Seasick on Oasis?

To the OP, whatever you do DO NOT LISTEN to the people who say, "Ah don't worry about it, you'll be fine." This is TERRIBLE advice! These are obviously people who do not get seasick, so they don't feel any movement. I am very prone to motion sickness, sometimes movement that feels like nothing to one person feels like a LOT to me. So prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best but DO NOT just assume everything will be fine.

Thanks for all the advice. I have my dramamine, seabands and a small amount of Bonine (my local CVS was out). Do they sell it on the ship if I need more??
It will cost 3 times as much. Try Walmart

don't use dramamine unless it's non drowsy. Bonine is best

Our family of 5 is leaving on Oasis this Sat. This is our first cruise! Obviously, booked this ship because all of the fabulous things to do, but in part because I had heard the larger the ship, the less you feel the sailing. My DD is prone to motion sickness. Can anyone comment on their experiences with this ship? Sailing Western Caribbean so hoping for calm seas :)

We felt movement two weeks ago and many shows were cancelled or rescheduled. The crew said it was the 2nd roughest sailing they remembered. I had no difficulty at all, but my DW sure did. She gave the DDs Gravol to be safe.

Here is a picture of what was to be found on EVERY stairwell on EVERY level for the first 3 days of our cruise.

2013OasisoftheSeascruise315_zps7549a003.jpg

I am assured that this is not common on most Oasis cruises however.

Yes, when we were on Oasis we were in tropical storm force winds and that ship ROCKED! I just couldn't believe how much we could feel despite the size of the ship. We sailed in June and there just happened to be a TS. I do get seasick but just taking the Bonine helped tremendously. I also always have a green apple with me just in case. That has saved me many a time! Even though we could feel the rocking, it was nothing like it would have been if we would have been on a smaller ship. OA and AL are just simply AMAZING ships and you'll love it even if you have a little bit of sea turbulence!

To the OP, whatever you do DO NOT LISTEN to the people who say, "Ah don't worry about it, you'll be fine." This is TERRIBLE advice! These are obviously people who do not get seasick, so they don't feel any movement. I am very prone to motion sickness, sometimes movement that feels like nothing to one person feels like a LOT to me. So prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best but DO NOT just assume everything will be fine.

Agree! I get motion sick on planes, cruises and vehicles!! Just be prepared!! Yes, Dramamine has a less drowsy formula (unless u take it at night) Make sure you get that one. I like the patch, but like the other person stated, there are side effects. Dry mouth is the big one for me. I just drink more water. I just prefer this than remembering to take pills every few hours, as this lasts for 3 days. I also don't have to worry about being sick at night. As I said. I get motion sick if a dolphin swims by. Lol. Good luck!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I have my dramamine, seabands and a small amount of Bonine (my local CVS was out). Do they sell it on the ship if I need more??
It will cost 3 times as much. Try Walmart

don't use dramamine unless it's non drowsy. Bonine is best

I'm curious how much Walmart charges for bonine.:confused: RCI hands out bonine for FREE at Guest Relations; has every RCI cruise I've taken (including Oasis as recently as January).

Thom

Here at my local Walmart I can buy a bottle of chewable Meclizine (same as Bonine-it's the generic name) for around $5- 100 tablets. You have to ask for it at the drug counter where you go to get RX filled. It's not out on display.

Bonine is a lot more expensive. I think 16 pills are around $5.

You can get sick on any ship. I use the chewable generic Meclizine now. I used to buy less drowsy dramamine, but the generic is a lot cheaper. 100 tabs of generic for what I used to pay for 8 tabs of the bonine/less drowsy dramamine. They are identical, no additional inert ingredients.

I have no drowsiness issues with it, even when I drink.

I take it twice a day starting the day before the cruise if leaving out of the NE or if seas are rough. Once in the caribbean and smoother seas, I take it once per day. I know I get sea sick if I don't take it-I found out the hard way and it works wonders.

Agree! I get motion sick on planes, cruises and vehicles!! Just be prepared!! Yes, Dramamine has a less drowsy formula (unless u take it at night) Make sure you get that one. I like the patch, but like the other person stated, there are side effects. Dry mouth is the big one for me. I just drink more water. I just prefer this than remembering to take pills every few hours, as this lasts for 3 days. I also don't have to worry about being sick at night. As I said. I get motion sick if a dolphin swims by. Lol. Good luck!!!

I am a patch wearer also. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe because I'm a pretty big guy, but I don't feel any side effects from it. It's great to be able to just put it on and forget about it and not have to do anything until 3 days later!

On our last Oasis cruise it felt like we were on land for the most part. Every now and then you feel a shudder for just a sec or so, but nothing like the older and smaller RCCL ships.

We last sailed on the Serenade of the Seas in 2011 on a Southern itinerary from San Juan to Aruba St. Kitts and Curacao. On both sea days crossing the Caribbean Sea we were in substantial storms. The ship was heaving side to side and fore to aft. We were slightly sick but many of the crew were very sick. Most said they had never seen such rough seas.

The Allure and Oasis are immense ships with the latest technology to keep them stable. I would not worry one bit about becoming sick.

Couldn't agree more! People who don't get seasick shouldn't even weigh in - they have no understanding of it. My husband feels nothing while I'm turning green. Bonine or Dramamine II. I used the patches once, but must have messed with me contacts...my pupils dilated to the point where I could practically see in be dark. My husban said it was like being in bed with an owl. :) I've usually adapted by day 2, but I've never started the bonine the day before. I'm going to give that a shot!

The Allure and Oasis are immense ships with the latest technology to keep them stable. I would not worry one bit about becoming sick.

BUT...... to you and to everyone else who said practically this same thing, that doesn't mean one will not feel seasick on Oasis or Allure, either a little or a lot. I felt ill the first night out, and then I was fine. But I did feel it... I did, and she is the largest and probably the most stable ship afloat.

I can't agree with those who say "don't worry about it". For some, there is the concern.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobiecat01

You did see this picture, right? Those things were put there for a reason!

Here is a picture of what was to be found on EVERY stairwell on EVERY level for the first 3 days of our cruise.

2013OasisoftheSeascruise315_zps7549a003.jpg

I use the patches that go behind the ear! Leaving in a few days on the epic. And I don't care how big the ship is. I'm not chancing it. I will put it on from the car ride to the airport and take it off when I get home :)

Same with me; I will not chance it.:)

No matter how big the ship is it is small compared to the size of the ocean you are sailing in . The weather would dictate how rough the seas are

Absolutely the definitive response to the OP's question.

Don't count on anything, or rely on the experiences of others shared on this thread regarding the "motion of the ocean". Most people never have had a day of motion sickness in their entire lives, while others get queasy on a see-saw.

Just be prepared for the possibility of motion sickness, use what works if it presents, and have a great cruise!

Teddie

One piece of advice I would give is try the medication before you get on the ship, especially with children. Pick a day where the person being medicated will be home all day and try the recommended dosage to see if there are any side effects. Much better to find out at home than on your cruise. Do not try it if the person may have to drive. Some people's reactions to the medication will make driving dangerous.

Enjoy,

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

My husbandm myself and two friends will be joining you on this trip! I get terrible seasick at times. I take a bonine in the morning before we head out and wear the accupressure sea bands for the first two days. Then you will get your sea legs and be fine unless there is a huge storm. Has worked for me for the past 15 or so cruises. Let's pray for good weather, sunshine, and calm seas.

"We chatted with a few of the crew and they said it was fairly normal. With the size of the ship when the wind hits it the right way you get that movement. Think about the wind hitting a 20+ story building."

The strong winds cause the Oasis and Allure to slide, side to side. I haven't felt either of them rock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived