Internet packages on X OS, are they worth it???

Leaving this Sunday out of Bayonne NJ on the Explorer OS we would like to be able to keep in touch with our kids via Skype/email. Has anyone ever bought the internet packages and what kind of speeds are they running at and is the signal strong through-out the ship?

I know this doesn't leave us much time for replies but hoping for as much info before we sail.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info...

Leaving this Sunday out of Bayonne NJ on the Explorer OS we would like to be able to keep in touch with our kids via Skype/email. Has anyone ever bought the internet packages and what kind of speeds are they running at and is the signal strong through-out the ship?

I know this doesn't leave us much time for replies but hoping for as much info before we sail.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info...

I purchased a package last week on the Explorer and thought it was worth it. It doesn't work in the staterooms however so I went to the Cafe Promenade with my ipad and the connection was pretty good. I'm not sure what the exact speed was but it seemed pretty quick.

I don't think skype will work though.

I am not lugging my laptop but would be bringing my Kindle Fire HD which I have used Skype on quite successfully at home (with FIOS) but would hate to pay for package on the ship if it wouldnt work.

We did a B2B2B Explorer earlier this year. I felt the speed was reasonable , considering how bad it has been in the past. I do lug my laptop. I have Outlook installed , so I can compose emails and send them offline, and once online Outlook automatically sends and receives all messages. I found connecting while on the promenade to be hit or miss, but the Viking Crown Lounge gave excellent results. DW has an Ipad and she seemed to be able to work well in the promenade , and she used Facebook.

You can find the information on this FAQ page. Note that one or two ships have packages different from the ones listed here, with the base rate starting at $0.75/minute.

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Oh, and as a suggestion, it may be better not to refer to Explorer of the Seas as "X OS". "X" is commonly used as the abbreviation for Celebrity ships (they have a large X on their smokestack) due to the historical name of the company in Greek.

Oh, and as a suggestion, it may be better not to refer to Explorer of the Seas as "X OS". "X" is commonly used as the abbreviation for Celebrity ships (they have a large X on their smokestack) due to the historical name of the company in Greek.

And I thought the OP was going to ask if the internet service would work on a laptop running Mac version X operating system! :)

(QUOTE)

Thanks for the link, and I do know about the Celebrity X but I was posting questions with EOS and realized that RCI had two ships that started with E. Also being a Royal Carib. thread I figured most would understand and for those who were confused then maybe I would get info about Celebrity...???

I am not lugging my laptop but would be bringing my Kindle Fire HD which I have used Skype on quite successfully at home (with FIOS) but would hate to pay for package on the ship if it wouldnt work.

As I understand it they have Skype blocked on the ships... it uses so much bandwidth that it can create problems....

I generally stay in touch via email from the ship and make internet calls from the ports when I find cheap/free options.

Archived