Thomson confiscating your Duty Free

Bought gin at Man for "getting ready" g+t. On embarkation all alcohol is now removed, labelled and will be returned on leaving for packing. Soooo mad - people kicking off everywhere. I am in the Caribbean - may not be all ships. If you buy alcohol or cigs from onboard shop, same thing, given to you for packing.

Put booze in your suitcase!

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk.

Hi jaceyar

Can you get the Surname of the bloke called Creig from anybody that was on last week as He was looking into the bottles of Pinot that was not available only by the glass;)

You can email me I would appreciate it

Bob

Just returned from the dream and your right they take your bottles away and give them back on last night.

They run out of Pinot Wine on our 3rd day of our 14 day cruise, so I got 3 bottles in the port and took them to my cabin, I went up to deck 10 smoking deck and asked for a bucket of ice and 2 glasses, the waitress said that I should pay corkage of £8 but as they didn't have any bottles of Pinot she allowed us to drink them.

All of a sudden 2 glasses of Pinot was ordered by friends we met on board so they did have bottles but only sold it by the glass!

I said to the waitress how do you get the glasses if you got no bottles, as bottles are on the drinks menu, She replied I am sorry sir but she has been told to only sell glasses of wine not bottles.

The 2nd week I got 3 bottles at the port agin and they were taken off me and put in storage until last night to pack in my case, who wants to take Pinot home when we can buy it cheaper in sain....s 3 for £12.

I had 1 on Sunday morning and gave the other 2 to the bar staff who really appreciated it.

A man called Creig who was suppose to be a top man from thomson management spoke to me and he said what's on the menu they should sell it to you,and was going to look into why glasses and not bottles.

If anybody on this forum knows this man Creig I would like his Surname.

perhaps some of the blame for this new policy could be put on those passengers who have been consuming their own drinks in the bars rather than in their cabins, seen it often enough,bottles coming out of handbags,drinks being transported up in lifts (cant recall any bars on lower decks) ,im suprised thomsons have not got the hump before now

perhaps some of the blame for this new policy could be put on those passengers who have been consuming their own drinks in the bars rather than in their cabins, seen it often enough,bottles coming out of handbags,drinks being transported up in lifts (cant recall any bars on lower decks) ,im suprised thomsons have not got the hump before now

This seemed common practice last year when we were on the Dream. Seems that the cheeky minority may have spoiled it for the rest of us.

This seemed common practice last year when we were on the Dream. Seems that the cheeky minority may have spoiled it for the rest of us.

If that's the case it really is a shame. It does bring another perspective to the situation.

Those who just want a 'getting ready' drink in their cabin (i.e abiding by the spirit of the concession to drink in your cabin) are now being penalised for the actions of others. I don't think it's acceptable to drink your own drinks in a bar - pubs and hotels wouldn't allow it and I think that's reasonable. And if it's become a widespread practice then I can understand Thomson's response!

I've been bemoaning the changes introduced by Thomson which are impacting on passengers and thinking it's mean - but from your posts it seems it's the short-sightedness of some passengers which has been the catalyst (couldn't they anticipate it would eventually lead to a clamp down?) Oh dear - can't see a reversal of the decision then in that case!

Another case of the few spoiling things for the many! :(

If that's the case it really is a shame. It does bring another perspective to the situation.

Those who just want a 'getting ready' drink in their cabin (i.e abiding by the spirit of the concession to drink in your cabin) are now being penalised for the actions of others. I don't think it's acceptable to drink your own drinks in a bar - pubs and hotels wouldn't allow it and I think that's reasonable. And if it's become a widespread practice then I can understand Thomson's response!

I've been bemoaning the changes introduced by Thomson which are impacting on passengers and thinking it's mean - but from your posts it seems it's the short-sightedness of some passengers which has been the catalyst (couldn't they anticipate it would eventually lead to a clamp down?) Oh dear - can't see a reversal of the decision then in that case!

Another case of the few spoiling things for the many! :(

How many bars and hotels (including Thomson hotels) have you been to where they confiscate your own bottles until you leave? Yet they manage the situation ok.

So why should a ship be any different? Maybe the staff should be sterner (enforce it better), rather than spot it and complain to management (I presume that's what they do, for them to find out about it).

At the end of the day, how many do this anyway? You always have to expect a small element will do it (ever been to a wedding at a posh hotel - someone will always have a bottle - the majority won't though), but the majority won't, I'd rather they just stuck 10p on a drink to cover their losses than impose strict rules on everyone.

Put a brief message up, let's see if it get's answered or deleted.

Copy of what I put (before they delete it)

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

sodafountain says:29/03/2013 at 09:09

I have just heard that you no longer allow cruisers to bring their own drink on board for drinking in the cabin. Is this across all ships and destinations, or just the Dream and/or The Caribbean?

