RCi and really like Thomsons)

Will def be Caribbean one way or another as we were so upset when we couldnt go last time. We have some credit to use up with P&O so got to weigh up pro's and cons ....look at itineraries etc

Will let you know! ;)

Dream girl,

As to when to book. If you can be flexible then clearly wait. For the Caribbean position on the ship is less important as the seas tend to be more favourable. If your credit can be used on getaway and with flexibility then no doubt wait as there will be getaway fares, with their drawbacks, which I think are less where you want to go.

It would be different advice if you we're restricted to one departure date. Most islands have good beaches so I would think price may be the deciding factor for you as the cruises are much the same with about 10 islands per cruise. Gran Turk is good if a little commercial if you stay near the ship. St Maarten is the one we like best.

As I have said flexibility is the key in Feb 14 there will be 4 cruises. They will not be all full so getaway fares will kick in at some time. I have heard that on some cruises the getaway prices do not last long, ie they are being snapped up. Now as people get used to this I can see these cheaper fares going quite quickly.

Hope this helps

Gan Canny

Dai

As regards the choice of ship, Azura and Ventura will be very similar after the latters refit. The main difference will be on the open deck. Azura has a large outdoor cinema screen over the rear pool, Ventura has a retractable roof. The screen may be a bonus in the balmy Caribbean, but some find it intrusive. Also, it does rain fairly frequently, at which times Ventura has the advantage. I would personally choose on itinerary rather than ship.

Of all the islands Sint Maartin is my personal favourite. Most islands have good beaches except Dominica which is however, unrivalled for flora and fauna and natural scenery. Bonaire has superb snortelling.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the advice, i really appriciate it very much.

WE HAVE BOOKED !!!! :eek:

Not P&O though im afraid, we have booked on Thomson Dream :D we do like the Thomson ships very much and knew would be P&O or Thomson.

The price was very good but the two main things were the itinerary and the flight, we can fly from Doncaster / Sheffield which is only 35 mins from home so all very stress free!:cool:

They have only one date for the Doncaster flight so we go 26th Jan for 2 weeks.

We fly out to Barbados then it's ....Bonaire , Aruba , Curacao , Grenada , Barbados, St Maarten , St Kitts , St Lucia , Tobago , St Vincent and Grenadine . Would have liked Antigua but wasnt available :( on our date but you cant have everything and am thrilled with the ports we will see.

Once again thanks so much everyone!:)

Mrs BlueSky, i have jotted down what you said about the ports , thanks ! :cool:

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the advice, i really appriciate it very much.

WE HAVE BOOKED !!!! :eek:

Not P&O though im afraid, we have booked on Thomson Dream :D we do like the Thomson ships very much and knew would be P&O or Thomson.

The price was very good but the two main things were the itinerary and the flight, we can fly from Doncaster / Sheffield which is only 35 mins from home so all very stress free!:cool:

They have only one date for the Doncaster flight so we go 26th Jan for 2 weeks.

We fly out to Barbados then it's ....Bonaire , Aruba , Curacao , Grenada , Barbados, St Maarten , St Kitts , St Lucia , Tobago , St Vincent and Grenadine . Would have liked Antigua but wasnt available :( on our date but you cant have everything and am thrilled with the ports we will see.

Once again thanks so much everyone!:)

Mrs BlueSky, i have jotted down what you said about the ports , thanks ! :cool:

Hello Dreamgirl1957

Have a lovely trip on Thomson, happy to help .

Sue

You can find out about the best beaches on the islands you're visiting by checking out the Ports of Call threads on this website. Can highly recommend doing this.

On Aruba, the bus station is opposite the exit to the port and if you take the bus towards the Hotel Zone, you will come to really beautiful beaches after only 10 minutes travelling. They go on for miles so you can't miss them.

In Grenada, the water taxi is accessible from the cruise terminal. Follow the signs off to the left after you've gone through the barriers. St Maarten also has a water taxi from the dockside across to the beaches. Make sure you get off at the main stop in he town centre and there's beaches to the left and right of you. Don't believe what it says in the P&O booklet because it's certainly not a small beach - narrow yes, but also long.

Have fun

You can find out about the best beaches on the islands you're visiting by checking out the Ports of Call threads on this website. Can highly recommend doing this.

On Aruba, the bus station is opposite the exit to the port and if you take the bus towards the Hotel Zone, you will come to really beautiful beaches after only 10 minutes travelling. They go on for miles so you can't miss them.

In Grenada, the water taxi is accessible from the cruise terminal. Follow the signs off to the left after you've gone through the barriers. St Maarten also has a water taxi from the dockside across to the beaches. Make sure you get off at the main stop in he town centre and there's beaches to the left and right of you. Don't believe what it says in the P&O booklet because it's certainly not a small beach - narrow yes, but also long.

Have fun

Thanks, will keep a note of that :D:D:D:D:D

Thomson Dream is a nice ship but no balcony cabins so we wouldn't go for her in the Caribbean where a balcony comes into its own.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Essexlass, there are a few balcony's on the Dream but not many.

We would love one but this will be our second cruise in the same year which is a huge expense for us.

We are on Thomson Majesty this summer for 2 weeks in a prom deck cabin but for the Caribbean on the Dream we only have an inside cabin to keep in our budget im afraid.

Sure next time will be P&O as i have some credit with them to use up so hopefully a balcony then :D:D:D:D

Dream girl,

As to when to book. If you can be flexible then clearly wait. For the Caribbean position on the ship is less important as the seas tend to be more favourable. If your credit can be used on getaway and with flexibility then no doubt wait as there will be getaway fares, with their drawbacks, which I think are less where you want to go.

It would be different advice if you we're restricted to one departure date. Most islands have good beaches so I would think price may be the deciding factor for you as the cruises are much the same with about 10 islands per cruise. Gran Turk is good if a little commercial if you stay near the ship. St Maarten is the one we like best.

As I have said flexibility is the key in Feb 14 there will be 4 cruises. They will not be all full so getaway fares will kick in at some time. I have heard that on some cruises the getaway prices do not last long, ie they are being snapped up. Now as people get used to this I can see these cheaper fares going quite quickly.

Hope this helps

Gan Canny

Dai

Thanks so much for all the advice , so nice of you, we have booked with Thomson this time but think will try P&O the year after to hopefully go back and see the islands we miss!

Thomsons had one date with flights from Doncaster which is 35 mins away so very stress free, we can only afford an inside cabin really and the bit more for P&O would have just stretched us a bit far as its the second cruise within a year but we will be thrilled to get to the Caribbean.

Thanks again for being so friendly and helpful,

Vicki :):):):):)

well done for booking. I loved the Caribbean and am going for the second time next January.

I see you have P&O credit. Just make sure it doesn't have an expiry date! Some of them (depending on the reason) have to be used within a certain time.

well done for booking. I loved the Caribbean and am going for the second time next January.

I see you have P&O credit. Just make sure it doesn't have an expiry date! Some of them (depending on the reason) have to be used within a certain time.

Thanks Sharon, yes I need to use it by November 2014 but as long as booked by then can sail anytime after.

Hoping to use it for Caribbean winter 2014/15 for Caribbean again. Do you happen to know when prices are released for then, is it this April?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk

Archived