Cruises beginning in Barcelona

We are travelling on NCL Epic staying within the EU and it states on their FAQ's about the Spanish Vat

Please note that in order to comply with Spanish tax regulations we are required to charge Spanish VAT on applicable items purchased on board on cruises from/to Barcelona as well as on all cruises whilst the ship is in Spanish waters. Applicable items are, amongst others, alcoholic beverages, items from the minibar, retail items and cover charges in our speciality restaurants.

So I am trying to pre-pay as much as possible but the biggest cost is the Ultimate Bevarage Package this now adds up to the cost of the package + 23% will have to see if this can be pre-payed though from the information I have gathered uptill now I am not very hopeful

Damon

I know people are Pre-paying the Carnival vineyards packages to avoid paying the gratuity they charge when you buy onboard but I'd consider a package if I can avoid paying the VAT charges by prepaying.

I have no problem paying the gratuities both for staff and barstaff but I think its abit of a money grab by the Spanish authorities to charge this VAT outside of their national waters

Though perfectly legal for them to charge this VAT it still does not sit right with me:mad:

Damon

This was my response from Carnival:

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

While docked in Barcelona and in Spanish waters (within 12 miles of the coast), bar sales are subject to an applicable VAT tax of 10% which will be charged on the guest's Sail & Sign card. VAT taxes will not be charged at any time we are not docked in Spanish waters.

We can't wait to welcome you onboard!

And I mentioned everything about Croatia becoming part of the EU etc I guess I'll expect to pay it at this point the entire cruise. I also noticed it was forwarded throughout the departments until it reached upper management.

• 3 months later...
I have no problem paying the gratuities both for staff and barstaff but I think its abit of a money grab by the Spanish authorities to charge this VAT outside of their national waters

Though perfectly legal for them to charge this VAT it still does not sit right with me:mad:

Damon

They apparently also charge and retain this VAT when the ship is in the national waters of another EU country like France, Italy, etc. How's that for a "money grab." Sorry to inject politics, but I guess Spain has to do this to provide cradle to grave social services for its residents.

Archived