First time to Barcelona and need transportation help

waitnc

We will be 4 adults with 4 medium sized suitcases (plus a carryon each) looking to get to our hotel from the airport. We are arriving on a Friday around 1130am and I was wondering if the 4 of us would fit into 1 taxi or will it be too tight. How much roughly would it cost for a taxi or would we be better to arrange private transportation. We are staying at Hotel Curious so I know the aerobus is a option, I just don't know if I want go that route since we would have been travelling for over 12 hours and we are not familiar with the city.

Also, the next day the 4 of us will be heading to port. Is it possible to call for a larger taxi to take the 4 of us together and any idea what the cost would be? Also, what do I tell the driver so he know where to take us? From the pictures, the port looks huge. We will be travelling on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas.

Thanks for your help, this is our first cruise and our first trip to Barcelona.

We will be 4 adults with 4 medium sized suitcases (plus a carryon each) looking to get to our hotel from the airport. We are arriving on a Friday around 1130am and I was wondering if the 4 of us would fit into 1 taxi or will it be too tight. How much roughly would it cost for a taxi or would we be better to arrange private transportation. We are staying at Hotel Curious so I know the aerobus is a option, I just don't know if I want go that route since we would have been travelling for over 12 hours and we are not familiar with the city.

Also, the next day the 4 of us will be heading to port. Is it possible to call for a larger taxi to take the 4 of us together and any idea what the cost would be? Also, what do I tell the driver so he know where to take us? From the pictures, the port looks huge. We will be travelling on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas.

Thanks for your help, this is our first cruise and our first trip to Barcelona.

Personally, I would use a taxi or pre-arranged transport from the airport over the bus given your situation. I don't know much about pre-arranged transport to give you tips with that. There are some mini-van type taxis that might hold the 4 of you, but if you don't pre-arrange, there may be nothing but smaller taxis in the taxi line. So I would be prepared to have to take 2 taxis if you havne't found a way to pre-arrange for transport. I don't know the pricing either, but it was not outrageously priced compared to other large cities when we used them. Maybe something like 30 euros per taxi for the trip??? It will be well worth it after your long flight and with your bags.

To get to the cruise port, tell your driver to go to Moll Adossat (in Catalan) or as Muelle Adosado (in Spanish). The driver will likely be speaking Catalan. As you approach the port, you'll go over a high bridge and from there you will be able to see (and point out your specific ship) to the driver. The ships that are in port that day will be lined up end to end (up to 4 of them, I think) at different terminals. You can't really miss them or get to the wrong one easily. You will be able to have your hotel call you a taxi and I suppose they can request a big one if it's available, but be aware that when a hotel calls a taxi for you, the taxi will arrive with the meter already running. They start it when they get the call to come to the hotel. If you go out front of the hotel and find your own waiting taxi, you will only pay starting when you get in the car. Again, I do recommend taking a taxi or 2 (or pre-arranged transport) to the port with your number of people and bags. Public transport would be a hassle, I think.

At the airport the taxi despatcher will sort out one big enough for you, simply indicate to him the number if people and bags.

I strongly reccommend having a printout of your hotel name and address to show the driver- very few speak English. Also note that if you want to pay by credit card, make this known to the despatcher.

Also note that each piece if luggage in the boot (trunk) incurs an additional charge added on at the end of the journey-you will see the standard fare click up, then at the end of the journey the luggage will be added.

At the airport the taxi despatcher will sort out one big enough for you, simply indicate to him the number if people and bags.

I strongly reccommend having a printout of your hotel name and address to show the driver- very few speak English. Also note that if you want to pay by credit card, make this known to the despatcher.

Also note that each piece if luggage in the boot (trunk) incurs an additional charge added on at the end of the journey-you will see the standard fare click up, then at the end of the journey the luggage will be added.

Do you know if the dispatcher will speak English? Thanks for the idea of writting down the hotel name and address, I will for sure do that. Are the drivers fairly honest, or should I ask for a receipt upfront? Any idea on the luggage cost...I assume it would be around 1 euro/each

Just to clarify some of the points made here

As SwissDave says, the taxi dispatcher will allocate a larger taxi if you need one. However – there is no guarantee that there will be a larger vehicle available. You may have to wait a while.