Also, someone said cigarettes bought in the duty free shop are no longer allowed to be smoked on board, you have to wait till the end of your holiday to collect them, why is this?

So, what's the odds that if they answer, it will be something like "this information is being communicated to customers when they arrive onboard"?

How many bars and hotels (including Thomson hotels) have you been to where they confiscate your own bottles until you leave? Yet they manage the situation ok.

So why should a ship be any different? Maybe the staff should be sterner (enforce it better), rather than spot it and complain to management (I presume that's what they do, for them to find out about it).

At the end of the day, how many do this anyway? You always have to expect a small element will do it (ever been to a wedding at a posh hotel - someone will always have a bottle - the majority won't though), but the majority won't, I'd rather they just stuck 10p on a drink to cover their losses than impose strict rules on everyone.

Fair comment - but I guess it all hinges on just how prevalent it is. No I haven't been to a hotel where they confiscate your own bottles but by the same token I must say I haven't been to any pub or hotel where I have seen people bringing their own bottles of alcohol to drink in the bars either. Just saying that there is apparently another side to consider.

Maybe Thomson should start charging people when they order glasses of ice? Seems unreasonable? Yes, but when the small bottle of vodka/gin etc then appears and tops the ice up...and the culprits then brag about it...and you have paid £199 a week each for the AI then it does not seem so unreasonable to stop people bringing their own drinks on board. :rolleyes:

Maybe Thomson should start charging people when they order glasses of ice? Seems unreasonable? Yes, but when the small bottle of vodka/gin etc then appears and tops the ice up...and the culprits then brag about it...and you have paid £199 a week each for the AI then it does not seem so unreasonable to stop people bringing their own drinks on board. :rolleyes:

Another valid and reasonable point of view! ;)

I still think having drink for your consumption in your cabin is perfectly reasonable, taking your own alcohol to bars isn't. But it's applying the 'rules' and people adhering to them which is obviously causing problems.

I have to be honest. The somewhat indignant comments (that have been posted on 3 seperate threads!) from a member have left me a little shocked. I had no idea this sort of think was commonplace and can fully understand Thomson's position. However I think they would be much better enforcing a corkage charge rather than enforcing a blanket duty free ban.

Perhaps the real issue is that people who like a drink aren't offered AI deals in the Caribbean, and are therefore trying to find other ways of getting a deal.

Put a brief message up, let's see if it get's answered or deleted.

Copy of what I put (before they delete it)

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

sodafountain says:29/03/2013 at 09:09

I have just heard that you no longer allow cruisers to bring their own drink on board for drinking in the cabin. Is this across all ships and destinations, or just the Dream and/or The Caribbean?

Also, someone said cigarettes bought in the duty free shop are no longer allowed to be smoked on board, you have to wait till the end of your holiday to collect them, why is this?

So, what's the odds that if they answer, it will be something like "this information is being communicated to customers when they arrive onboard"?

Good luck with that! The ignorant *%&$s have deleted the last 4 comments I put on the blog without responding. I've given up with it now, they seem quite content to give incorrect advice to their customers.

Another valid and reasonable point of view! ;)

I still think having drink for your consumption in your cabin is perfectly reasonable, taking your own alcohol to bars isn't. But it's applying the 'rules' and people adhering to them which is obviously causing problems.

Agree, it must be a difficult one really and to be honest i hadnt even thought people might take their own drink into the bars !

When we went on Brillince last year we "smuggled" on a small amount of Bacardi to have a drink in the cabin each night as we got ready. We only did this as their bar prices are so high. I know many that did the same and think its quite common when the rules are so strict and the prices are so high.

Thomsons bar prices are good, its a real cheek if people take their own alcohol into the bars and if this has happened ( which now its been mentioned i would think poss happens more than we think!) then maybe you can see their point of view.

Probably a case of a few spoiling it for the rest of us.

I saw a new thread on here yesterday, someone asking about the managers name, he said they had run out of Pinot on board so he bought some ashore, cant remember the whole of the post but he did say during the first week he took a bottle of his own wine onto the prom deck and asked for 2 glasses and a bucket of ice, he then said when he tried to bring more on the second week he was stopped and the wine taken from him.

Could this be the straw that broke the camels back?

Not meaning in any way to point the finger at him at all and may have got it wrong.

Think his name was Grab or similar.

Really hope they sort it out and things get back to normal so those of us who stick to the rules can still have a drink in the cabin or buy ciggarettes on board and smoke them, my husband is a smoker so will really effect us but im sure things wont be as bad as they seem at the moment once things settle down.

So, you can't keep any alcohol bought in duty free on your way to the ship, you can't keep any alcohol bought from the shop on the ship, you can't keep any alcohol bought ashore and bring back to the ship.

That sure is blanket coverage to stop the odd person sneaking a tipple out of their own bottle at a bar. Yes the minority have spoiled things for the majority in a big way if that is the case.

