Dressing

Alecs Gram

What is the appropriate type of clothes to wear on the European cruises? It sound like it is dressier than what they wear on the American Western cruises and I want to make sure we are dressed appropriately.

What cruiseline are you sailing? Dress code varies.

I want to make sure we are properly dressed. My grandson is from San Diego and they are all very casual. I assume he will need to wear long pants and shirts on excursions but I would like to know how dressy. Can he wear leviis and walking shorts at all?

Can he wear leviis and walking shorts at all?

Absolutely! Dress off the ship is not so different than what you will see in the States. Weather dependent, jeans, shorts, nice tops (even t-shirts) while on excursions. Athletic shoes or rubber soled shoes are preferred because of rugged terrain and/or cobblestone streets.

I think the real difference was at dinner. Dressy Casual for dinner most nights. You will still see a little bit of everything, but no jeans at dinner was the norm. Kakhi's were okay, polo shirts were ok. For ladies, nice dress pants and tops. Formal night is like any other, anywhere, you will see a little of everything. You will, however, see many more tux's than here in the States.

Don't worry overly about your attire...you'll be too busy enjoying yourself to even think about it! :D

...I found my comments on attire to be the norm on both Celebrity and RCI. Can't speak to other cruise lines in the Med.

In churches or religious sites you may need knees, shoulders and/or head covered. Just research and see if you'll need to cover up where you will be going.

Thank you so much. I was worried that he would be uncomfortable the whole trip but it sounds like he will be fine as he is. He always dresses for dinner but enjoys his shorts and levis for hanging out. Appreciate you time and help.

What time of year? The summer is hot & humid. ockers-type pants will be more comfortable than jeans.

Agree with Sadie and was just going to post the same. On our Med cruise, we didn't even take jeans. I can't imagine wearing them in, say, Rome when the temperature soars to over 100 F. Awful. The men in your party will be more comfortable in lightweight, light-colored pants; there are pants which unzip off into shorts - those might be worth a look.

But yes, as others have said, you'll have to research your ports, maybe go to an online weather site and type in your cities to get an idea of what temperatures to expect, and plan accordingly.

This is a good question. Sally and I once had a discussion with a European couple on the topic of dressing for evening meals. They said they can identify Americans on European cruises because they dress like they are going to a buffet.

European culture looks at evening meals as an event to enjoy good food and good company for most of the evening. They think Americans approach meals as something they have to get out of the way so they can move on to the next activity.

I'm told that casual dress is the preference, and stylish jeans are considered evening dress in Europe. Not sure what stylish jeans are.

Burt

Agree with Sadie and was just going to post the same. On our Med cruise, we didn't even take jeans. I can't imagine wearing them in, say, Rome when the temperature soars to over 100 F. Awful. The men in your party will be more comfortable in lightweight, light-colored pants; there are pants which unzip off into shorts - those might be worth a look.

But yes, as others have said, you'll have to research your ports, maybe go to an online weather site and type in your cities to get an idea of what temperatures to expect, and plan accordingly.

When is your cruise?

(Relative to California) the weather will be worse than the Sacramento Delta in August.

We were in Rome in August 2010 and it was over 90F, over 90% humidity and no air movement between the stone buildings. Very few places have air conditioning.

DD goes to school in Rome and is always miserable between midMay to midSeptember. She grew up near San Bernardino.

This is a good question. Sally and I once had a discussion with a European couple on the topic of dressing for evening meals. They said they can identify Americans on European cruises because they dress like they are going to a buffet.

European culture looks at evening meals as an event to enjoy good food and good company for most of the evening. They think Americans approach meals as something they have to get out of the way so they can move on to the next activity.

I'm told that casual dress is the preference, and stylish jeans are considered evening dress in Europe. Not sure what stylish jeans are.

Burt

Stylish Jeans are jeans you would not wear to muck out the horse barn.:p

Stylish Jeans are jeans you would not wear to muck out the horse barn.:p

Ah, thank you. I'm being careful because forum members of the female persuasion have given me pointed opinions on stylish wear in other discussions.

I've learned from my eternally lovely wife and very persuasive daughter that I will never have the right opinion, so I shouldn't even try. I thought my wife was a fluke, but raising the daughter convinced me that all women know better than I and that the law is the law. Unless they change it of course.

You know, I'm starting to understand why I enjoy alone time on my motorcycle.

Burt

Archived