Our cruise is in 5 days and we have no shoes!! HELP PLEASE - recommendations needed!!

jennytsk

My husband (!! this is our honeymoon!) and I have never been on a cruise, and I have never been to Europe at all. We're doing a 12-night Mediterranean cruise with LOTS of shore excursions (walking, not hiking or anything). We need to get appropriate shoes and have NO clue which brands/styles are good. I'm 28, he's 30. We're usually in dress shoes or our old sneakers so ANY recommendations for sandals and walking sneakers that won't make us blistery achy messes by day 12 will be greatly appreciated.

Any brand you've found to be particularly comfortable? Any you'd NEVER wear again?

Thanks!

Land's End all weather mocs. I wore them all over Italy and on our shore excursions. They are a bit clunky, and may be a little warm for the time of year that you're travelling, but check out Landsend.com and see if there's anything else that might suit you. And if you're in an airline mileage program, go in through their mall to get mileage credit for the purchase (lots of online retailers participate)!

My favorite walking sandals are, by far, Birkenstock. But I also have had good luck with Clarks, Merrell and Born. I just got a new pair of clog type of shoes called Sofftees (sp), I think they will be a great walking shoe.

Please make sure, whatever you choose, to wear them walking before your cruise. Before you buy them walk around in the store, a lot. Bad shoes can make a vacation miserable with sore, blistered feet. I don't believe properly fitting shoes should have to be "broken in".

I just bought a new pair of walking sandels called "Walking Cradles". The footbed is unbelievable:D comfy, comfy, comfy!

There are lots of choices as you can see. Many people also like Rockports too.

Good luck with your search:)

Jenny - Congratulations on your wedding, I hope you have a wonderful Honeymoon. My suggestion is since you leave in just a couple of days is to throw your old sneakers in "Just in case" your feet are killing you. Sometimes after walking on the concrete and cobblestones and stairs for days your feet want your "old" shoes. Have a great time.

I swear by DANSKO. Clarks are too "bendable" in the sole. They don't hold your foot in place. If you have never worn Birkenstock don't get them for this cruise! Many people cannot wear them at all.

I agree, throw your old sneakers in the suitcase, just in case.

oops, we never answered your question....most of these brands do make

Men's shoes. I know Clarks, Rockports, and Merrell's have them.

I disagree with the Clark bendable thing. I have worn them for years and I

love them:)

I would definetly recommend any of the above shoes. I have several pair of Dansko clog type shoes and I just got a pair of sandles for my cruise. They are very comfortable and last forever...I have had some of them for years. They would be suitable for going about town and such but I do not think you would like wearing them on any long walks in the woods...although I have done that. The Ulus are hard to find but very comfortable and have a hip look to them. The Keen sandle/water shoes are sooooo comfortable and they would be suitable for light hiking! Merrel is another comfortable shoe and New Balance sneakers are the best. These are my opinions and are shoes I love. I know about walking because I stand and walk many hours a day at work. I wear the New Balance for that and the others for other times. Don't forget your flip flops for the cabin!

Lisa

ps As for high heels...what are those? lol hahahaha I can't weem to wear those!

I love shoes esp pretty ones but for walking around in Europe comfortable is key. Merrells is what both my DH and I have found work best for us. We've tried Birks, they just don't fit us well I don't know why. I've also had very good walking sandals from Land's End. But, despite Land's End excellent customer service and good products, I just think the Merrells were better, for us at least. DH owns now at least 3 pairs to suit the weather. I also think Merrells can be much cuter than most others.

Hi:) shoes anyone? LOL.....I forgot, my sis wears Ecco's and I know she likes them alot. She has had foot problems and says they are excellent.

I just went looking for new walking shoes today and decided to try them.

They have an Ecco store at the St Augustine Outlet mall.....(only about 25 minutes from me). I found a very comfy pair for 40.00:D and their shoes can

run over 100 bucks. They also had get the 2nd item for 50% off. I got

a new leather backpack! It is not too big and not too small...just right!:)

It is sooooo soft and black leather. Really nice for cruise docs, passport,

paperback book, etc, etc.!

How come New Balance is supposed to be so good? I didn't think they felt

like were anything special when I tried them. And most were in the

$80.00-$100.00 range wherever I have seen them. More than I spend

for sneakers.

