New ferry schedule

Bell Ringer

We are leaving for Bermuda on the 7th...and the new times for St. Georges ferry start on the 8th. When will the schedules be out for us to make our plans? I had thought I read that they would be out on the 1st, but can't find anything. I doubt if the ship (Explorer) will have them on the ship, since it's the first cruise to Bermuda.-

I have been waiting for it also, but having been on the Explorer and Summit many times to Bermuda....I do not find it any different from year to year and don't expect the new one to be any different. (which was supposed to come out by now)...From what I understand, only the prices are going to change.

The summer 2013 schedule was just posted. Note that it does not go into effect until April 15, which means if the winter schedule is being used for one additional week, April 8-14, there won't be any Orange Route service between Dockyard and St. George's for that week (unless they're going to have some sort of temporary schedule for the one week).

BTW, the file size is very large. It may take a while to download:

http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202013.pdf

PS: The price of passes did go up 25%. The price of a token is still listed at $4.00. Price of ticket books did not increase. Cash fare is still $4.50...and...there is no longer a statement that cash is not accepted on the ferries...who knows if that's true or an an omission, but I think it may be true because the cash price was not listed on the ferry schedule in past years.

Your news is not making me very happy about our trip! Readjustment in process. At least I got the warning, as a group that are traveling with us depend on me to do the research. It will just be a longer trek to St. Georges. I was not able to get the download, for some reason. Will try again later.

The summer 2013 schedule was just posted. Note that it does not go into effect until April 15, which means if the winter schedule is being used for one additional week, April 8-14, there won't be any Orange Route service between Dockyard and St. George's for that week (unless they're going to have some sort of temporary schedule for the one week).

PS: The price of passes did go up 25%. The price of a token is still listed at $4.00. Price of ticket books did not increase. Cash fare is still $4.50...and...there is no longer a statement that cash is not accepted on the ferries...who knows if that's true or an an omission, but I think it may be true because the cash price was not listed on the ferry schedule in past years.

Ok, maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but it seems there are less ferries to St. George's this year. On Monday/Wednesday/Thursday if you miss the 9:30 ferry you have to wait until 11:30 :rolleyes:. Where did the 10:30 go? I'm not even going to think what the lines will look like for those ferries :eek:. Do you think they will put on additional ferries for those times?

Where did the 6:30 St. George's to Dockyard go? I guess it's a shorter day in St. George's and take the 5:15.

Even the afternoon Hamilton to Dockyard looks sparse. They used to run every half hour now it's an hour.

I can see the logic of the Tuesday/Friday schedules because that's sailaway days for the NCL ships but can anyone explain the logic to this new schedule?

I have talked to a lady in the tourism dept. of Bermuda, and she called me back.

I am now clear, but not happy about the details:

No ferry service to St. Georges until April 15. The raised prices took effect on April 1st...( the beginning of their fiscal year). There will be additional ferry service between Dockyards and Hamilton than are listed on the schedule when the "tourist season starts" She didn't have any details, to share.

So this week, when the Explorer arrives in Bermuda, our choice of getting to St. Georges is with the $15 day pass to take the ferry, and walk to the bus station to ride to St. Georges, and reverse to come back to the ship. There will be also "mini bus rides" at $15 / person to SG. so I guess that would be $30 / person round trip. Taxi service ( for up to 6 people ( max capacity/ taxi) is $55.50 flat rate. ( one way)

STILL the ferry bus passes are the way to go! You can stop and get on , get off for the one fee.

Is all that clear?

I have talked to a lady in the tourism dept. of Bermuda, and she called me back.

I am now clear, but not happy about the details:

No ferry service to St. Georges until April 15. The raised prices took effect on April 1st...( the beginning of their fiscal year). There will be additional ferry service between Dockyards and Hamilton than are listed on the schedule when the "tourist season starts" She didn't have any details, to share.

So this week, when the Explorer arrives in Bermuda, our choice of getting to St. Georges is with the $15 day pass to take the ferry, and walk to the bus station to ride to St. Georges, and reverse to come back to the ship. There will be also "mini bus rides" at $15 / person to SG. so I guess that would be $30 / person round trip. Taxi service ( for up to 6 people ( max capacity/ taxi) is $55.50 flat rate. ( one way)

STILL the ferry bus passes are the way to go! You can stop and get on , get off for the one fee.

Is all that clear?

I wonder about the accuracy of the $55.50 flat rate information. That's the going hourly flat rate for a 5-6 passenger taxi tour, which normally has a three hour minimum .

Not long ago someone here received am email response to some transportation questions, and the answers were wrong. After Cruise Critic posters provided the correct information, the poster wrote back and the person in Bermuda admitted they had given out misinformation.

So this week, when the Explorer arrives in Bermuda, our choice of getting to St. Georges is with the $15 day pass to take the ferry, and walk to the bus station to ride to St. Georges, and reverse to come back to the ship.

Last year a city bus was picking up pax at the ferry in Hamilton and taking them to the bus station so you might want to inquire about that. It will save a walk to the bus station.

There will be also "mini bus rides" at $15 / person to SG. so I guess that would be $30 / person round trip.

This must be something new. I wonder what it will be like trying to get on a mini bus when the regular bus lines can be long.

Taxi service ( for up to 6 people ( max capacity/ taxi) is $55.50 flat rate. ( one way)

I agree with what NJH says about the taxis.

Yes, even with a fare increase, they are the way to go.

I wonder about the accuracy of the $55.50 flat rate information. That's the going hourly flat rate for a 5-6 passenger taxi tour, which normally has a three hour minimum .

Not long ago someone here received am email response to some transportation questions, and the answers were wrong. After Cruise Critic posters provided the correct information, the poster wrote back and the person in Bermuda admitted they had given out misinformation.

Yes, I originally started asking by private message on FB, the questions about the ferry....all of those answers were incorrect! I think I know more about Bermuda than whoever is "Bermuda Tourism" although I do like the pictures he/she publishes.

Well, it won't be long till we can observe the changes in scheduling ourselves.

Ok, maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but it seems there are less ferries to St. George's this year. On Monday/Wednesday/Thursday if you miss the 9:30 ferry you have to wait until 11:30 :rolleyes:. Where did the 10:30 go? I'm not even going to think what the lines will look like for those ferries :eek:. Do you think they will put on additional ferries for those times?

Where did the 6:30 St. George's to Dockyard go? I guess it's a shorter day in St. George's and take the 5:15.

Even the afternoon Hamilton to Dockyard looks sparse. They used to run every half hour now it's an hour.

I can see the logic of the Tuesday/Friday schedules because that's sailaway days for the NCL ships but can anyone explain the logic to this new schedule?

The logic is too many poorly maintained broken-down ferries to provide more frequent service. Were it not for the ferry they're chartering for the Dockyard-St. George's route there might be no service at all between those two points.

Archived