We found DR. PEPPER onboard !!!

Some of you probably already knew this, others may not - I've never seen a thread about it on CC. We were onboard Mariner 2 weeks ago. Teenage son had the soda drink package and not happy that there was no Dr. Pepper. We were under the impression that the only sodas available were Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite. On about day 4 of the cruise, I spotted a woman at a table on the pool deck with a Diet Dr. Pepper so I politely asked where she found it or if she brought it onboard herself. She said all you have to do is ask at just about any of the bars, pool bar, sky bar, the one at the entrance of the Windjammer (name escapes me at the moment), etc., that they have other sodas available in cans. We were able to get Dr. Pepper and Sprite Zero, my family's two main drinks. The only catch ... these are not included in the soda package and you have to pay $2.59 per can. Seems to me if RC is going to have a soda package, ALL sodas need to be included, not just a very few (just my little opinion) :rolleyes: But at least for the next cruise, we know that we can have a Dr. Pepper or Sprite Zero if we want one. :D

Glad you found the drinks you were looking for. I had a similar problem on Independence in february - luckily found out right away and they actually did not charge me at all for my sprite zero since I had the soda package. The one stipulation was they could only give it to me in a cup - can't give you the can or else you pay for it. I am sorry you were charged per can....they should have poured it for you into cups and included it then in your soda package.

Good to know about the other products available in the can. As is stated when you purchase the package it is for fountain drinks only.

Add up how many canned soft drinks your son actually consumes and then decide if on the next cruise buy the one or two cans a day.

Glad you found the drinks you were looking for. I had a similar problem on Independence in february - luckily found out right away and they actually did not charge me at all for my sprite zero since I had the soda package. The one stipulation was they could only give it to me in a cup - can't give you the can or else you pay for it. I am sorry you were charged per can....they should have poured it for you into cups and included it then in your soda package.

I will have to try that.

Yet another reason to bring some soda onboard if they don't offer it on the ship and it's not included in the drink package. $2.59 per can?! On top of what the soda package costs? That's a 1000% markup!

It's been several years since I've cruised on RC. I thought the soda package gives you some special cup with an RF chip that works in those fancy soda dispensers where you can mix and match any type of soda you want? Wouldn't Dr. Pepper be included in that? Lime Coke, Cherry Sprite, etc. I thought I read about it here, or is it only specific to ships like Oasis and Allure?

Actually no they should not have poured into Cups and included it in the package. It clearly states the Soda package is fountain Soda only. You were lucky in that you didn´t have to pay for it, but it´s not the norm.

Yet another reason to bring some soda onboard if they don't offer it on the ship and it's not included in the drink package. $2.59 per can?! On top of what the soda package costs? That's a 1000% markup!

It's been several years since I've cruised on RC. I thought the soda package gives you some special cup with an RF chip that works in those fancy soda dispensers where you can mix and match any type of soda you want? Wouldn't Dr. Pepper be included in that? Lime Coke, Cherry Sprite, etc. I thought I read about it here, or is it only specific to ships like Oasis and Allure?

I believe the Freestyle machines offer Pibb and not Dr. Pepper (the ones I have seen on dry land, this has been the case).

Some ships have the freestyle machine, not all.

I don't see your logic. The drink package is for fountain soft drinks, not canned. We make our choice - we are fine with Diet Coke from the fountain so we get the package because it is more convenient that buying individual cans.

Good to know about the other products available in the can. As is stated when you purchase the package it is for fountain drinks only.

Yeah, they clearly say it's only fountain drinks -- but don't tell you how the fountain drinks are very limited. We got surprised when a waiter on Mariner said they had DP and didn't mention that it was an add-on till he showed back up with the receipt.

They also don't mention that there's not an actual fountain for passenger use -- deck service was awful, and sending a 10-year-old girl to the bar to try to get a drink is ridiculous. Both the soft drink package and the "premium inclusive" package were so poorly managed that they weren't worth it, and really left a bad impression of our last cruise as a whole.

I believe the Freestyle machines offer Pibb and not Dr. Pepper (the ones I have seen on dry land, this has been the case).

DH works for Coke. Dr. Pepper could be on a freestyle machine depending on RCCL's customer agreement.

