Whale watching with 11 month old

Illini3

Hi everyone,

My 11-month-old will be coming along on our Alaskan cruise at the end of May. While we plan to be pretty low key with our plans, our family's one "must-do" is whale-watching. Typically, I would have booked a smaller charter boat for this. But with baby, who will probably be walking or running around, I thought it might be best to go with the ship's large boat excursion. Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with a toddler on a whale-watching trip? I would also take any other tips you might have with a baby in Alaska. And yes, I have also posted on the family board! :)

Thanks so much!

I'd say not to chance it with an 11 m.o. We did whale watching last summer with Orca Enterprises, on a not small, but not large boat. There were probably 35-40 people plus crew on board. We had my 5 y.o. and 7 y.o. at the time. While my girls did well, they had their moments moving around the boat.

If the water is choppy, there is lots of motion on the boat, and can throw everyone off balance easily. People move from one side to another on the boat to see the whales. So, there is a lot of people movement anyway, and when you add in boat movement, it could be a bad situation for a little one who's just starting to toddle around. Plus - when people are moving from side to side and looking through the view finder on their camera instead of looking down for a child, you're just asking for an accident.

I really think you should play it safe and choose another activity. There isn't space or tolerance honestly for a little one to be running around.

have you checked too see what age a child must be too get onboard a whale watching tour? there might be a age restriction. i personally would not go into it thinking the other passengers would be comfortable with a 11 month old walking or running around on the loose during a whale tour. also what if the baby starts crying or fussing and you cant the baby stop. you are on a enclosed boat and cant get off. it is not cheap too go on a whale watching tour and the passengers want too have their full attention on seeing the whales and scenery. perhaps you can do something else with the baby and let the other family members go on the tour. have a wonderful cruise.

Most 11 month old babies are barely walking and if they are certainly are not walking too well. I know my two babies who are teens now both started walking at about 10.5 months, but were still pretty unsteady on their feet for a couple of months. Given that I wouldn't recommend letting your baby try to walk around on a whale watching boat, even a larger one as you will find more rocking movement on these type of boats than you typically do on a cruise ship. My husband is a commercial fisherman so our kids have been on and around boats since they were born, but at that age if we were on the boat they stayed in a stroller or in my lap. No running around. Do you have a comfortable stroller you are bringing along and others to take turns watching your child? If so you could probably make it work on the larger ship excursion tour as long as you realize that your little one will need to be confined to stroller or lap during the tour.

But with baby, who will probably be walking or running around, I thought it might be best to go with the ship's large boat excursion. Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with a toddler on a whale-watching trip? I would also take any other tips you might have with a baby in Alaska. And yes, I have also posted on the family board! :)

Thanks so much!

Sorry, but this mindset is not appropriate- "running around". It's a moving boat, other people on board. It requires a hand on rails at all times for safety, not the place for a toddler running loose.

I have never seen happy parents with kids this age. The trip is mostly spent entertaining a restless, uninterested child. (I've been on many whale watches) infants are way easier, and older toddlers, who have some understanding do a little better. This age group probably does the worse.

You may want to see if you can still charter. Then if you wish to shorten your trip, you won't have any problem doing so. Or you may want to wait and see what behavior trends you have closer to the arrival dates. If you do end up with a "on the go" child you may want to select something else. Safety is a priority on a boat, for all, and these are not cheap tours for anyone

How many people will be in your group? We will have 7 adults and one toddler (2yo) and we're doing a private excursion. Even though we're on a private tour with just our family, I will not let her run around the boat. I actually think having an 11 month old might be easier than our 2 year old. I would put an 11 month old in my ergo carrier on my chest and go. He/she would still be able to see if he/she is awake, but would also be able to doze off in the carrier. Or I would use a stroller. I wouldn't try to hold an 11 month old in your lap for this excursion. We'll have to hold our 2 year old, but I'm too paranoid to let her walk around the boat without me holding her.

I hate to be harsh sounding but if your child spends a lot of time on the boat Craig, everyone else on the boat is going to think about tossing the kid overboard. Also, if he is crawling around the boat, he will be constantly underfoot as there is not that much walking space on the boat.

Do the rest of a a big favor and do not take the child on a whale watching trip.

DON

We haven't done this yet but I would just suggest contacting the tour operator about it. As some have mentioned, there are sometimes age restrictions for these tours, for the many reasons mentioned. And there are charter trips you can take with just your group. I would say, if this is something you really want to do and this is your chance to do it, and you have no option other than to take baby, then go for it, keeping many of the above items in mind. Certainly be as respectful of others as possible though! A boatload of adults, in my opinion, can be just as, if not more, annoying...but people will be what they will be and just as we can't control adults, you can't fully control a child of that age. I will agree that a carrier of some kind would be a very wise decision - both to save you space while travelling but also to keep baby under control (for both safety and for the enjoyment of others). If you're not a carrier family now, I'd get one now and start using it to get baby (and you!) used to it so you're not fumbling on the trip. This would go for whether or not you charter your own trip.

