Sugar Free Deserts - What do they use?

Hi,

On RCCL's new menu I notice they say they use a very good 'sugar substitute'.

Does anyone know if the sugar substitute is an artificial sweetener like aspartame, saccharine, etc or a natural sugar substitute like Stevia extract?

It is not Stevia. I would bet money is a cheaper Splenda product. They also give it to you when you ask for Splenda, but it's just another brand of Sucralose.

I have tried Stevia in baked goods and I think it stinks. JMHO

But that would be a good question for your wait server. I do know that the sugar free desserts are wonderful. I love the CoConut Cake.

email them here: special_needs @ rccl.com

(spaces intentional so you can that there is an underscore between special needs, remove spaces for the actual address)

Ask them if they can provide you with the ingredient information because certain artificial sweeteners give you headaches.

Thanks for the replies that attempted to be helpful.:p

I avoid sugar free stuff in general if it's artificial sweetener as they all cause issue with your bodies functions & many have been proven to actually cause weight gain.

Hence lots of obese people out there that drink diet coke for example.

I was just curious as if it had been Stevia based I may have tried a few next cruise.:)

Oh well, will just work off those normal deserts in the gym if I undulge.

I go to the gym every singe day on a cruise. I am a gym rat, work out 1.5 to 2 hours a day. So when I want a suger free peanut butter cookie I don't feel guilty. I tell the waiter the first night to bring me a salad and steamed veggies as I am pretty much a veggie, so I try hard to eat healthy even when on a cruise, but the gym helps me work off whatever I indulge in.

I would be interested to know this too. After many years of itchy, itchy whelts and many doctors it was determined I was allergic to aspertame.

I can eat sucralose so I'm constantly reading labels. I'm not diabetic and don't eat many sugarfree products..mainly soda (I'd rather not drink my calories:D). A lot of the sugarfree desserts on RCI look really good, but I avoid. It would be nice if they used a different sweetner than aspertame.

If anyone finds out, please post back.

Thanks for the replies that attempted to be helpful.:p

I avoid sugar free stuff in general if it's artificial sweetener as they all cause issue with your bodies functions & many have been proven to actually cause weight gain.

Hence lots of obese people out there that drink diet coke for example.

I was just curious as if it had been Stevia based I may have tried a few next cruise.:)

Oh well, will just work off those normal deserts in the gym if I undulge.

LOL - the problem is not the diet Coke but the double cheeseburger & fries that went with it. :cool:

I was absolutely paranoid about the sugar free deserts and treats on my last cruise. I had 2 horrible bouts with Splenda in unlabled foods prior to the cruise so I asked the poor servers in the WJ about every single item I tried to make sure it was real and not sugar free. And I tried a lot of them. :D

LOL - the problem is not the diet Coke but the double cheeseburger & fries that went with it. :cool:

I was absolutely paranoid about the sugar free deserts and treats on my last cruise. I had 2 horrible bouts with Splenda in unlabled foods prior to the cruise so I asked the poor servers in the WJ about every single item I tried to make sure it was real and not sugar free. And I tried a lot of them. :D

I know you are just having fun regards the cheeseburger line- although the cheeseburgers etc are a huge problem, but saying diet coke isn't the problem is actually unintentionally dismissing one of the biggest health problems out there - artificial sweetners.

Anyone eating products with artificial sweetners should stop - immediately - as they are proven to not only create weight gain but damage your body in so many ways that it's quite horrific.

Those with diabetes, especially the type 2 that is in many cases a product of poor eating for what can be decades, resulting in obesity, in most cases can actually be worse off using artificial sweetners.

Replace diet soda with water & you will lose weight. I know drinking water is dull for many people people, but being dead from obesity related disease is actually a lot duller!

Here are some links for those interested:

Dr Oz series of videos about artificial sweetners

Truth about Apartame

Artificial Sweetners cause weight gain

Thank god I have never been one to eat diet foods with artificial sweetners even though I have a sweet tooth, & maybe consequently that is part of why I am in a healthy weight range?

We have to see the correlation with diet, the rise of artificial sweetners and the increase in obecity & it's related diseases in the last 40 years.

Sorry to be negative but life is precious & if one person reads this & realises what they are doing to themselves & changes, then that's a big positive.:)

I have diabetes. Technically, I was classified as a type 2, although I was in my early 20s at the time and NOT obese. To me, having the option to eat dessert (sugar free) or even just sweeten my tea is a Godsend! Sure, artificial sweeteners can cause weight gain, but as a diabetic, without them, eating would be very one-dimensional.

I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 13 and generally don't eat desserts at all. Since starting cruising I have been eating sugar free dessert every night at dinner but I have found after the 4th night I start to get bad stomach cramps :eek: and then I have to stop the desserts. Its a pity they couldn't use an artificial sweetner that wouldn't cause that to happen

Carol

The sugar-free key lime pie is BETTER than the sugar version! The whole family agrees and we look for it every cruise. Seems like they only have it one night.

I concur with this point... Even did a taste test ;). (And I have found it available in the WJ more than once per cruise!)

ude2ugu6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This can be balanced for us diabetics by cutting carbs throughout the day...

Just remember that even though a dessert may be sugar free, there are still lots of carbs in them. They are usually cakes or pies and have a lot of flour in them.

You are using Mercola as the bellwether of good health? The man's a quack and is just trying to sell dietary supplements that he markets as "natural" and makes all sorts of false claims about anything that isn't sold on his site.

Mercola has been the subject of criticism from the business, medical and scientific communities. A 2006 BusinessWeek editorial criticized Mercola's marketing practices as "relying on slick promotion, clever use of information, and scare tactics." In 2005, 2006, and 2011 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned Mercola and his company to stop making illegal claims regarding his products' ability to detect, prevent and treat disease. The medical watchdog site Quackwatch has criticized Mercola for making "unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations [and making] many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements."

In the end food is food. 3500 calories = 1# and it doesn't matter if it comes from an egg, a chocolate bar, or a 3 course meal at Chops...

Of course fresh food is best and there should be a balance of carbs, protein, and fat.

As long a you take in less than you use you won't gain weight...

Archived