Help getting birth certificate

I was wondering if any of you have any information to help me.

My neighbor was born in Toronto and is a naturalized US citizen. When he served in the US armed forces, he gave them his birth certificate and naturalization papers. He now wants to start the process to get Social Security and needs to obtain new copies of these papers.

The only forms we have found require him to get a Canadian citizen to verify information, and he knows none.

Do any of you have any ideas as to what to do? or any web-links?

Thanks.

Michelle

LHT, thanks, I had gotten to that site, but the guarantor needs to be Canadian. (You can see that on the PDF version.) That is where we have the hang up.

My friend cannot go to Toronto to get a copy since he doesn't have his BC to cross the border! (good ole' Catch 22)

Any ideas on the guarantor?

Thanks.

Michelle

You are correct in that the guarantor has to be Canadian (it says that on the application form). My only suggestion is that you make contact and ask if a US guarantor is acceptable - and if so, which one(s).

My understanding of a guarantor is that they are looking for a reputable person - by profession - who would have repercussions (from their professional association) for falsely declaring something about a person.

Good luck. :)

LHT, thanks, I had gotten to that site, but the guarantor needs to be Canadian. (You can see that on the PDF version.) That is where we have the hang up.

My friend cannot go to Toronto to get a copy since he doesn't have his BC to cross the border! (good ole' Catch 22)

Any ideas on the guarantor?

Thanks.

Michelle

I would have him call the 1-800 number and ask if he can get a notary or some professional eg: lawyer in the U.S. to sign the application.

I didn't notice where they have to be Canadian they just have to be available to answer questions if they call to check on you

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/guarantors.htm

Does he have a passport? He can use that to cross over if need be.

He can have a nice vacation while here!:)

• 8 months later...

Hi Michelle,

Looking for birth docs and naturalization papers shouldn't be that difficult.

If he gave up his documentation on enlisting into the US Armed Forces, the administrative unit/Recruiting Centre responsible for his recruitment should have the documentation on file. For most files, there is a legislated retention period after which time files are generally "archived." That being the case, files can still be requested from archives.

I would submit that his first stop should be that unit/Recruiting Centre where he joined, then the archived files. In as much as the docs were transmitted to the care of the US Armed Forces upon enlistment, I'd suggest that the cost of obtaining new documentation should be claimable thru the branch of the service that recruited him.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!

I called and talked w/ someone and got some information about what to do. It took over 3 months to get an e-mail reply, but we finally did. He had to have a notarized letter stating all of the information that is required on the regular Canadian request, and then a letter saying why he was writing a letter and all of the reasons why he didn't have his birth certificate. After that it took a couple of months, but he finally did get his birth certificate.

Thank you everyone who gave us information.

• 3 months later...

Archived