Cruise port

If you are asking about getting from the cruise post to a city hotel, you should simply grab a taxi from the port to your hotel. The price will be no more then 20 Euros and probably a lot less...depending on your hotel. Shuttle buses (which often cost $5 - $7) would only take you to the Columbus Statute area at the base of the Ramblas.

If you are talking about from the airport to a hotel there are a few choices including taxi, train or bus.

Hank

shopperwhite. Which hotel are you staying at? Depending on where it is will make a difference to the best way to get there.

Hlitner. The port shuttle bus from the cruise terminal to Columbus monument is €2 (€3 return) not €5-7. Or did you mean the cruise line's shuttle?

Ashland. What day of the week and time of day was your taxi from the port to Las Ramblas? Were you held up a long time in traffic? How long ago was this?

The way the taxi charges on a weekday from 8am to 8pm is

Basic charge just to get in the taxi €2.05

For every 10 minutes waiting time (including waiting in traffic) €3.54

Cruise port supplement (arriving or departing) €4.20

Per km €0.98. The port to Las Ramblas is about 6km so this is about €5.88

So assuming you were travelling on a weekday and were not held up for more than 10 minutes the fare should have been approximately 2.05 + 3.54 + 4.20 + 5.88 = €15.67

If it were a weekend it would be €1.24 per km instead of €0.98 and 10 minutes waiting time would be €3.62. Even then the fare would have been about €17.31

I don’t know why you were charged €30. Even a weekend at night or on New Years Eve it wouldn’t be more than about €28

Taxis in Barcelona are very regulated. If you are 2, 3 or 4 they are great value.

http://www.taxibarcelona.cat/Portals/0/pdfs/hemeroteca/2012/taxi_tarifes_2013-3.pdf

They did just raise the cruise terminal pricing as the taxi do wait there like at the airports now and this is to compensate for all that waiting time.

That means that you pay 4.20 euro just to sit in taxi. This is up almost 2 euro from last year. They can not charge for luggage. Taxi before 8 am is 25% more expensive and also all day on Sat. and Sun. and holidays.

With the Km price and the waiting time factored in a taxi fare would now be between 14 to 24 euro in the central city from the port, depending where you are going.

When you are 2 or more the cost of the blue bus to Colon is 2 euro per person which basically voids the extra terminal fee.

As a solo, I take the blue bus for 2 euro to the first stop.

If I am going to airport I take the new bus D20 up to plaza espana and then the A1 or A2 to airport. http://www.tmb.cat/en/nova-xarxa-de-bus

for 2 euro single fare.

If I am going to city I take the bus 20 from the World Trade center about 2 minutes from blue bus up to PG de Gracia which is above the Ramblas. Again 2 euros single ticket. http://www.tmb.cat/en/linia-de-bus/-/bus/20

This is a total of 4 euro to center per person.

We took 14 taxis from port to a hotel on PG de Gracia last year with group from Switzerland and was a good example that payments were 18 to 22 euro, but one taxi arrived 20 minutes later and paid 32 euro. I took digital picture of taxi number but never followed up.

We (two of us and luggage) used a taxi from port to our Las Ramblas hotel and it was 30 Euros...the same price we had paid for airport to port.

To put it bluntly, you got "ripped off." There is no way that any fare to the Ramblas would be 30 Euros and it should even be less then 20 Euros. One must be sure that the taxi uses their meter, resets that meter before you start (some drivers will leave the last fare on the meter and let it keep ticking), that they have the meter set to the proper day setting (I think its usually a #1) and that they do not load up the meter with their secret little button that allows them to add additional Euros for things like extra luggage. Think about it....you paid 30 Euros for a taxi ride of 1-2 miles! Ouch!

Hank

My advice to anyone going to Barcelona is to read threads here on CC to get an idea of what your taxi fare is likely to be. If your fare is way above that then ask for a receipt - they must give you one if asked for.

Also, every taxi has a list of charges displayed (like the one MADflyer has given a link to). This list of charges is in Catalan, Spanish and English

Make sure the receipt has the taxi's ID on it. If you have been overcharged you can report the taxi and he is likely to lose his licence. Just asking for a receipt can make the driver re-think if he is trying to overcharge.

To put it bluntly, you got "ripped off." There is no way that any fare to the Ramblas would be 30 Euros and it should even be less then 20 Euros. One must be sure that the taxi uses their meter, resets that meter before you start (some drivers will leave the last fare on the meter and let it keep ticking), that they have the meter set to the proper day setting (I think its usually a #1) and that they do not load up the meter with their secret little button that allows them to add additional Euros for things like extra luggage. Think about it....you paid 30 Euros for a taxi ride of 1-2 miles! Ouch!

Hank

It was a Saturday Aug 27, 2011 (day of cruise 10:30am) and Saturday Sept 3, 2011 (end of cruise 10:00am)..two of us four pieces of luggage and two carryons and that price of 30 Euros (rounding up) included the tip ...I have since saw many others posting on these boards with the same circumstances and they too paid this approx price :confused:....Guess some of us got ripped off since the meter was running it was reset but additional charges were added at the end on the meter..Oh well some of us live & learn during first time visits .

It was a Saturday Aug 27, 2011 (day of cruise 10:30am) and Saturday Sept 3, 2011 (end of cruise 10:00am)..two of us four pieces of luggage and two carryons and that price of 30 Euros (rounding up) included the tip ...I have since saw many others posting on these boards with the same circumstances and they too paid this approx price :confused:....Guess some of us got ripped off since the meter was running it was reset but additional charges were added at the end on the meter..Oh well some of us live & learn during first time visits .

So sorry for the "Senior Moment" my DH cleared this up for me..we paid 30 Euros from airport to port and hotel to airport...We actually paid closer to 20 Euros from port to our Hotel 1898...Hope this cleares that up....and sorry again...hate those senior moments that sometimes confuse the small details of the many ports we have visited.:o:)

So sorry for the "Senior Moment" my DH cleared this up for me..we paid 30 Euros from airport to port and hotel to airport...We actually paid closer to 20 Euros from port to our Hotel 1898...Hope this cleares that up....and sorry again...hate those senior moments that sometimes confuse the small details of the many ports we have visited.:o:)

Yep! That makes sense. And never apologize for "senior moments" to we seniors since we can never remember any of that stuff anyway :)

Hank

I am going to hotel ac som which I understand is outside of Barcelona.

I presume you mean the 'AC Hotel Som by Marriott' in Hospitalet de Llobregat.

That is on the way to the airport, about 7km from the port.

A taxi would cost about €20-25 and would take about 20 minutes.

The only other way to the hotel would be to take the port shuttle bus to Columbus Monument, walk to Drassanes metro (2-3 minutes) and take the train to Ildefons Cerdà which is about 200 yards from the hotel. This journey will cost €4 per person and take about 30-35 minutes.

To get from Drassanes to Ildefons Cerdà you will need to change trains at Pl. Espanya.

My recommendation is to take the taxi.

What made you choose this hotel? How long are you staying there? Are you planning to do much sightseeing in Barcelona?

Archived