Coupon Books

purplehorsedog

I have seen several mentions of Alaska travel coupon books in these threads so I did a Google search and found several ranging from free to $100. Just wondering a) which one folks recommend b)Is it truly a case of you get what you pay for?

I have seen a few mentions on these threads of restrictions on coupon use. What kinds of restrictions are there? Is it difficult to use some, most or all of the coupons? Are there more restrictions on the coupons in the free books compared with the more pricey coupon book?

FYI...I am booked on Princess for an "On Your Own" land tour with two nights in Fairbanks, two nights in Denali and then a 7-night cruise from Whittier to Vancouver. Dates are June 22-July 3. My "must do" excursion is a Glacier Dog Sled trip (probably in Juneau, and yes, I am aware they are often cancelled due to whether so I am looking at back-up plans) and I would also like to do the White Pass train/bus tour in Skagway. Other than that, I am open to suggestions and might even make decisions based on what kind of deals I can get via coupons or some other source.

Any info, advice, tips appreciated. Thanks!

The northern lights and the toursaver coupon books are the ones referred to on these boards and on tripadvisor. Both books have websites that list every single item you can get with a coupon and all of the restrictions. Most of the buy one get one deals are limited by the vendor in terms of how many coupons they will honor on any particular day. This puts the onus on you to decide what you want and then make the reservation - letting the vendor know about the coupon. They will let you know if they have availability at the coupon price. You don't need to actually have the coupon in hand yet - so you can make the reservations and then buy the book before the trip. Toursaver requires that you bring the book and the coupon to the vendor and NL only needs the coupon itself - on the day of service - but verify.

Hope this helps,

Rachel

Who bought the NL book

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't need to actually have the coupon in hand yet - so you can make the reservations and then buy the book before the trip. Toursaver requires that you bring the book and the coupon to the vendor and NL only needs the coupon itself - on the day of service - but verify.

Not always, there are a few vendors who do require you to have the book before they will accept a reduced cost reservation. The Toursaver book is numbered and they will request this.

I have seen several mentions of Alaska travel coupon books in these threads so I did a Google search and found several ranging from free to $100. Just wondering a) which one folks recommend b)Is it truly a case of you get what you pay for?

I have seen a few mentions on these threads of restrictions on coupon use. What kinds of restrictions are there? Is it difficult to use some, most or all of the coupons? Are there more restrictions on the coupons in the free books compared with the more pricey coupon book?

FYI...I am booked on Princess for an "On Your Own" land tour with two nights in Fairbanks, two nights in Denali and then a 7-night cruise from Whittier to Vancouver. Dates are June 22-July 3. My "must do" excursion is a Glacier Dog Sled trip (probably in Juneau, and yes, I am aware they are often cancelled due to whether so I am looking at back-up plans) and I would also like to do the White Pass train/bus tour in Skagway. Other than that, I am open to suggestions and might even make decisions based on what kind of deals I can get via coupons or some other source.

It is a matter of getting what you pay for. None of the free coupon books are for tours, they are mostly merchant offers for purchases.

Being you have booked the "on your own", it's too bad because both the purchased coupon books have 2 for 1 on the Alaska RR. A car rental is 'necessary" in Fairbanks, it's a spread out city, with no central tourist area. Otherwise a lot of time is eaten up waiting for transportation, which becomes most costly than a rental.

Neither of your two listed tours has a coupon offer. Also available is the PWS boat tour, which you can not take advantage of with what you currently have booked.

The savings can be significant. I can save around $1000 every year. Have been using these coupons for at least 10 years. As an example- last year, got 3 free Kenai Fjords boat trips, (meals are never discounted) 2 free PWS boat tours, 1 glacier helicopter landing.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the coupon books can be a great deal, but maybe not for this trip given our existing plans.

Guess I'll have to plan a return trip once I get back from this one! :D

Yes, with similar to what you have booked, the coupon books could have offered you significant savings. Next time, perhaps, do more trip planning prior to booking. There are many "coupon" deals all around the world to consider. :)

• 2 months later...

The savings can be significant. I can save around $1000 every year. Have been using these coupons for at least 10 years. As an example- last year, got 3 free Kenai Fjords boat trips, (meals are never discounted) 2 free PWS boat tours, 1 glacier helicopter landing.

