MONARCH OF THE SEAS MENUS FROM MAY 1994: memories from my first cruise

Not only did the wait staff wear different ties, vests, cummerbunds on different theme nights, there was one night - Feast of Nations, I think - when each server could choose his/her favorite uniform to wear - that was fun to see!

My first cruise was on the Monarch in 1994 (December) as well! What I remember is how obsessed with the ship; how safe, would I get sea sick, bored, how about the food? Well from the moment I stepped on her I was hooked on cruising and totally loyal to Royal...

Yes there have been changes (remember that totally decadent Midnight Buffet? ) but I gotta admit I am still hooked :)

Thanks again for the memories...

My first cruise was also the Monarch in May 1994.

I can still remember our long rectangular table near the entrance of the dining room. My parents, brother, and I and two other couples. One was a newlywed couple that I talked to every night and naively at the end of the cruise said "See you later, I'm sure we'll run into you again", even though they lived in Ohio and we we far away.

I remember Baked Alaska where the waiters came in with the dessert flaming on their head.

I also remember the incredible midnight buffet and taking so many pictures on my little 110 pocket camera.

Ah, those were the days. An experience that got me hooked on cruising!

I also remember the incredible midnight buffet and taking so many pictures on my little 110 pocket camera.

Ah, those were the days. An experience that got me hooked on cruising!

That's one thing that is better now! I can take 1,000's of pictures with a digital camera and toss the ones I don't want. I remember buying film, paying for development, then hoping that the pictures turned out good... :-)

I also came across the Passenger List which included the names and cities of passengers on board.

img139_zpsc63e10e1.jpg

img140_zps28674399.jpg

img141_zps1c12c7a9.jpg

img142_zps994f8a14.jpg

img143_zpsc91e8d9e.jpg

I was ready to look for my name but then saw the date. May 8,1994 was Carl's and my honeymoon cruise. I have been nostalgic for Monarch of the Seas with this being her last sailing. I took out my pictures and marveled how young we were and ecstatic to be sailing. We sailed her again in 2010 and enjoyed it then, too. I enjoyed all the menus and thinking back how we had the same waiter and seats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I also developed a taste for escargot with the extra bread for dipping .Thank you for posting all these great memories. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary next May. Once the new itineraries are posted it is time to plan that special cruise. To all former Monarch passengers take time for a toast to this grand "Old Lady". Chris and Carl

I also came across the Passenger List which included the names and cities of passengers on board.

Wow, I wasn't even aware they did this. Yet another sign of the times and how they've changed. I can't imagine them publishing this list now for "safety" reasons and now with almost 6000 passengers on the Oasis.

I looked at the list of the cruise staff. I recall my brother and I both had a crush on Amy Anderson, one of the cruise director's staff. At least I think it must be her, since there seems to be only one Amy. Somewhere in a box in the back of a closet, we've got some video of her at the pool dancing to "Hot Hot Hot".

Another great memory I have is doing skeet shooting off the side of the ship. Can you imagine now putting a shotgun into the hands of a passenger? Absolutely no way it will ever happen again.

Thanks for sharing. Quick question though. Do you remember how much you paid per person and for what type of cabin?

I remember most details. My mother arranged the cruise through a very knowledgeable travel agent. Their were 4 of us: mom, dad, my husband and me. My dad didn't want to go because he had been stationed on a ship in the army that went to Alaska in the 1950s. He said no way was he paying to get on a ship, not even if they paid him. We talked him into it and he had such a good time that we couldn't wait to go on the next one.

So the travel agent said the most inexpensive cabin with a balcony and some room for 4 would be the family suite 1549. It wasn't listed in the brochures at the time, it was an empty spot behind the elevator. We divided the cost amongst the 4 of us and airfare from Nashville to San Juan round trip and transfers was between $700 to $800 per person. I had no idea it was so roomy. I did get a pic with my dad in front of the balcony door:

img144_zps913402d3.jpg

Our first RCCL cruise was Dec 1994 on the Empress of the Seas. I think it was the same menu. We did a Christmas cruise with my parents and I remember having bad weather. It was not until spring break of 2008 that we cruised again. Now we can't stop... :D

I remember most details. My mother arranged the cruise through a very knowledgeable travel agent. Their were 4 of us: mom, dad, my husband and me. My dad didn't want to go because he had been stationed on a ship in the army that went to Alaska in the 1950s. He said no way was he paying to get on a ship, not even if they paid him. We talked him into it and he had such a good time that we couldn't wait to go on the next one.

So the travel agent said the most inexpensive cabin with a balcony and some room for 4 would be the family suite 1549. It wasn't listed in the brochures at the time, it was an empty spot behind the elevator. We divided the cost amongst the 4 of us and airfare from Nashville to San Juan round trip and transfers was between $700 to $800 per person. I had no idea it was so roomy. I did get a pic with my dad in front of the balcony door:

img144_zps913402d3.jpg

How cool, what a great photo! Nice memories for you :)

I know I might be a fuddy duddy (sp?) BUT I miss the special country nights, Flaming Baked Alaska, steaks, mints on my pillow, etc. It was little things that made cruising different. jmo which I am sure someone does not agree with :(

This sure brings back memories. We were on the sailing right after your's on May 22, 1984. My youngest had just turned 7. Upon our return, my brother asked him what he liked best about the cruise. I expected to hear "Adventure Ocean" as his response --- something other than "the Schooner Bar"! :eek: He loved getting his own Coke from the bartender there since he had a Coke sticker on his sea pass card. Go figure!

Very nice :) But honestly, I like the new menus better from what Ive seen so far. Although I will say, some things on these older menus sound really good.

Does anyone remember when the passenger lists stopped? That was well before my time of cruising. Im guessing after 9/11?

I do remember the passenger list from my first cruise in 1991. I don't remember one from my second in 2000, so I assume sometime in the late 90's.

I now have proof to show my boyfriend that you "used" to be encouraged to order an appetizer, soup, AND salad. I still do that and he thinks I'm crazy. I tell him...it always used to be divided, just because they lump it all together doesn't mean I still can't order it. :)

Great memories, btw. I think I prefer cruising with all the amenities now (and prices) although there is something "special" that has gone on the wayside. But I guess if I cruised all the time then, it wouldn't have been as "special" either?

Thanks for posting the Menus, there is the proof that the food was better back then, those Menus have a much better selection then they do now, there was Filet Mignon and you did not have to pay extra for it extra.

Very nice :) But honestly, I like the new menus better from what Ive seen so far. Although I will say, some things on these older menus sound really good.

Does anyone remember when the passenger lists stopped? That was well before my time of cruising. Im guessing after 9/11?

I think the last time I received one was in 97/98..somewhere around there.

WOW!!!! talk about bringing back memories. i know i have numerous copies of the same menus...always a great souvenir to bring home from a cruise. glad you found and posted them! many thanks!!! (boy, how things have changed...)

Archived