For comfort I always go with a good jogging/running shoe because they seem to provide more cushion. I used to buy Nike, but the last few years I have bought New Balance and have been very pleased with them. These jogging shoes have a range of models and prices, and while I don't buy the most expensive, I stay away from the lower priced ones also. My biggest problem is finding a style that I like; some of the new styles (especially in the Nike line) just don't appeal to me.

We're going on a Baltic Sea cruise in a week, and my husband was convinced that the Nike walking shoes I'd been wearing for years didn't fit as well as I thought they did and wouldn't serve me well on our trip. I have wide feet and we went to the New Balance store where they were able to fit me with the most comfortable shoes I've ever had! I'm glad he talked me into spending the extra $$! Lisa

I'm a person w/ foot problems. I have wide feet and have always had a horrible time finding shoes. A few years ago I had painful plantar's fasciatas, visited the podiatrist a few times and was ready to have custom made orthotics. Then a friend told me to hold off on those, as in her opinion they didn't always work and there's always the issue of what shoes they'll fit into. I did and tried her suggestions, Dansko and Birkenstock. Success!

Tried New Balance and didn't touch my Saucony's. The top of the line Gel Asics running shoe was nice, but my $40 Saucony's (Grid Diversion) from Kohl's were comparable and did great for me even though I have lots of foot problems. I wore the Sauconys in Europe after I didn't break in a NEW pair or Birkenstocks walking all over London. Bad idea, but moleskin to the rescue and broke them in on the trip. They really don't need more than a handful of longer wearings or 10 shorter wearings. Wear them around the house, that's what I did w/ my previous pairs and it worked great.

In Europe you walk and walk everywhere. This is very tiring on the feet, but good for the waistline and appetite. You can eat your way along and not gain weight because you are walking everywhere! :D

The Danskos will not need a break in period and give wonderful arch support. The only thing is that they often have a heel and it's easy to twist your ankle on the cobbled streets of Europe. I'd have to give the nod to Birkenstocks in the sandal dept because of that reason. If you can find a low pair of Dansko's, you'll be set. For Europe 2003 I wore my Danskos on the plane and that was about it once I realized the deal w/ the cobbled sidewalks. The rest of the trip I lived in my Birkenstock sandals -- even climbing an open staired, narrow turret to the top of City Hall in Rothenburg. (Not recommended, but it worked! lol!) For Europe 2004 I lived in my Birkenstocks even w/ the blister. But I had the Saucony running shoes as back up and used them a few times.

Warning - Don't get the imitation Birkenstocks w/o a LONG break in period to be sure they'll work. Even the Tulas at Payless don't fit the same as true Birkenstocks for me. Though Payless's Tula brand are licensed by Birkenstock.

Each Birkenstock style fits my foot differently. Be sure to try on EVERY pair you like. I try them on locally and often purchase online as they have many more styles. Just be sure to note the footbed style - Classic, Papillo, Alternate, etc.

Here's where I bought several pairs and be sure to check the Bargains section each week or so they add more styles.

www.birkenstockcentral.com

www.birkenstockexpress.com

Dansko has an online outlet as well. www.danskooutlet.com I've actually driven there, 2hrs. from here in PA. I've had my shoes for 4 years now and they look the same. Danskos wear incredibly, even better than Birkenstocks.

Hope this helps.

Wife and I just back from 2 weeks in Europe. I can tell you that if you want to stand out of the crowd and look like an American tourist, wear New Balance shoes. The only people we saw wearing them were American women.

The only Birkenstock-style shoe was on the cleaning women in our hotel, post cruise.

Europeans were wearing Puma and Adidas with some Nike's. Also ballet shoes and flat slipper-looking shoes were all over.

This is not a commentary on comfort, just what women were wearing.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

Which were native to the country you were in and which were touring as well? We saw many other Europeans who had on similar shoes to our Birks and Danskos and many w/ various athletic shoes. The Puma styles were definitely in last summer. These other Europeans weren't necessarily native to the country we were visiting, but they were still Europeans! ;)

And, remember, many of the native Europeans you will be seeing are not walking all day long. They are at work or home, most likely, whenever and whereever you will see them. Just something to think about.

Go with what feels best or you will be sorry and will have spent an incredible amount of energy, time and money to have it dampened by sore, miserably sore, feet and legs. Just my $.02 :)

I love my Bare Trap Sandals and Reebok cross trainers for walking. And we walk walk walk in Europe. DH and I go to Portugal frequently.

Forget the dress shoes for touring. You'll just need them for dinner.

Enjoy your cruise-------Boa Voyagem.

Archived