Ships with Freestyle machine will include Sprite Zero. I like Dr. Pepper, butt find Pibb (included) to be just as yummy.

OP, do you guys not like Pibb? I realize you we're on a ship that doesn't have the freestyle, but on future sailings on other ships, you might lie the plan.

Ships with Freestyle machine will include Sprite Zero. I like Dr. Pepper, butt find Pibb (included) to be just as yummy.

OP, do you guys not like Pibb? I realize you we're on a ship that doesn't have the freestyle, but on future sailings on other ships, you might lie the plan.

Mr Pibb and Dr Pepper are identical. I'm pretty sure I saw Pibb in JR a couple of weeks ago. I don't drink soda anymore (maybe 3-4 times a year) but my fav was always Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb.

Mr Pibb and Dr Pepper are identical. I'm pretty sure I saw Pibb in JR a couple of weeks ago. I don't drink soda anymore (maybe 3-4 times a year) but my fav was always Dr Pepper/Mr Pibb.

I think they are pretty close to identical, but know some people who actually have a preference. Lol. Being a Georgia girl, I prefer Coke products. ;)

I think they are pretty close to identical, but know some people who actually have a preference. Lol. Being a Georgia girl, I prefer Coke products. ;)

I'm originally a Texas girl. I was raised on Dr. Pepper (glass bottles). Love the taste, but honestly, I can't taste a difference and I've been drinking Dr. Pepper since the 1960's.

we have always brought a couple of 12 packs of soda and bottled water at embarkation, but when I checked the RCI website today in the FAQ's it states that non-alcoholic beverages can't be brought...can this be true??? Has anyone been on an RCI cruise very recently and had experience with this???

Debbie

Yeah, they clearly say it's only fountain drinks -- but don't tell you how the fountain drinks are very limited. We got surprised when a waiter on Mariner said they had DP and didn't mention that it was an add-on till he showed back up with the receipt.

They also don't mention that there's not an actual fountain for passenger use -- deck service was awful, and sending a 10-year-old girl to the bar to try to get a drink is ridiculous. Both the soft drink package and the "premium inclusive" package were so poorly managed that they weren't worth it, and really left a bad impression of our last cruise as a whole.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

we have always brought a couple of 12 packs of soda and bottled water at embarkation, but when I checked the RCI website today in the FAQ's it states that non-alcoholic beverages can't be brought...can this be true??? Has anyone been on an RCI cruise very recently and had experience with this???

Debbie

You are correct that it is Royal's policy that no beverages can be brought on board, except for 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. However, this policy is usually not enforced. They seem to be more likely to enforce the ban during the spring break period.

How strange, and welcome to the boards. In most of my transactions on the ships if I order a drink at dinner they want my card before it is delivered so if there is a misunderstanding it can be corrected before I am charged. I can understand however if it was your first cruise and first meal ordering an extra pay item.

I have to agree, on some of the ships the deck service for soft drinks is not as attentive as it should be, cost one waiter a tip. On the first day we usually tip the server for our drinks to let them know better orders will be coming. One server was downright surly! I mentioned her specifically in your end of cruise survey.

I don't know what you mean about the packages being poorly managed. Please come back and elaborate.

HA! If I'm writing a shopping list and I want to buy some "sodas" I do write "cokes." LOL!

That's what my family always said too. My grandmother used to ask us if we wanted a coke and then when we said yes, she'd ask what kind. :D And I never, ever say "pop" either.

In the crew shop/mart there were a number of things available to them (at a cost) on Voyager of the Seas in March 2013. One of them was Dr Pepper by the can. Could the crew be offering their own supplies to please the guests? Who knows...

On the same VotS cruise there seemed to be a minor supply problem with the fountain sodas. Example, Coca Cola was being poured from 2L bottles at the Cafe Promenade and Diet Coke was being poured from cans in Cleopatra's Needle and also the Champagne Bar. However I think the missing container or two which didn't make it in time for the Fremantle (Perth) Australia sailaway (one of which contained the necessary gas for the fountain soda system) had something to do with this! :)

Uh. No, they are not. Dr Pepper did not spend 10 years in Doctor school for nothing. :p

Archived