1st Celebrity Cruise, Suggestions Welcome and Needed

TirNaNog

Just booked my first Celebrity cruise on the Nov 1, 2013, Med cruise on the Equinox. Booked into AC cabin 1543, which although forward does not appear to be (and according to Celebrity is not) under the pool. Looks like it is under the Spa, below the Acupuncture rooms. I also had the choice of a more aft AC cabin, 1631. However, I have some mobility limitations and thought we were more likely to be heading to the Solarium Pool or Persian Gardens more often than to the facilities to the aft of the ship. Any comments on cabin selection?

We selected the 123 drink package rather than the Sr. discount. Seemed like the better deal. Most likely, I will upgrade to the Premium Drink package. Any thoughts?

Any suggestions for pre cruise hotels in Barcelona and shore excursions would be greatfully appreciated.

There's a great spreadsheet that's included among the "Stickies" at the top of the Celebrity Board. There's no comment about 1543 specifically on the Equinox but on other Solstice class ships, there are consistent comments about noise from the Aqua Spa Cafe, particularly in the morning. We've been in 1540 on the Equinox and 1550 on the Silhouette (on the other side of the ship) and both cabins were very quiet. We like the forward AQ cabins because they are not under the overhang. Cabin 1546 is available - I would by far prefer that location.

Just booked my first Celebrity cruise on the Nov 1, 2013, Med cruise on the Equinox. Booked into AC cabin 1543, which although forward does not appear to be (and according to Celebrity is not) under the pool. Looks like it is under the Spa, below the Acupuncture rooms. I also had the choice of a more aft AC cabin, 1631. However, I have some mobility limitations and thought we were more likely to be heading to the Solarium Pool or Persian Gardens more often than to the facilities to the aft of the ship. Any comments on cabin selection? We selected the 123 drink package rather than the Sr. discount. Seemed like the better deal. Most likely, I will upgrade to the Premium Drink package. Any thoughts? Any suggestions for pre cruise hotels in Barcelona and shore excursions would be greatfully appreciated.

You are in for lots of great "treats" with your cruise. First, these Solstice-class ships are great. Below is one of my photo examples for why we love the Solarium so much on these types of ships. Second is the excellent port of Barcelona. Very close and handy between the historic city, its airport and the port/docking area. Third, you will be visiting some great ports and places. We have not, yet, visited Valletta/Malta and Santorini, but have done Athens, Mykonos, Ephesus, Naples/Amalfi Coast and Rome during recent or previous cruises/trips. Below are a few options/potentials to consider in some of these wonderful areas.

From my live/blog below, you can see and learn more on Barcelona, some info for certain of these ports, about facilities on these types of ships, food options, entertainment, etc.

In Barcelona, there are lots of hotel options. Location is important and we like to be near the historic old city and/or the charming Las Ramblas. These areas are always busy with lots of tourists and locals, around the clock, participating in the spectacle that is Barcelona. Las Ramblas runs from the start of Placa de Catalunya and ends to the south at Port Vell at the Christopher Columbus statue. Las Ramblas runs through Barcelona’s center, with the Gothic Quarter and El Raval neighborhoods to either side. There are colorful street performers and vendors selling everything imaginable from flowers to caged birds. The architecture is such an interesting mix in these areas of Barcelona. I would check a couple of major sites such as hotels.com and bookings.com to what is available to match your budget.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 7,056 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Reactions? Added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 125,200 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Celebrity Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Barcelona has many apartment building with interesting architectural details. Here the iron railings are wonderfully designed with a local lady taking a look as we passed below on the top level of our hop-on bus as we traveled all over this historic and interesting city with great character, charm and innovative design.:

BarcelBalconyIronworkLady.jpg

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peter’s and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting on June 10, 2011, during our visit and doing the Scavi tour under the Vatican in Rome. This dramatic Cathedral is the world's largest!:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

If you are a bit mobility limitations, 1543 is closer to the elevator so that may be better for you but, it is much farther from Blu and the Oceanview Buffet for breakfast and lunch. You may want to be near the aft elevators in 1631.

Also, a Med itinerary is quite port intensive so, your time in the Persian Garden may be less than you anticipate. The solarium pool is sort of in the middle (give or take a bit) so either one would be OK for that.

I think that the aft cabin would be better. You get off the elevator and you are at the buffet area and you go down the elevator and it is a shorter walk to Blu (and the other specialty restaurants). There is the Rendezvous Bar on the way if you need a rest. There is normally some live music there during the dinner times so it is a good place for a pre dinner drink.

The drink package was good for us but, as I mentioned, the Med cruise is very port intensive so I am not sure the upgrade is worth it. You get added selection as you can have drinks valued up to $12 per drink as opposed to 8 for the classic. Is that worth it for you?

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic

Lastly, I truly believe the issue of noise from above is overblown. I have been in cabins below the sunset bar and the Lido deck on different cruises and have not been bothered by noise. You are not going to a retirement home, you are on a ship, a floating city, and there will be noise but not anywhere near what some people make it out to be.

I have not been in that cabin, but I did sail in 1067, one deck below and two cabins forward of 1543. I was very pleased with that location. Not too far forward. The proximity to the elevator posed no noise problem. 1543 appears to be under the Aqua Spa Cafe. Certainly not the kind of traffic encountered in the Oceanview Cafe.

