Which ruins?

Kesstral

I made the mistake of showing my hubby pictures of the Allure so now we're doing a Western Carribean cruise in October. We're making a big deal out of this trip as we are from Vancouver, BC and I HATE flying so need to make sure it's worth the flights/anti-anxiety meds (spending a week pre-cruise in Orlando to visit Disneyworld, Universal and Kennedy Space Center).

So my second mistake was mentioning to my husband that there were tours in Cozumel to go to various Mayan ruins. Since we have no intention of taking any land-based vacations to Mexico this might be our only oppourtunity to visit something like this. Chichen Itza is my husband's first pick so far since it was named one of the new seven wonders of the world.

All of these are listed as ship sponsored excursions (would never do this as a private tour) and we know that it would be a ferry and long bus ride to the mainland (so probably going to relax on the beaches at our other two ports). Does anyone have any suggestions about the various excursions or comments from experience? Would Chichen Itza be a dissapointment compared to the others, etc?

Tulum Mayan Ruins Express - 6 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

Tulum Ruins & Beach Break - 8 hour(s)

Coba Ruins - The Mystery of the Mayan Civilization - 8 hour(s)

Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - 10 hour(s) 15 minute(s)

EK Balam Mayan Ruins and Colonial Valladolid - 10 hour(s)

Thanks!!

Chichen Itza is the most awesome and beautiful, but longest ride. It didn't become a world wonder by being just OK.

Tulum is the closest and right on the ocean. Lots of people like Tulum. Very open and sunny, but nice beach to cool off and great ocean views.

Coba distance is in between the other two. Deep in the jungle, lots of walking. Only about 1/3 of it is even excavated yet....but it's pretty authentic vs. the tourist aspect of the other two. Coba also has the tallest pyramid on the Yucatan Peninsula (I beleive this fact is true) and you can still climb it for gorgeous views from the top of the jungle!

You will have to take a ferry over to Cancun or Playa de Carmen to get to the ruins. The ones listed by previous poster are closest but I would say Chitzen Itza is probably out because it is quite a long drive from Cancun and that's after you get over there on the ferry. Most tours leave in the morning from Cancun. You would have NO time at the ruins and possibly not make it back if you go to Chitzen.

Tulum will be closest - still have to take the ferry, but not that far from there and you can get a cab to take you there.

I've been to Chichen Itza & Tulum. Chichen Itza will be much more spectacular. Tulum is closer, and nice, but much smaller.

I would definitely do the cruise line excursion, so as to not be left behind.

You would have NO time at the ruins and possibly not make it back if you go to Chitzen.

I've been to Chichen Itza & Tulum. Chichen Itza will be much more spectacular. Tulum is closer, and nice, but much smaller.

I would definitely do the cruise line excursion, so as to not be left behind.

All the tours listed are through the cruise line, I wouldn't risk travelling to something that far away otherwise.

Thanks for the replies on the different locations :)

I visited Chichen Itza years ago during a land vacation in Cancun. It was spectacular and one of my personal favorite places I have ever visited. When I went you could still climb the main pyramid but that is a very small part of the visit. The place is huge and very interesting. It was crowded but not really a problem.

I went to Tulum in November while on the Carnival Legend. We did a shore excursion with the ship. It was a very nice place to visit but it does not compare to Chichen Itza. I went down a steep staircase (my Mom did not want to tackle it and waited up top in the shade) to the beach for a bit and it was a beautiful beach but that would not sway me over Chichen Itza. If you go to Tulum do the one with the beach break so you have more time, even if you do not go down to the beach.

I would never take such an excursion without the ship, so I agree with your choice to use the ship excursion. Our excursion to Tulum ran right on schedule as far as I could tell and our ferry was the last to board the ship.

I don't think the question is whether Chichen Itza will disappoint compared to the others, it is will the others disappoint compared to Chichen Itza.

Would Chichen Itza be a dissapointment compared to the others, etc?

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

We were looking at just the same thing. Are you on RC? We're July 20th-27th. I'm leaning towards Balam because it sounds like its near Chichen Itza but not as busy. Or Coba because I keep reading that the view of the ocean is gorgeous, the trip is shorter, it's less busy and its shady. I haven't found much info on Balam. I'm curious to find someone who has been!

