Civitavecchia to Rome

jackheart

You would travel all the way to Italy, a wonderful country with some of the BEST food in this world, and you would choose to eat at McDonald's?

If you're a DIY traveler (like myself), then pick one, maybe two at the most, of your top-of-the-list must-see sights, and spend time there. Get off the ship early and take the train into the city. Whether it is the Vatican City, the Colosseum, Ancient Rome, etc., spending a good amount of time in one or two places is better, and less stressful, then trying to see everything (you really don't "see" everything when you're pressured for time).

Another DIY idea is to take a hop on/off bus tour in Rome. There are one or two bus companies that tour the city and stop at the main sights. I think the tours may start/end at the train station.

Last option, as someone mentioned above, is to take a ship excursion. You will be sure to be off the ship early and back to the ship in time.

Buon Viaggio!

I was wondering about the McDonald's thing as well. Maybe it's just the novelty of seeing other food items on the menu that would be interesting? But I agree, McDonald's would be the last place I would choose to eat if I was in Italy!

Sounds like the OP only gets five hours in port. I think that's much too short for a trip into Rome on a DIY tour. By the time you arrived in the city, you'd have 60-90 minutes before you'd have to start making your way back in order to make sure you didn't miss the boat. Ah, so sad...to be so close to Rome yet not able to actually get to see and enjoy. I'd be so frustrated.

OP hope you don't mind me jumping in ....

ssb - can I ask what you would suggest doing around Civitavecchia?

DH and MIL are going on a tour to Rome and I will be staying back with the children (almost 5 and almost 1yo). I would like to do a little bit of browsing with the children but there doesn't seem to be very much (that I can find:o ) apart from the promenade near where the ship docks and the small beach ... any other suggestions would be appreciated:)

You would travel all the way to Italy, a wonderful country with some of the BEST food in this world, and you would choose to eat at McDonald's?

brunello 22 and labeachcomber - perhaps you should read the thread fully before you make judgements about people's choices.

The OP asked a question about Rome in 5 hours to which there have been some very good replies. OnlyMe asked the above question and received different responses based on her circumstances - i.e. staying behind with young children whilst her DH and MIL visit Rome. I can assure you that when my kids were 5 and 1 I would have been glad to find a nice beach and a McDonalds. Please read the thread fully before you jump in with judgemental statements :rolleyes:

The RCCL bus dropped us off basically at the Vatican if I recall correctly and we were told to meet back in 5-6 hours (don't remember the exact timing).

We immediately got in line to the Vatican, which wasn't long. The only thing we wanted to see at the Vatican was the Sistine Chapel so we literally walked very fast through the entire thing to get to the Sistine Chapel.

Then we got a cab and headed over to the Coliseum and spent some time there. The Forum was right next door essentially.

Then we walked back, found a restaurant to sit down and eat at.

That was about it. Other than getting through the Vatican as quickly as possible, we weren't rushed necessarily.

But, we didn't get to see the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps. Just not enough time.

ETA: The bus drive was about 2 hours each way. So if you literally had only 5 hours from start to finish, you could NOT do it all. That's why, in my opinion, I wouldn't do this without using RCCL transportation. At least that way if there's a problem they will hold the ship, or get you back on board as quickly as possible. If you take the train or other transportation, you're on your own!

Wow!

If you think this would be the only time to see Rome...do it!!

And I agree to repeat wowprincess I wouldn't do this without using RCCL excursion transportation!

At least that way if there's a problem they will hold the ship, or get you back on board as quickly as possible.

If you take the train or other transportation, you're on your own

and with any issue you may be left behind!!!

Do not rent a car but take the train for 12 Euros. Its a 10-15 minute walk to the train station from the port. The van services are odd when you go online it says from $35 per person that is when you enter two people it goes up to$150 so buyer be ware. The locals take the train and there is a stop at San Pietro by the Vatican or at Termini . From the port-the train station and Rome train station to your hotel you can take a cab and you would still be ahead of paying $150 .

to the OP: Not to be nosey, but it doesn't seem reasonable for a cruise line to only allow five hours docking for Rome. Are you sure you only have five hours? What line are you cruising with?