We've been in 1548 (also other side of the ship just under the entrance to the Solarium) . We LOVED the location but , as others have said, you are far from Blu. We ate a lot of lunches in the Aqua Spa Cafe and I found it really convenient to run up for a cup of coffee or tea.

We did hear some noise about 7:10 every morning as they must have been rolling in the towel racks for the pool but got used to it and it never actually woke us - we only heard it if we were already awake.

We were also looking at this cruise and I have a question for those that have done these ports before. What is the weather like in November?

(I looked it up on line and it looks like high 60s are average)

Is it too cool to enjoy the beautiful beaches in Greece?

We've just returned from a cruise in New Zealand and Australia and it rained a LOT in northern Australia and it did put a damper on one's spirit.

We've been in 1548 (also other side of the ship just under the entrance to the Solarium) . We LOVED the location but , as others have said, you are far from Blu. We ate a lot of lunches in the Aqua Spa Cafe and I found it really convenient to run up for a cup of coffee or tea.

We did hear some noise about 7:10 every morning as they must have been rolling in the towel racks for the pool but got used to it and it never actually woke us - we only heard it if we were already awake.

We were also looking at this cruise and I have a question for those that have done these ports before. What is the weather like in November?

We've just returned from a cruise in New Zealand and Australia and it rained a LOT in northern Australia and it did put a damper on one's spirit.

The weather in November can be rainy but not for long. The days are great and cooling off in the evening....no sitting on the lawn without a sweater or light jacket. 18C or about 65 F during the day.

It is very nice weather for walking and touring. It may be a bit windy in the Greek Isles.

We've been there twice in November; weather was generally good for touring (cool) but way too cool for beaching it. I wouldn't plan to go to the beach in Los Angeles in November, though, either!

BCN city tour I took last year arranged by a cruise critic member was great; B has a great many things to see and do. I'm hoping pre-Christmas sales will have started. Consider a 10 trip ticket or day passes for transit if you think you'll use it (I used a day pass in Lisbon 3 stops and you have your money's worth). Olotels.com is a site I use for hotels; I also look to Trip advisor - see what hotel they use compare then see if the hotel has a site. HN hotels is a Spanish chain, I stayed at Nacion at Atoucha train station in Madrid and I like it very much and near Prado. AVE fast trains connect Mad-Bcn in 2.30-3h10 so very fast. As to stateroom Aqua Class is so overpriced I've not booked that as I'm paying double 200% for single pax. The accessible / disabled staterooms are near elevators - I too look at the deck plans and never above/below the disco, noise of any kind for me - I'm on the Equinox Bcn-Ft Lauderdale then fly home. Paul Toronto

Thanks again, everyone. I called Celebrity to upgrade my drink package and checked on available cabins. I now am in 1533, a little more forward and under the massage area, supposedly very quiet. I know this still leaves us with a bit of a walk back to the restaurants and other venues, but my wife and I believe we may use the Solarium pool and other areas more if we are closer. Hope this works out.

I just completed a Celebrity cruise and had the classic beverage package. I was pleasantly surprised Kettle One was included, but not Grey Goose. Couldn't order Cosmos (guess the Cointreau prohibited). Most wines by glasses were fine. But some confusion over Sauvignon Blanc; was included when at Wine Bar, but not in Dining Room. Saw our dining room wine steward obtaining wine from this bar, obviously to take into DR. So why did he tell me no when I had same at Wine Bar? So, is $2.00/day more worth it? Only you can decide.

As far as cabin location, have done Aqua Class on Solstice & Eclipse. We were under gym and could hear pounding early mornings. Investigated and found weight room was overheard. Also have been warned about being under pool area with lounges being dragged around and moved for cleaning/stacking.

I only book cabins if cabins are above me, not near an elevator so there is no chance of noise. And I prefer aft where it's really quiet, but not good if mobility is an issue. Another thing to think of...is there a laundry or steward elevator near your cabin? Another thing to avoid with early morning crew use.

Just booked Reflections...so this class of ship on Celebrity is tried and true!

If you are a bit mobility limitations, 1543 is closer to the elevator so that may be better for you but, it is much farther from Blu and the Oceanview Buffet for breakfast and lunch. You may want to be near the aft elevators in 1631.

Also, a Med itinerary is quite port intensive so, your time in the Persian Garden may be less than you anticipate. The solarium pool is sort of in the middle (give or take a bit) so either one would be OK for that.

I think that the aft cabin would be better. You get off the elevator and you are at the buffet area and you go down the elevator and it is a shorter walk to Blu (and the other specialty restaurants). There is the Rendezvous Bar on the way if you need a rest. There is normally some live music there during the dinner times so it is a good place for a pre dinner drink.

The drink package was good for us but, as I mentioned, the Med cruise is very port intensive so I am not sure the upgrade is worth it. You get added selection as you can have drinks valued up to $12 per drink as opposed to 8 for the classic. Is that worth it for you?

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic

Lastly, I truly believe the issue of noise from above is overblown. I have been in cabins below the sunset bar and the Lido deck on different cruises and have not been bothered by noise. You are not going to a retirement home, you are on a ship, a floating city, and there will be noise but not anywhere near what some people make it out to be.

We stayed in room 1631 on our last cruise. Like Pete says its right close to the elevators with no noise from above. I would go with the drink upgrade as it allows for better wines and all molecular bar drinks.

Enjoy your cruise

Archived