As from 2013, Barcelona taxis no longer charge extra for luggage

A taxi from the airport would cost about €25-30. Although a taxi can take up to 4 people it probably isn’t possible if you have a lot of luggage.

You can pre-order your transfer with BCN Travel for a vehicle for 7 people for €69 which is only slightly more than 2 taxis.

Recently someone here on CC suggested Sun Transfers. They only seem to charge €55.94 for up to 7 people which is much cheaper. I do not have any personal experience with this company so I cannot comment on how reliable they are.

Again to the cruise port. Two taxis would be about €30-40. Private transfer for up to 7 people about €60.

If you decide on taxis, as MeHeartCruising said, do not get the hotel to call your taxi. You will pay €4-5 extra for this.

Also, as has been said, write down your hotel name and your ship name to show the taxi driver. If you use BCN Travel your driver will be able to speak English but it is still a good idea to show him the name written down.

I'll just add my experience so OP can get an idea of the capacity of a taxi. We were four adults, each with an airline-sized carryon (21-22 inches or thereabouts) plus small hand luggage, such as soft sided totes and messenger bags, were able to take one regular-sized taxi from the airport to the hotel, but we just fit. Anything bigger, and we probably would have needed two taxis. Hope this helps.

Oh, our taxi driver spoke a little English and I speak a little Spanish, so we had no problems taking taxis any time while in the city. We took at least four or five taxis during our stay, and only one driver spoke no English.

Are the drivers fairly honest, or should I ask for a receipt upfront?

I've never had a problem in the many times I have taken a taxi from the airport (or around the city either).

All the public taxis have meters which the driver will start when you get in. As English_in_Spain has pointed out that luggage is no longer charged extra for (Hooray!!) the price shown should be the price paid, unless there are any additionals such as for dropping off at certain locations, or certain times of night/public holidays etc.

You mention that the Aerobus is an option, that is what we used and we had a similar amount of luggage. It was very easy and cost 5 € per person. We had to walk about two blocks from the bus stop to our hotel.

I will say after a long flight, I prefer a private car/van, even if a bit more expensive. Having the driver meet you at baggage claim or nearby and help with bags, etc is a bit of a relief and well worth the few euros to me.

We arranged ours through our hotel, prices were in line with what was posted above (I think we paid 55 euros plus tip). The driver had cold water waiting, too.

I used Sun Transfers last year - as did a few of my fellow roll callers - all with good results - and probably cheaper as well? Nice to have them waiting for you after a long overnight flight and no hassles lining up for a cab (I do not sleep well on planes so having this service was great!).

I used Sun Transfers last year - as did a few of my fellow roll callers - all with good results - and probably cheaper as well? Nice to have them waiting for you after a long overnight flight and no hassles lining up for a cab (I do not sleep well on planes so having this service was great!).

I am glad you were happy with Sun Transfers. As I said above, they seem much cheaper then their competitors but I had not heard from anyone with personal experience before.

We shared a taxi from the ship to the airport with another couple and we have no problems fitting 4 adults and suitcases in a taxi. Between the four of us we had two medium and two large suitcases along with two backpacks.

Just checked out Sun Transfers and for the 4 of us and 4 pieces of luggage the cost is 39.47 euro. Thinking that for around 10 extra euros it might be worth it to book the private transfer instead of worrying about getting a taxi. Do you normally tip the drive or just round up the total?

Great price - add a tip or round up - depending on service? Worth it to have someone waiting for you at arrivals (they will monitor your flights in case they are late)....everyone that used them on my cruise was very happy with them!

There really is no need to tip the driver, it is not expected. However if you insist on doing so, and depending on fare paid, maybe 5 Euros. When in BCN if the taxi fare is e.g. 28.50 from airport to my hotel then i round it up to 30, .... It makes it easier to fill in my expenses form.

For me, tipping depends on how helpful the driver is.

I have mobility problems and have a walker which, in addition to any luggage, needs to go in the boot (trunk) of the taxi.

If the driver helps with the walker and the suitcases then we will tip. If this is the case we would probably tip €5 on a journey from the airport.

Archived