Have been reading with Interest, you think Thomson's are being petty? think of the poor people on the Princess cruise, not only do they take the bottles off you they actually destroy them??

(3:46 p.m. EST) -- Princess Cruises began its anticipated crackdown of contraband alcohol March 27 as passengers boarded Golden Princess for a 14-night Hawaii sailing. Smuggled alcohol was disposed of as it was found.

Cruise Critic was first alerted to the extent of the crackdown by community member Antsp, who posted immediately after boarding Golden Princess.

"Just boarded the Golden. Any alcohol in your luggage is now being removed and destroyed. It just happened to me. Major arguments going on down on deck 4. The new alcohol policy is now in full force. Be warned."

In later posts, he detailed finding a yellow tag on his cabin door telling him where to go to get his bags. Once he showed up he was told to open his bags in front of crew and asked to remove a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Champagne. Crew then placed the bottles in a large grey bin. The empty vodka bottle was returned to him later that day.

Princess Cruises' vice president of public relations Julie Benson confirmed the line began implementing the new alcohol policy on Golden Princess but said passengers took it in stride. The line's manager of beverage operations was in attendance during embarkation to oversee the implementation.

"He said it went very smoothly and while there may have been a few small grumblings, passengers were very cooperative and there certainly weren't major arguments that this post implies."

Benson also contested antsp's allegation that Champagne was being confiscated.

"Passengers are allowed one bottle of wine or champagne (champagne is NOT [Princess' emphasis] being confiscated as alleged) for free, and then they can bring on as many bottles of wine or champagne as they would like for a $15 per bottle corkage fee."

Other alcohol is not allowed to be brought onboard and will be confiscated. It won't be returned because the logistics of storing the contraband, then returning it to passengers is too challenging, she added.

Antsp insisted the Champagne was indeed taken and some posters pondered whether the fact that the Champagne was in checked luggage made a difference.

Benson said no, the same rule applies to checked and hand-carried baggage.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1817276

here's the link for the other thread about the Pinot.

Just re-read this and i dont think he was trying to flout the rules, he was just annoyed at another of Thomsons rules as they had nearly run out of Pinot so would only sell by the glass and not bottle so apologies if i have upset you Grab1, i was rushing about and looking on here in between, typical woman and didnt read it properly :o

Anyway im off now for a long weekend away so see you all next week ! Have fun ! ;)

If there is a major issue with people taking their own drinks into bars, which I doubt, then these people should be tackled about it, not by the enforcement of a blanket rule, mid season.

The more likely scenario is that they were looking for another way to ensure they make more money without putting prices up.

I am not usually so cynical, but Mr. Ellacott's stewardship, admittedly in very challenging economic circumstances, has been marked by a steady stream of measures which take more money out of our pockets. To quote my Dad "they better be careful or they will price themselves out of the game". He was talking about Italy in the 60's and look what happened to Spain's tourism at a time of the growth of the package holiday. The Spaniards got it right.

Incidentally, I do not have a personal axe to grind here because we have purchased AI for our Dream cruise, but I will be mad if at some stage before we go free AI and low prices are introduced for our holiday because they cannot fill the ship.

I must admit I've never seen people bringing their own drink into the bars. However if this happens I think Thomsons would be entitled to stop them, but a blanket ban does seem a bit harsh.

We have alchohol in the cabin as when we do long day excursions we often go to bed quite early and read for a while in the cabin with a drink. Having to carry drink from the bar would be a nuisance and you'd have to make more than one trip before you were able to settle down.

I sometimes wonder if they do read and take note of what is put on here, who said "the customer is always right" and i was always told when i was in sales the customer is god !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have all inc this summer but my mad half hour booking for Caribbean in Jan hasnt. Not being able to have a drink in our cabins will take the edge off it as it has stretched us financially , not that we are big drinkers at all and may only have one the odd night but when we booked we thought we could , thats the point.

Any rule changes should be made at the start of a new season and what ever it says in the brochure things have been changed quite suddenly mid-season.

If so something has made them re-think things.

Has there been a large group recently flouting the rules and taking their own drink into the bars???? I can only think its something like this that has made them suddenly clamp down like this.

And why the cigerette rule ???

Totally over the top.

Thomsons make huge profits but i agree they cant put up with people taking the micky and i think it will turn out that there have been several instances of people on various ships really being ....'s and have spoilt it for all of us !! :mad::mad::mad:

Good luck with that! The ignorant *%&$s have deleted the last 4 comments I put on the blog without responding. I've given up with it now, they seem quite content to give incorrect advice to their customers.

And the answer is...........

Lauren @Thomson says:29/03/2013 at 10:41

Hi Steve, If you have a cruise coming up, you’ll be given all the relevant details once you board.

Why doesn't that surprise me, no answer at all :rolleyes:

Archived