Edited by DWhit

brunello 22 and labeachcomber - perhaps you should read the thread fully before you make judgements about people's choices.

The OP asked a question about Rome in 5 hours to which there have been some very good replies. OnlyMe asked the above question and received different responses based on her circumstances - i.e. staying behind with young children whilst her DH and MIL visit Rome. I can assure you that when my kids were 5 and 1 I would have been glad to find a nice beach and a McDonalds. Please read the thread fully before you jump in with judgemental statements :rolleyes:

Thanks Bobal:);)

Yep, we don't usually go to McDonalds with the children so it will be a lovely treat for them and after all they are on vacation too so should get to do some things they like too ... and it will buy Mammy some browsing time at the market lol.

It's very easy to buy tickets. It's only a small station and the people who work there speak very good English. From memory I think Marinella is the first stop after leaving Civitavecchia on the train to Rome - it's only about 5 miles away and you can actually see the beach from the train.

By the way there's also a Subway in Civitavecchia with free Wifi where we've spent many an hour killing time before catching our train back to the airport in Rome.

Fantastic! Thank you so much for so much information .. we might just go to Marinella anyways as neither of the children have been on a train before and I know my eldest would love it.

i mentioned a Mcdonalds only because Im a grandma and believe me when you have two very young children in a hot country your glad to go somewhere familiar especially when you know they have nice clean toilets .....;)

Ive also looked again at old photos and Im sure there some little childrens rides on the promanade. what ever you decide to do youll have a lovely time

i mentioned a Mcdonalds only because Im a grandma and believe me when you have two very young children in a hot country your glad to go somewhere familiar especially when you know they have nice clean toilets .....;)

Ive also looked again at old photos and Im sure there some little childrens rides on the promanade. what ever you decide to do youll have a lovely time

I would never have thought of looking for a McDonalds Jen - absolutely going to be a great bargaining tool that day - its a brilliant plan, thank you!

How can my wife and I get from Civitavecchia to Rome and back in 5 Hours? Any sugestions on what to see in Rome quickly?

Cruised there this past summer ... my advice, any time you're on an international cruise and want to travel farther away from port than you can walk, spend the extra money on an excursion. If there's a problem with your transportation, the ship will wait for you. If you book the travel on your own and miss the ship, you're out of luck and they've got your passports so it'll take days to cross into another country to catch up with the ship. Sooooo not worth the risk!

Cruised there this past summer ... my advice, any time you're on an international cruise and want to travel farther away from port than you can walk, spend the extra money on an excursion. If there's a problem with your transportation, the ship will wait for you. If you book the travel on your own and miss the ship, you're out of luck and they've got your passports so it'll take days to cross into another country to catch up with the ship. Sooooo not worth the risk!

I agree. On our 2009 Italian Med cruise, we paid over £400 for the excursion to Rome. It was worth every penny (just for the peace of mind) given the distance had to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome.

Yes, it was a whistle-stop tour of Rome. We did the Colosseum, the Forum, and walked to the Piazza Navona with a guide, then we had two hours on our own. We walked to the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain, then walked back to the Piazza Navona to meet our guide for the journey back to the ship. My feet were steaming, and we were exhausted, but it was a great day.

A HUGE time saving tip for the Vatican Museum - PRE-BOOK! You prepay for your tickets and you have a "reservation." It will save you a tremendous amount of time in line. The link is below:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?weblang=en&do

Lydia

You can only reserve tickets now, can not pay for them. They Vatican is no longer allowed to accept credit cards, they are cash only. The Vatican bank lost all their rights to use/accept them.

With limited time you could do all this but probably not Giglio?

but rent a car and go and grab someone else to share from your hotel!

or use train or use buses.

Tarquinia is a quick hop on the train from Civitavecchia (13 minutes or so). There are also buses.

I'd go to Tarquinia, personally, just to see the Etruscan tombs: a must see :D

Marinella, (around 5-10 mins)

is a really nice sandy beach and local resort area!