In the end, if you're own enjoyment would be ruined by a baby running around or being cranky, then it's probably a no-go. If your baby tends to be quiet and calm though, I don't see how this could be a negative for anyone. Only you can judge that of course! A private charter would probably alleviate a lot of those worries, but still keep baby close and safe...NOT running around even if baby is walking at that time (many 11mo. olds are not).

Hmm...not the helpful responses I was hoping for!

I guess I should have added more detail, like yes, I will definitely be taking our baby carrier. :) And no, I would never let my baby "toddle" around a boat, whether it was with 2 or 200 people. The reason I mentioned that he would be walking is more that I expect he will be curious, and we could potentially hold him while he "walks" for a bit (though the rest of the time would be in the carrier). This would of course not be at the expense of other passengers. In addition, I am planning around his naps, and he is an extremely happy baby - he has never fussed when he has been out and around people. Also, our whole party has agreed to take turns with him to keep him occupied, though I think he will be fine with all the sights and sounds. Yes, you can say that he is still a baby, and that's perfectly true...but I would worry more about cranky adults than I would about him.

So let me pose another question...if I were to charter a boat for our family, would it be safe/comfortable to walk around with him in the carrier (or are the boats too small)? I just don't have a good concept of the size of the charter boats. I also feel that the larger boat will completely keep him occupied. Thoughts from anyone who has children or has experience with this?

Thanks!

Hmm...not the helpful responses I was hoping for!

I guess I should have added more detail, like yes, I will definitely be taking our baby carrier. :) And no, I would never let my baby "toddle" around a boat, whether it was with 2 or 200 people. The reason I mentioned that he would be walking is more that I expect he will be curious, and we could potentially hold him while he "walks" for a bit (though the rest of the time would be in the carrier). This would of course not be at the expense of other passengers. In addition, I am planning around his naps, and he is an extremely happy baby - he has never fussed when he has been out and around people. Also, our whole party has agreed to take turns with him to keep him occupied, though I think he will be fine with all the sights and sounds. Yes, you can say that he is still a baby, and that's perfectly true...but I would worry more about cranky adults than I would about him.

So let me pose another question...if I were to charter a boat for our family, would it be safe/comfortable to walk around with him in the carrier (or are the boats too small)? I just don't have a good concept of the size of the charter boats. I also feel that the larger boat will completely keep him occupied. Thoughts from anyone who has children or has experience with this?

Thanks!

Well, to be fair, you did say the baby would probably be "walking or running around" which didn't give the impression that you planned to use a carrier. And I think it's fair for even those who haven't done this with a baby to give you their opinion - you asked about the experience of a big boat vs. smaller and people were being honest when they say they might be annoyed. *I* am of the mindset that babies are part of society just as adults are, and like you, find more adults I've met in public annoying than children! I also don't think adults with babies should avoid going out places until their child is 5. But despite this, it's a fact, plain and simple, that your child's presence on one of these trips might not be met with all smiles. Whether or not you like to hear it, it *is* helpful to know! Keep in mind, Alaska is more of an "adult" destination so you may not be in the company of other parents of young children who might be more understanding of any normal crankiness that might occur. We all know even the best babies have their bad days and you just never know when those might be. Certainly now that you've gone into more detail (that you plan on having a carrier, and family members to trade off baby duty with) it sounds like you're preparing the best you can. I still think it would be a great idea to contact whichever company you chose directly to get their opinion for their particular vessel. And if children your son's age are allowed, it is totally your right to take him! There are other operators that don't allow children and if this is really important to someone else (to be on a trip w/o kids) I'd assume they'd seek those out.

I am not helpful in answering how large a chartered boat is, I know...but again, contacting each company would be helpful since I think even the "small" boats vary in size. I feel it would just put your mind at ease as long as it's physically comfortable, and from other reviews here, an even better, more personal experience.

Enjoy your trip!

When I brought my then 2 year old to a Napali boat ride in Kauai, they made me put on life jacket on my toddler and I couldn't use my Ergo so you might wanna check with the tour company first.

I did a whale watch with three children, ages 2, 5 and 8. We went on the ship excursion with a big boat. I know, a 2 year old is quite different from an 11 month old, but still required a huge amount of supervision. It was necessary for her father and I to pass her back and forth between us, while also keeping an eye on the boys. (who really were not much problem at all) She was a quiet, well-behaved child, but needed constant attention. We were able to see whales, and took turns taking pictures, but we did not get as much enjoyment out of it as we might have if we hadn't been so busy with a little one.

