looking for recommendations for day touring from Whittier

hubble

We will have a open day (8a-8p) on a turnaround in Whittier. I have a rental car reserved with Avis. Been to Anchorage and that direction many times, but never Kenai/Seward direction. I'd appreciate any recommendations/tours for the day from anyone who has done this before.

I am assuming you mean the Kenai Peninsula, and not the city of Kenai on the Cook Inlet, take a look at a map?

You need to consider available activities that may be of interest? "Tours" are specific and many.

http://www.seward.com http://www.kenaipeninsula.com

Homer would be out, and time would be short in Seward with no time for a Kenai Fjord boat tour.

You can't expect to be out before the 9am tunnel. You will need to be back through the 6:30pm tunnel. It is a 2 hour drive to Seward, plenty to see and do, and likely the best place to spend with your time. Determine, what's of interest for you there.

Otherwise, have you been to Surprise Glacier? Spectacular and a top choice to also consider. Especially a great choice, if you can get a used coupon book for the 2 for 1 coupon. :)

It would help to know your interests.

And when? If it coincides with a salmon run, a trip to Cooper Landing to watch combat fishing on the Kenai River is fun and interesting. Have lunch at the Kenai Princess where you can watch fisherman float by on the river below.

Otherwise spend a day in Seward ... visit Exit Glacier, wander around the harbor. If you have good weather walk along the waterfront path that runs from the harbor into town 1 1/2 miles; great views, otters playing in the water, bald eagles. Then catch a cab back for $5. http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm

Click on any town's name to get info on sights and activities:

http://kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

Yes, I did mean Kenai Pennisula. We will be there 25MAY. We love scenery, outdoors, glaciers, short hikes. Not big on large crowds, or spending much time sitting around restaurants and eating.

* Is it worth going on a short boat tour (if we can find one), since we are not going to arrive until after 11am, then need to be back on the road to Whittier by 4pm or earlier?

* Is it worth the drive out to Seward for the scenery and walking around the town if we don't do a boat tour?

* Do you think our time is better spend to just stay in Whittier and do one of the boat tours there and scrap the rental car idea?

Again, I'd appreciate your thoughts and input.

* Do you think our time is better spend to just stay in Whittier and do one of the boat tours there and scrap the rental car idea?

Here's my thought (from an Anchorage local). You are talking about a Saturday drive which would be on a Holiday weekend on the most popular two-lane highway for those who live in Anchorage to escape. The highway is notoriously dangerous and even though you may be ok-the risk of being delayed on the highway is always there. A single accident can block the highway for many hours. Another thought - if there is a cruise ship docked in Seward think of many coach buses on the road, traveling it up/down and also a lot of motorhomes. I'll put a smiley here as its not all 'gloom and doom'... its a GORGEOUS DRIVE, but if you envision the open road, on this day... it will be congested.

* Is it worth going on a short boat tour (if we can find one), since we are not going to arrive until after 11am, then need to be back on the road to Whittier by 4pm or earlier?

* Is it worth the drive out to Seward for the scenery and walking around the town if we don't do a boat tour?

You didn't indicate your interests or activity level so it's hard for anyone to say which option is best. Personally, if I was doing B2B cruises, I would want to enjoy a day on land! If you're concerned about the holiday traffic there is a lot to see and do within 20 miles of Whittier, as suggested in this link. http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Have a good trip !

Yes, I did mean Kenai Pennisula. We will be there 25MAY. We love scenery, outdoors, glaciers, short hikes. Not big on large crowds, or spending much time sitting around restaurants and eating.

You state you've been to Anchorage "and that direction" many times? Where is "direction"? You haven't been to Seward or Whittier? Seward really isn't worth spending hours in transit to get/leave there without an over night, and certainly not worth the time without some of their activities. With your "glacier interest" Whittier PWS boat tours are the answer. :) Nope- the short boat tours are hardly worth it, and do not get within glacier access. Nope- it isn't a lot of "scenery" unless you make the extra effort to get to it, in the water or air. Exit glacier is an easy drive up, but on the same line as Portage in my opinion.

Archived