Giglio for a look on salvage as

crews begin the mammoth task of refloating the Costa Concordia

Civitavecchia - intown (see net)

We have stayed there up on hillside

before and are again in November up at cattle ranch overlooking the town and port! A wonderful restaurant on site with

menu of own beef, and home grown food! A real treat!:)

SSB- do you have the contact information for that Cattle Ranch place ?

we are deciding where to stay pre-cruise in August and might like that.

Thanks

Denise & Bill

Can I just ask, is it fairly straightforward buying train tickets and knowing what train to get on and where to get off? I will be a bit nervous on my own with the two children but if I know the run of things I will be less so I think. I could always opt for a taxi there and train back or vice versa??

As has already been said Cavittavechia is a small station and buying a ticket is easy. Stations are well marked. BUT remember after buying your ticket you must validate it in a machine on the platform before boarding the train. These machines are yellow boxes and easy to find as there are a number dotted around. This system is the same for all trains in Italy. If you forget to validate the ticket before boarding you can be fined on the train.

I was wondering about the McDonald's thing as well. Maybe it's just the novelty of seeing other food items on the menu that would be interesting? But I agree, McDonald's would be the last place I would choose to eat if I was in Italy!

Sounds like the OP only gets five hours in port. I think that's much too short for a trip into Rome on a DIY tour. By the time you arrived in the city, you'd have 60-90 minutes before you'd have to start making your way back in order to make sure you didn't miss the boat. Ah, so sad...to be so close to Rome yet not able to actually get to see and enjoy. I'd be so frustrated.

FYI the McDonald's at the Spanish Step has it's own Gelato place out front, and it's good Gelato. :D That one's also well worth walking into to see the interior structure of the building. It's been built inside a very old building - great arches and pillars.

Lydia

You can only reserve tickets now, can not pay for them. They Vatican is no longer allowed to accept credit cards, they are cash only. The Vatican bank lost all their rights to use/accept them.

I just went through it, it still gives you the same "reservation" for getting in, which is the big thing.

Lydia

If you are on a cruise, I'd highly recommend taking a ship excursion. Traffic in Rome can be tricky, and you don't have any time for things to go wrong. Sign up for an excursion and enjoy the ride. ~

The very best advice!

With only 5 hours (why so short - sorry if that was answered, as I only had time for the first page?) I highly recommend Rome Cabs. Forget the train. Get whisked away in a private vehicle. They would see much more and faster than if they tried to do anything on their own. I did tours and transfers with them last year, and they are wonderful! :)

Can you elaborate a bit more on this. What type of trouble and how long a delay?

On our last trip there ended up being a strike on the line so no one from the ship actually got out to Rome if they were planning on using the train. From what I was told this happens quite often and can leave you in a bad spot if it happens once you are in Rome and can't come back. We met a couple on our last cruise who had sailed to Citavecchia four times and never actually made it to Rome. We were going to do it on our own and at the last minute decided to go for an excursion: I am SOOOOO glad we did as my husband would have been so disappointed not to see Rome.

On our last trip there ended up being a strike on the line so no one from the ship actually got out to Rome if they were planning on using the train. From what I was told this happens quite often and can leave you in a bad spot if it happens once you are in Rome and can't come back. We met a couple on our last cruise who had sailed to Citavecchia four times and never actually made it to Rome. We were going to do it on our own and at the last minute decided to go for an excursion: I am SOOOOO glad we did as my husband would have been so disappointed not to see Rome.

I have to say they must have been VERY unlucky to have strikes on all 4 occasions :eek: We have sailed from Civitavecchia 3 times and called in as a port on 3 other occasions. We have always caught the train and never had a problem.

I have to say they must have been VERY unlucky to have strikes on all 4 occasions :eek: We have sailed from Civitavecchia 3 times and called in as a port on 3 other occasions. We have always caught the train and never had a problem.

Maybe you were extremely lucky! :D:p

If seeing Rome is your #1 attraction to this cruise I would take an excursion or private tour