You CAN do whale watching with your toddler. It sounds like you are planning to use a carrier and are well aware of the concerns about having a toddler on a boat with lots of people. If you are travelling with a large family group, you may be able to pass him around among more people to get more of a break. Just go with the understanding that you may spend a lot of your time amusing your son and not enjoy the whale watch as much as you might like. That doesn't mean you won't enjoy it at all. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Also every passenger is required by the US Coast Guard to wear a personal floatation device provided by the boat.

If the boat does not have such a device for a child the size of yours, the rest of the discussion is mute.

There is another question here: will the whale watch company you choose allow a child of 11 months to be on the boat?

Most whale watching trips in Alaska do not have discounts for children. You have to pay the full fare.

Only you know how our child behaves, but though many of the comments may have sounded harsh, I think they are fair comments that a boat can be a dangerous place for a little kid. My first whale watch was when I was somewhere between 7-10 years old. I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember strongly how disappointed I was. There was a younger child running around on the deck. The kid fell, cracked his skull open, and the whole boat turned around to rush him back to the hospital. No whales for anyone, and it may have been a serious injury - I'm not sure since I was little and just really sad we had to turn around. Even if the water seems calm a wake can make the boat rock suddenly. A charter could really reduce the stress by allowing you to control how short or long the trip is. Either way though, one adult (or rotating duty of adults) is going to lose out on viewing to ensure safety. Both the charters and the tours will vary in boat size, so you would have to talk to the individual operators to find out more details.

Thanks!

Looking at some of your other posts it appears you are planning on doing the whale watching out of Icy Strait Point. We did a private charter with a company there last year for fishing and whale watching. The company is Glacier Wind Charters and they were excellent. That being said, I'm not sure they would take a party with a toddler. I know my daughter who was just shy of 13 was required to wear a life vest for the entire trip which made her none to happy as she has been on boats since she was a tiny girl. But it is a Coast Guard requirement for any child under 13. I'm not sure they would have a vest for a toddler. There are a few other companies that do private charters out of Hoonah that are often mentioned here as well. I think you would just need to contact each of them individually to find out their policies for taking young children. And you would also need to see if the ship excursion has any age limits as well. Then you can make a decision as to what you feel would work best for you and your child.

Also every passenger is required by the US Coast Guard to wear a personal floatation device provided by the boat.

If the boat does not have such a device for a child the size of yours, the rest of the discussion is mute.

There is another question here: will the whale watch company you choose allow a child of 11 months to be on the boat?

Most whale watching trips in Alaska do not have discounts for children. You have to pay the full fare.

Okay, it's been 12 years since my whale watch, but we didn't wear life vests. Either the requirement has changed, or it depends on the size of the boat. We were on a big boat on the cruise line's excursion. My daughter was 2, but very tiny for her age, more like the size of a 1 year old. If there had been any concern about having life jackets to fit, I doubt they would have let us go.

I just checked the Princess site for info on their whale watches. It doesn't say anything about a minimum age. I watched their short video and nobody is wearing life jackets. They didn't show any children, so I can't say for sure that they don't require them for kids, but certainly not for adults.

I was on a small boat tour (6 people I think) for whale watching and would not consider it appropriate for a one year old. If I were going to bring a one year old, I would go with a larger boat and I would probably go on the last tour of the day. My BIL went on the ship's tour later in the day and it was not a full tour. He thought perhaps half full at best. (this was in mid June). Perhaps this is not the case every time, but I would contact the vendor and ask which times are most likely to have the smaller crowds. If you can find a tour running without a full boat, you might be more comfortable bringing your one year old. The other thought would be for your group to split up and go at different times, leaving the one year old with the group not whale watching at the time.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Any way you look at it, it is more work, taking a toddler. Frankly, you ARE going to want life jackets that fit. Doesn't matter, if they are worn or not, but I will bet the bank, that for vendors to be insured and meet safety guidelines, there HAS to be fitting life jackets for ALL passengers. They may be stored and unknown to the passenger.

I too would only suggest a large multilevel boat. This at least offers more space. I would think, it would depend on the ship schedules how the loads are for a particular day, not always predictable.

Although the comment, that parents "know " their child the best, is true. I have run across many parents that just aren't based in reality about their children's behavior. All of us have witnessed this. This age group, changes drastically and any claims now, will not mean squat a couple months from now. :)

Any way you look at it, it is more work, taking a toddler. Frankly, you ARE going to want life jackets that fit. Doesn't matter, if they are worn or not, but I will bet the bank, that for vendors to be insured and meet safety guidelines, there HAS to be fitting life jackets for ALL passengers. They may be stored and unknown to the passenger.

