TRIUMPH breaks free from dock in Mobile, AL

mibond007

I don't know why this surprised me but right after the live feed of the ship and a reporter talking about the people in the guard shack going into the water there was a comercial for the evening news saying crew members went overboard! :mad: Come on, they just reported that they had no reports of injuries to anyone on the ship.

Article on Consumerist:

Carnival Poop Cruise Ship Breaks Free, Rips Hole In Side

If you thought the horror show was over for the Carnival Triumph, better known as the ship involved in the infamous “Poop Cruise” from earlier this year, you’d be wrong. Earlier today, Triumph apparently broke loose from its mooring and went drifting along the river.

WKRG in Alabama reports that the ship, which had been docked in Mobile since being towed back to port in February, came loose from the port where it had been undergoing repairs and began floating aimlessly with the current.

The incident resulted in some damage, most notably a new hole in the side of the ship.

“Due to strong winds in Mobile, Ala., Carnival Triumph, which was docked at a Mobile shipyard, broke away from its moorings,” Carnival said in a statement to NBC News. “The ship drifted and is currently resting against a cargo vessel. Tug boats and the U.S. Coast Guard are on site.”

NBC also reports that the damage to the side of the Triumph was caused by a collision with an Army Corps of Engineers boat, and that when the ship pulled away from dock, it led to the collapse of a nearby guard shack, with at least one person taken to the hospital and another reportedly being searched for.

The ship is cursed. Just sink it.

FYI who is responsible? depends on a number of things. Normally the cruise line retains responsibility unless it turned the ship over to the dockyard. It will depend on the contract. NCL's Pride of America sank at its fitting out dock in Germany before it was turned over(also the result of a storm). Since the ship hadn't been turned over to the cruise line, it was the dockyards responsibility...and it put into Bankruptcy the dockyard company.

Hausers should be doubled or tripled up during a storm. If the Triumph's captain was still aboard, it is probably his responsibility...the US's NTSB will probably investigate as it happened in a US Harbor.

Ya! Darn CNN was not on top of this story soon enough. They were wasting time and resourses reporting on frivolous stuff like Nukes in North Korea. :rolleyes:

Obviously the nukes in North Korea were more important, they just seem to enjoy beating the dead horse that is CCL. :cool:

What? :confused:

What's your thinking on how such a braking system would work?

...but I thought ships ran on wheels touching the ocean floor? ;)

Seriously though not good news for Triumph/Carnival. I hope everyone is okay and they find the missing person (in the guard shack, not from the ship). Wonder if any damage was done below water line that we can't see.

Who did Carnival piss off? It's just keeps getting worse and worse.. I can here it now~ " Worried about Carnival cruise safety..They can't even tie up the ships correctly"

I don't even know how to defend it anymore..:confused:

Why should you defend 'Carnival' from this? :rolleyes:

Great, more cancelled cruises. At least nobody can blame this on Carnival. BAE's going to be stroking a pretty big check for that...

Apparently you haven't read some of the posts above yours.

That's exactly who they're blaming. smh

God dam Cheers Program

LOL.....

Made all the rampant jumping to conclusions in this thread worth it.

Knew when I read this on my newsreader I'd come in here with people freaking out as usual.

Bill

Sensitive much guys? Where has anyone not on CC blamed this on Carnival? Sorry some feel they are having to constantly defend "their" cruise line. Its a company people, not your infant child being mocked on the playground. Like it or not, right or wrong, this will continue to color many people's opinion of Carnival and cruising in general.

No one said it was Carnival's fault, just seems to be a continuation of the lousy luck that has fallen upon their ships lately. I like celticd1's explanation: they renamed one of their ships. ;)

Posts #5 & 8, for starters. haven't read them all.

Archived