We were looking at just the same thing. Are you on RC? We're July 20th-27th. I'm leaning towards Balam because it sounds like its near Chichen Itza but not as busy. Or Coba because I keep reading that the view of the ocean is gorgeous, the trip is shorter, it's less busy and its shady. I haven't found much info on Balam. I'm curious to find someone who has been!

Coba isn't on the ocean, do you mean Muyil? which is south ofTulum, smaller and much less crowded since no tour companies or guides are there? Coba is on the way to Chichen Itza from Playa del Carmen so could be a shorter trip, by at least 3 hours. Very nice ruins.

Well, the ruins you probably have seen photos of, with the tower next to the ocean, is Tulum.

http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/aug2002.html

We have been to both EkBalam and Chitchen Itza, as well as Coba. They are quite different. I liked EkBalam for the opportunity to climb the pyramid, the amazing view out over the jungle from the level where the impressive sculptures are, its managable size, lack of tourists, and the rural setting. Chitchen Itza has perhaps more impressive structures and a larger site, but also tons of vendors and hordes of tourists.

If you are in the area of those two, and have time, the nearby town of Valladolid is quite charming.

Coba has another atmosphere altogether, a work in progress (or in ruin), with paths to bicycle or be pedaled along among the trees.

I find videos on YouTube to give quite a good idea of many worldwide locations, including all the ruins mentioned.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I've been to all these sites. Coba was my favorite. It's very extensive yet not crowded, and you really feel the presence of a huge vanished civilization. And you can still climb a very high pyramid to view the incredible height. So for a (slightly) shorter travel time, I would recommend Coba over Tulum. Tulum is a beautiful site, but the ruins are less impressive and evocative.

However, Chichen Itza is just the Mac Daddy of Yucatan ruins. I think your husband might be diasappointed in any other site. There's a reason it's listed as a wonder.

Too bad the cruise line doesn't combine Chichen & Ek Balam, since they are so close. That would be the best of both worlds, since Ek Balam has some of the mystique and accessibility of Coba. But I agree with your decision to stick with cruise line offerings for such a long travel day.

All things considered, I would recommend Chichen.

2.5 hours drive plus 45 minutes on the ferry each way ....

Tulum is 1 hour plus ferry ... that was PLENTY long for me! But I've seen other ruins sites too so if it is a 'bucket list' .... but that's a long time driving . . .

btw - I pulled up your cruise on the RCL site and checked excursions and did not see one to Chichen Itza ...... the others, yes. You may want to double check . . .

• 4 months later...

kcmich44,

Thanks so much for watching my wife's slideshow. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

We have not visited Altun in Belize. We went to Lamanai which DW and I both enjoyed seeing.

It's really hard to recommend one site over another. As you know from watching the slideshows about Lamanai and Tulum, they are unique in their own special ways.

In my opinion, Tulum was more impressive because of its location.

Lamanai in Belize is very interesting. Again a long day. Bus for about 1 hour to take small boat for about an hour on the river to get to the site. It is in the jungle and less excavated than other ruins. Well worth your time.

Tulum is on the sea shore it is lovely but much smaller than other sites.

Chichen Itza is amazing. First time I visited we flew in. WOW! 2nd time was by bus, a long ride, but this site the one you see in all of the commercials. If you only do one Mayan site, do this one.

Haven't been to Altun Ha or Coba but will this coming February. Can't wait!

I made the mistake of showing my hubby pictures of the Allure so now we're doing a Western Carribean cruise in October. We're making a big deal out of this trip as we are from Vancouver, BC and I HATE flying so need to make sure it's worth the flights/anti-anxiety meds (spending a week pre-cruise in Orlando to visit Disneyworld, Universal and Kennedy Space Center).

So my second mistake was mentioning to my husband that there were tours in Cozumel to go to various Mayan ruins. Since we have no intention of taking any land-based vacations to Mexico this might be our only oppourtunity to visit something like this. Chichen Itza is my husband's first pick so far since it was named one of the new seven wonders of the world.

All of these are listed as ship sponsored excursions (would never do this as a private tour) and we know that it would be a ferry and long bus ride to the mainland (so probably going to relax on the beaches at our other two ports). Does anyone have any suggestions about the various excursions or comments from experience? Would Chichen Itza be a dissapointment compared to the others, etc?

Thanks!!

OP,

It appears you have already completed your cruise in October, but your questions continue to generate suggestions. Which excursions did you choose?

Edited by JimAOk1945