Yes, but this is true on the cruise ship as well. They have to have proper life jackets for everyone, and they allow children as young as 6 months to cruise. When we cruised when my children were small, we did have life jackets to fit them in the cabin.

For a whale watch boat, I'm sure they also are required to HAVE life jackets for everyone. If they did not have ones that fit babies/toddlers, they would not allow them on board. Certainly it would be good to ASK any vendor you are considering about this issue, but I'm sure that some vendors can accommodate small children. The whale watch we took with my kids certainly did.

Hi everyone,

My 11-month-old will be coming along on our Alaskan cruise at the end of May. While we plan to be pretty low key with our plans, our family's one "must-do" is whale-watching. Typically, I would have booked a smaller charter boat for this. But with baby, who will probably be walking or running around, I thought it might be best to go with the ship's large boat excursion. Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with a toddler on a whale-watching trip? I would also take any other tips you might have with a baby in Alaska. And yes, I have also posted on the family board! :)

Thanks so much!

IIRC (and it has been several years since I've done a whale watch, so my recollection may NOT be correct) I think the operator requests pax to be quiet when on the outdoor decks on the big (ship shorex) boats. I think (though again I could be wrong) this is to reduce the effects of people on the whales.

So..... if your toddler goes into meltdown, where will you go? How will you handle it?

Another thing about the large ship shorex boats is that often, when a whale is spotted, there will be a STAMPEDE of pax from one location to another. That could be very dangerous for a small child, as the other pax will be fixated on GETTING TO THE VIEWING SPOT (full speed ahead and d*mn the torpedoes!) and not paying attention to small people near the floor.

Not sure how much port time you will have to accomplish the whale watch, BUT would it be possible for one group to go while the other group keeps the child, then the 2nd group go while the first group looks after the child?

I hope you can figure something out that works.

Another thing about the large ship shorex boats is that often, when a whale is spotted, there will be a STAMPEDE of pax from one location to another. That could be very dangerous for a small child, as the other pax will be fixated on GETTING TO THE VIEWING SPOT (full speed ahead and d*mn the torpedoes!) and not paying attention to small people near the floor.

Not sure how much port time you will have to accomplish the whale watch, BUT would it be possible for one group to go while the other group keeps the child, then the 2nd group go while the first group looks after the child?

The stampede happens on all the boats. :) But very valid point on the large boats where a lot more people are on board. It probably would be recommended to keep an area more center the range, and not the railing areas. Walk to the sighting areas, after the initial rush. Be WELL prepared for you to have very limited sightings, your priority is maintaining control over the child. :)

I have taken a 9 month old whale watching in Hawaii on a catamaran in the rain (the guides showed me where the child sized vests were located as soon as we boarded). We were fine holding her and taking turns with her so my husband and I could both have a chance to see the whales. I have also taken an 18 month old on an 11 night European cruise where I got stares from other passengers as we would be boarding a bus for an excursion, and then praises at the end of the tour for her good behavior and sweet demeanor. I now have a two year old that I wouldn't take on the same vacation as he is by nature more unruly. Only you can judge whether the demeanor of your child is well suited for the situation and then check with the tour operator for their rules. If you have a fairly even tempered child and family members to help, should be no problem. I also believe that children with good attentive parents should not be expected to stay home until the kids are grown. Travel can be enjoyed by all ages without inpacting the experience of others around you (and if a well behaved child being well managed by parents and grandparents still upsets other travelers, then they need to get over themselves).

We went on a small whale watch boat in Icy Strait. They hold 6 people and the Captain. There are some regulations regarding boats that hold 6 or less. That is why it is the max they take and the size of boat. Note th open area on the back. We were out there quite a bit. It was very crowded inside-but, we wanted to see the whales, anyway.

It was a rainy and cold day. Loved the whalewatch, but I do not think a toddler would have been very happy.

IMG_5768.jpg

Doable? Possibly, my DD was only crawling then, she walked at 14 months, and would have stayed in her baby carrier. Now, the patience to be on a 3 hour boat tour? She probably wouldn't have had that. She will be 3 for our cruise and I'm still worried it will keep her attention the whole time.

That said, if you want to risk the $, I would highly suggest you book a private charter rather than a shared boat, that way if stuff goes down, you've only ruined your tour, not the tour of others. Another option depending on your cruise line is to leave her in the ships nursery while you go do whale watching. The cost of the nursery on RCCL is cheaper than the cost of the excursion for her :) Something to consider if your ship has one for infants!

Archived