Can't decide what to do in Juneau

Heather_K

This is our first trip to Alaska and we will be in Juneau in May (in port from 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm)

I am trying to decide what to see while we are there... I would really like to go over to the Mendenhall glacier, but would also like to hike the Mt Roberts trail up to the top and take the tram back down.

I don't really feel like rushing but could we possibly have time for both?

Which would you choose if you would have to decide between the 2? Is one of them preferable over the other at that time of year?

Thanks for any help!! :)

I think the time you spend at both could really vary depending on how much time you take ... That is both have plenty of opportunities to hike -- for 30 minutes or for hours --- so you can definitely do both - oh and don't forget about weather ... Rain could put a crimp in your plans too

Rachel

Who is going whale watching & visiting mendenhall in Juneau

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully a local or someone who knows more will respond because I'm not certain but I **think** there may be issues with the trail up Mt Roberts in May. I think I read something like that -- either snow or lots o' mud. Like I said, hopefully someone who actually KNOWS will come into this thread :)

Hopefully a local or someone who knows more will respond because I'm not certain but I **think** there may be issues with the trail up Mt Roberts in May. I think I read something like that -- either snow or lots o' mud. Like I said, hopefully someone who actually KNOWS will come into this thread :)

We did the tram in May last year and the trails up at the top were closed due to snow. It was quite wet/muddy also.

2vlld9v.jpg

And it was extremely foggy by the time we were going back down the mountain.

vrv5ae.jpg

This is our first trip to Alaska and we will be in Juneau in May (in port from 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm)

I am trying to decide what to see while we are there... I would really like to go over to the Mendenhall glacier, but would also like to hike the Mt Roberts trail up to the top and take the tram back down.

I don't really feel like rushing but could we possibly have time for both?

Which would you choose if you would have to decide between the 2? Is one of them preferable over the other at that time of year?

Thanks for any help!! :)

Your Mt.Roberts idea isn't going to fly. The trail will be closed. and dangerous.

Oh, Ok! I didn't even consider that due to how early in the season it is, that wouldn't be an option.

Looks like we will be at the Mendenhall Glacier! That made that decison easy. LOL

Thanks everyone! :)

Oh, Ok! I didn't even consider that due to how early in the season it is, that wouldn't be an option.

Looks like we will be at the Mendenhall Glacier! That made that decison easy. LOL

Thanks everyone! :)

probably the East Loop trail there, too will not be open, or at least less than idea conditions, since it's a steep switchback and stairs. And overall tree covered.

Archived