Just Back from Emerald 10-day S. Carib - Questions?

freddybeachpete

I will do my best to post a review in the next couple of days but happy to answer any questions people have about our March 17-27 cruise to Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St Thomas, Princess Cays) onbord Emerald Princess. Trip was, in a word, fantastic:D

Were there any delays with customs/immigration disembarking?

Not sure if you met Marvin, one of the servers in the MDR - he's from Granada and told us about guitar dude (I think he said its his uncle?) in advance. Yes, I think it must be one of the last best jobs in the world!

You're kidding me! Yes, we had Marvin as a waiter for one dinner. I remember him well. But that was about 2 months after we met the guitar guy and I never thought to mention him. Small world!

Here he is: http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2012/12/caribbean-christmas-greetings-from-us.html

Loved your review! Thanks so much for sharing!

On our first cruise, we were "upgraded" to C108 and I would never stay that far forward again either. Too much motion from front to back and yes, heard the splashing of the water on the front or something and lots of different noises there.

The Ocean Holiday Motel...if not renting a car, do they come get you at the airport or would you have to take a taxi there? Then also, do they have a shuttle to take you to the pier or would you have to take a taxi?

Bonaire, the Woodwind snorkeling, do you remember how long it was and how much it cost?

Grenada Anse Beach....are there any water sports to rent there?

We also were on the ship for the 17th. This was our third time on the Emerald. Entertainment was great! Kory from Crooners, Sarge, Mark Preston, a hypnotist one night. Service was perfect. Ship was in great shape. Food was delicious to include Crown Grill. Our favorite excursion was champaign catamaran in St Thomas to St John-honeymoon beach. Weather was spectacular! I would highly recommend this ship!

The Ocean Holiday Motel...if not renting a car, do they come get you at the airport or would you have to take a taxi there? Then also, do they have a shuttle to take you to the pier or would you have to take a taxi?

Bonaire, the Woodwind snorkeling, do you remember how long it was and how much it cost?

Grenada Anse Beach....are there any water sports to rent there?

No motel shuttle so you would need to take a taxi. We rented a car at the airport and dropped it near cruiseport (Avis) and paid so little that it was about the same as paying for 2 taxi fare and free parking at the motel.

Woodwind was 3 hours (1015 - 1315), $50 pp includes equipment and beverages

Grand Anse - not where we were on the beach but I believe there was some at the other end. May be best to check the Grenada discussion board for further info.

Two other comments not in my review - I was +++ impressed with the service I observed being given to a tablemate with significant food sensitivies. The maitre d or head waiter (one of the guys in the white dinner jackets) came to our table to personally check on her before and during the meal and then came near the end with the next day's menu to have her pre-order things that worked for her. I also was +++ impressed with a young Russian (female) server in the IC who was VERY helpful to an older couple who both had major mobility impairments. She was so patient and attentive to them. It was as though they were her own grandparents. It literally brought tears to my eyes - I wish we all treated our elders with such kindness and respect.

Not sure if you met Marvin, one of the servers in the MDR - he's from Granada and told us about guitar dude (I think he said its his uncle?) in advance. Yes, I think it must be one of the last best jobs in the world!

We know Marvin!! Check it out bro!! :D

We enjoyed all the ports and as you see from my previous post our activities were very different in each place so hard to choose a fave but if pressed I would have to say that Bonaire for snorkelling or Dominica for the island tour with Levi of Bumpiing Tours which went to Champagne Reef, Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls/Hot Springs.

Fave place on board, by far, is the International Cafe/Piazza. Also liked the area at the stern with the small pool, hot tubs, etc. overlooking the ship's wake.

We had much the same favorite list after we did the 10-day Southern on the Emerald about 18 months ago. We snorkeled in both Aruba and Bonaire and found the waters around Bonaire to be better for photographing fish.

Fish_2a.jpg

can anyone tell me if there are different tours,etc. that do NOT inc.the beach/??.City,historic,nature,etc. that are NOT too physical.We live in FL.and beach activities not a priority and in our 60s and NOT UP to climbing waterfalls,et.c.HELP>:confused:

We did this cruise in February and loved it. We are both 60 and didn't do any beach activities this time. (Only our 2nd cruise). We enjoy learning about the islands but plan to do this one again someday so we can visit the beaches. We did the following tours:

St Thomas - Godfrey Tours - arranged through our CC roll call group. We had some shopping time in town followed by a scenic tour of the island with stops at Drakes seat, Mountain Top, and Coral World.

Dominica - Princess Tour - Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls & Scenic drive. I am not in great shape but didn't have trouble walking up the trail to view the falls. I only walked to the viewing area above the Emerald Pool because I didn't know if the walk back up would be too difficult.

Grenada - Princess Tour - Grand Etang, Cocoa Experience & Rum Sampling.

Bonaire - Bonaire Vista Tours - arranged through CC roll call group. Salt Flats, Slave Huts, Lake Gotomere. Highly recommend this tour because our tour guide Brian was really informative.

Aruba - Princess Tour - Rock Formations, California Lighthouse, Natural Bridge, Ostrich Farm

We enjoyed all the tours but Bonaire and Dominica were our favorites because of the tour guides and Grenada was interesting also.

Archived