Is there an online company you can recommend to order the Northern Lights coupon book from? I noticed they have a BOGO free for PWS 5 1/4hr. boat tour. Just the tour I'm looking for! I called the tour company and they do indeed honor this coupon the date we will be there. This coupon alone would save me almost $100. Sounds too good to be true.....am I missing something?

Trudy

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the coupon books can be a great deal, but maybe not for this trip given our existing plans.

Guess I'll have to plan a return trip once I get back from this one! :D

Not sure what your looking for but at the pier before you board are stands with coupon books all over the dock before loading.

I have always found great deals in them and they are good at all your stops...free items to bogo and big discounts, I go thru them and cut out what I want in each port and happy shopping for me!!!

I usually grab 2 books incase there is something I want a lot of. 1 for me one for DH.

Is there an online company you can recommend to order the Northern Lights coupon book from? I noticed they have a BOGO free for PWS 5 1/4hr. boat tour. Just the tour I'm looking for! I called the tour company and they do indeed honor this coupon the date we will be there. This coupon alone would save me almost $100. Sounds too good to be true.....am I missing something?

Trudy

You have to order it from them directly

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

You're not missing anything but the cost of the book - $62.50 with shipping

Thank you for the link. Ordered mine today and am up $86.50 with the first coupon! :)

Trudy

Yes - very worthwhile! We booked a Kenai cruise, a PWS cruise AND the McKinley flight ... I think that's over $500 in booked excursions.

Folks looking can check eBay - lots of little used books available ... Just make sure the coupons you need are still in the book.

A little different coupon book great for souvenirs, you can download PDF and just print out what you want to take, I have used this coupon book for years...also has some history on the different ports.

A CC member shared link with me, since the ports do not allow to hand out anymore....

http://www.destinationalaska.com/

A little different coupon book great for souvenirs, you can download PDF and just print out what you want to take, I have used this coupon book for years...also has some history on the different ports.

A CC member shared link with me, since the ports do not allow to hand out anymore....

Not true, I just picked up one at Canada Place.

Not true, I just picked up one at Canada Place.

They are not being handed out at all ports to all cruise line passengers as in the past. Here is what they say on their web site:

NOTICE: We are grateful that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will allow Destination Alaska at embarkation. If you are sailing from Seattle on the Celebrity Solstice or the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas you will receive a copy at embarkation. Destination Alaska will also be distributed to those embarking from Seward.

We hope you, the customer, will let your cruise line know that you are disappointed that you will NOT be getting our book at embarkation in 2013. Specifically Princess, Holland America, Carnival, and Norwegian will not allow us to distribute Destination Alaska in Seattle and Whittier. We know how much cruise passengers enjoy using our book, and we hope we will be allowed to distribute again in the future.

They are not being handed out at all ports to all cruise line passengers as in the past. Here is what they say on their web site:

NOTICE: We are grateful that Celebrity and Royal Caribbean will allow Destination Alaska at embarkation. If you are sailing from Seattle on the Celebrity Solstice or the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas you will receive a copy at embarkation. Destination Alaska will also be distributed to those embarking from Seward.

We hope you, the customer, will let your cruise line know that you are disappointed that you will NOT be getting our book at embarkation in 2013. Specifically Princess, Holland America, Carnival, and Norwegian will not allow us to distribute Destination Alaska in Seattle and Whittier. We know how much cruise passengers enjoy using our book, and we hope we will be allowed to distribute again in the future.

Well this appears inaccurate as well. As it was available with the Diamond Princess embarkment.

Well this appears inaccurate as well. As it was available with the Diamond Princess embarkment.

In Whittier or Vancouver? They make no mention of Vancouver, just Seattle and Whittier.

I hope they are wrong and we will actually get one, but I'm not betting on it. I always enjoyed looking through them, even if I rarely used the coupons.

In Whittier or Vancouver? They make no mention of Vancouver, just Seattle and Whittier.

I hope they are wrong and we will actually get one, but I'm not betting on it. I always enjoyed looking through them, even if I rarely used the coupons.

Vancouver

I just downloaded this e-book. Do I really need to print out all of the coupons I'm thinking of using. Royal pain in the @ss. I was hoping that I could just pull up the coupon on my cell phone and show it at the check-out. Anyone ever try that?

With the cost of checking luggage, I'd prefer to not stuff my suitcase with a bunch of papers that I may or may not use. We leave this Friday, so I'll have to decide if I'm gonna print out any of the pages by Thursday.

Archived