Charters for air????

SandyR5

Just had a phone call from an Oceania agent who didn't know we already booked through our own TA. This is our first Oceania cruise so, as long as she was on the phone I asked her about the included air. I was concerned because we, probably like everyone else, want a non-stop from NY to LAX before heading to Papeete for our French Polynesia cruise. She mentioned the word "charter" to me, saying Oceania usually books charter flights. Was this your experience? If it was, am I wrong thinking this is not a good thing? Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks -

Just had a phone call from an Oceania agent who didn't know we already booked through our own TA. This is our first Oceania cruise so, as long as she was on the phone I asked her about the included air. I was concerned because we, probably like everyone else, want a non-stop from NY to LAX before heading to Papeete for our French Polynesia cruise. She mentioned the word "charter" to me, saying Oceania usually books charter flights. Was this your experience? If it was, am I wrong thinking this is not a good thing? Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks -

I don't think that Oceania can use charters to many ports. The only way they use charters for all flights is have planes chartered for all cruises.

I'm not an expert here so probably shouldn't voice an opinion, but I will.

In Renaissance days they often used charters for flights to Europe (but not exclusively). I don't think O ever has.

However, from what I've seen recently in posts they do for flights to the South Pacific. I'm just not sure from which airport. I doubt very much they'd use a charter to get you to LAX from NY! But from LAX it might well be a charter.

Experts will chime in, I'm sure.

Mura

I'm not an expert here so probably shouldn't voice an opinion, but I will.

In Renaissance days they often used charters for flights to Europe (but not exclusively). I don't think O ever has.

However, from what I've seen recently in posts they do for flights to the South Pacific. I'm just not sure from which airport. I doubt very much they'd use a charter to get you to LAX from NY! But from LAX it might well be a charter.

Experts will chime in, I'm sure.

Mura[/quote

I believe O charters Atas Air from LAX to PPT for those flying in cruise day with O airfare

There has been an active discussion about the Atlas Air charters from LAX to Papeete in the O threads; the OP might find it interesting. I think O is booking pax both on Air Tahiti Nui and an Atlas Air charter on the route from LAX to Papeete.

In case the link below does not work, just look for the thread titled 'Atlas Air.' There have probably been many other discussions on this topic, but it might be the most current at least w/ regards to the OP's route.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734649

We are on the April 7 Tahitian Breeze. We took the deviation to come in early and stay later. We are on American ex JFK to LAX and then Air Tahiti Nui who is partnered with American. If you elected not to deviate and use Oceania air the day of the cruise then Oceania has a mix of Air Tahiti Nui and Atlas Air charters. There is not enough space on ATN for all the Marina cruisers. I haven't a clue how Oceania chose who is going on what flight.Experience on the Atlas flights from previous cruisers is mixed. I think the first time through they didn't have their act together but it sounds much better now.

THe south pacific, not central pacific or western pacific, has very few flights to Polynesia . There is Tahiti Nui and Air france from the east and Air New Zealand and Quantas from the west. that's 2-3 flights a day from LAX or any west coast city and not every day !!!.

There is one flight a week, ( yes a week) from Hawaii to Tahiti on Saturday ; and of those 3 daily flights they are code share with everyone but star alliance ( UAL et al).

ONE reason for the lack of flights is the airport at PPT is pretty darn small and they don't have either the gates or the parking space. Planes have to go in and pretty much right back out within a few hours to make room.

Sit on the left side and watch aw you fly right over the ship at 1000 ft.

Oceania has to use charters to move 500 to 800 passengers because there is not a capacity on scheduled flights from LAX.

People wanting Tahiti Nui (A340) will be those who pay $800 pp for a one way up grade to business, that atlas doesn't offer.

All this I have gleened from past experience flying there and my up coming cruies in 2014.

Air France is no longer flying to Papeete, so the only regularly scheduled airline to fly LAX to Papeete will be Air Tahiti Nui. On our cruise this past February 7th, the Air Atlas arrived at 8:30 pm and the ship sailed around 10:30 pm. It was basically, you arrived, got on a bus, got on the ship, and you were sailing away. Some people did not get their luggage until approx 1 am, but everyones luggage did make the ship. Oceania people collected your checked luggage at the airport and trucked it to the ship.

Air France is no longer flying to Papeete, so the only regularly scheduled airline to fly LAX to Papeete will be Air Tahiti Nui. On our cruise this past February 7th, the Air Atlas arrived at 8:30 pm and the ship sailed around 10:30 pm. It was basically, you arrived, got on a bus, got on the ship, and you were sailing away. Some people did not get their luggage until approx 1 am, but everyones luggage did make the ship. Oceania people collected your checked luggage at the airport and trucked it to the ship.

Good to know about Air France... Tahiti NUI operates a 1 one flight a day except on Friday and Sunday when they run 2 flights. With the ship making a Saturday departure, it appears that some business class passengers might depart at 11pm on Friday arriving 5 am and the other half departing 4 pm Saturday getting in at 8 pm.

Tahiti is in the same time zone as Hawaii and 3 hours diff. from the mainland/US

I understood that Air France was still flying to Tahiti, and would be thru 2014. Is that wrong?

They seem to be flying at least up the mid March 2014 from LAX

Sun, Wed & Fri

If something has changed they have not adjusted their schedules

Edited by LHT28

Thanks. That won't help me--they've gotta fly thru Sep/14 for me to use them. Crossing my fingers.

Well maybe when the schedules are released for those months they will still be flying there

Check in Oct this year

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Atlas Air Charter from Papette on Sunday. The airplane had a few problems: our section was burnning up while the rest of the plane was freezing. In my three person row 1 screen did not work and on another the audio did not work. The biggest problem we found is when you are on a charter for the overseas portion, you have to pay luggage fees on the domestic portion. For us (4 bags-non over 50 lbs) that was $270.00. Our flight to Sydney we did not have to pay any luggage fees. People complained about the food on Atlas air but really after 25 days on Oceania whose food could meet that bar.

• 8 months later...

Oceania has scheduled us to fly into Papeete on a charter Feb4. Must admit I feel nervous about the scenario as the flight is scheduled to arrive at 8PM and Marina leaves at 10PM. We haven't arranged transfers through Oceania and wondered if taking a taxi at the airport would work. Any advice you can give me would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Mia

Oceania has scheduled us to fly into Papeete on a charter Feb4. Must admit I feel nervous about the scenario as the flight is scheduled to arrive at 8PM and Marina leaves at 10PM. We haven't arranged transfers through Oceania and wondered if taking a taxi at the airport would work. Any advice you can give me would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Mia

Atlas is no longer the carrier, it is a regular Tahiti Nui flight that has a block bought for passengers. It is a a340-300 with seating 2-4-2 The arms in coach do not come up Pitch is 32 seat width 17.5 inches

Cab from the airport to the pier is about $30 it is a 10 min ride tops Customs will take 1 hour.