Gratuities

Alecs Gram

Gratuities on board:

Some people choose to pre-pay the gratuities at the time they make final payment.

If you choose Select Dining, you must do it this way. If you choose Traditional, it's an option for you.

Otherwise, the daily gratuity will be added to your SeaPass account, which you can view on your tv.

This amount covers your stateroom attendants, and the dining room staff, as well as some "behind the scenes" staff.

That's all you need to do, but if you find that someone has given you exceptional service, a cash tip on top of that is always appreciated.

The amount varies depending on your stateroom category -- suites and Concierge Class and Aqua Class pay a slightly higher amount in gratuity.

Beverages and spa services and hair salon services will have a 15% tip automatically added to the price of the beverage or the service.

There is an exception to the beverage tip -- on sailings from Southampton, the price of the beverage is increased by 15% instead of having a separate 15% tip added on the slip you sign.

------------

Here's the Celebrity website FAQ on the subject:

How are gratuities handled onboard?

For your convenience, Celebrity Cruises can add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Celebrity SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day

Waiter $3.65

Assistant Waiter $2.10

Dining Room Management $1.00

Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only) $3.50

Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.25

Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge that will be automatically added to the bill. Additional gratuities may be added to the bill at your discretion.

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crewmembers depending on the particular service requirement.

------------------

As to excursions, many, but not all, passengers give the guide and the driver a cash tip.

• 2 weeks later...
I have booked Select Dining but want to tip as I go. Am I able to remove the tips from my bill and do this?

No, but you can give some extra money to anybody who went above and beyond and made your cruise special.

I have booked Select Dining but want to tip as I go. Am I able to remove the tips from my bill and do this?

No...if you choose select dining you are required to pay gratuities in full with your final payment.

They would refuse to take off the bill??? Are they allowed to do that?

Yes & Yes. Think of it as a service charge, not the type of "tip" you are used to. It is essentially how the service staff (and some behind the scenes personnel) receive their pay. You are free to give extra money to anybody you felt did a nice job (the type of tip you are likely accustomed to).

Trust me, they work so hard to please you that you'll have no problem paying the tips. It's a small amount and it will likely be far better service than you receive on land. I've never not felt the need to give them some extra because they've always exceeded expectations.

Trust me, they work so hard to please you that you'll have no problem paying the tips. It's a small amount and it will likely be far better service than you receive on land. I've never not felt the need to give them some extra because they've always exceeded expectations.

I concur.

They would refuse to take off the bill??? Are they allowed to do that?

Well, to be exact, yes you can insist Celebrity take the gratuity off your prepaid bill...you can have them remove that charge you seem to hate so much by cancelling the cruise. Then you don't have to get so angry paying a gratuity, and not take the cruise.

That'll really show them....as they get someone else to replace you. Your choice.

Den

Archived