Cruises beginning in Barcelona

I am aware that in Spanish ports there is an an extra approx. 8% tax on purchases onboard within Spanish waters.

I was told by a fellow passenger that for cruises beginning at Barcelona (and possibly any spanish port) this tax applies for the whole cruise.:eek::eek:

Can anyone confirm this, please? Surely this makes a big difference to the overall cost of the cruise!

Mumsy.

I am aware that in Spanish ports there is an an extra approx. 8% tax on purchases onboard within Spanish waters.

I was told by a fellow passenger that for cruises beginning at Barcelona (and possibly any spanish port) this tax applies for the whole cruise.:eek::eek:

Can anyone confirm this, please? Surely this makes a big difference to the overall cost of the cruise!

Mumsy.

When we sailed from Barcelona in October 2011 there was 8% on top of the 15% gratuity on drinks for the entire cruise. It was a Spanish tax and nothing to do with the cruise company or port. Apparently the 8% is not added if the ship visits at least one non EU port on the itinerary. Yes, it certainly made a difference to our drinks bill and we have made sure that on our next sailing out of Barcelona, the ships calls at non EU countres. However, that was the situation in 2011 - don't know if it has changed.

Interesting, we have sailed out of Barcelona many times and never had to pay this tax but I am pretty certain we have also visited at least one non EU port. I'll have to watch this on our Prinsendam sailing as we stay in the EU for that one.

I'm interested in this as Croatia is a "non-EU" country at this time but as of 7/1 is supposed to join the EU. I've also read it applies to duty-free purchases??

They are joining the EU on that date, but they won't adopt the euro right away. Doesn't mean that various merchants might not accept euros, each country is different in that respect.

They are joining the EU on that date, but they won't adopt the euro right away. Doesn't mean that various merchants might not accept euros, each country is different in that respect.

I'm asking about whether or not this means we'll be subjected to an entire cruise of 8% vAt leaving Barcelona.

First up please do not confuse the EU (which is a group of countries) with the Euro (which is a currency). There are countries within the EU that do not have the Euro as their currency.

Next, especially for those in the U.S. (or have cruised from U.S. ports); you remember that first drink you ordered on embarkation day, while the ship was still in the port? Well, that drink had your Sales Tax added to it. (isn't it 6% in Florida?). When the ship sailed and reached international waters, the sales tax was no longer charged. Well, the tax charged from Barcelona is much the same sales tax. I beleive that because a Med cruise visits so many ports in different countries (and therefore different tax regimes) that one tax is charged depending on the port of departure. In the Med you never actually reach 'International Waters', and each country claims jurisdiction to the part of the Med off its coastline. Now on a Med cruise you could visit (or pass within the waters of) Spain, Italy, France. Portugal, etc. If each countries sales tax was to be charged depending on which part of the Med you were in it would become a accounting nightmare (and acccountants don't do nightmares - unless of course, they did one last year :D). If the countries you visit are all within the EU then you will be liable to the tax. If you visit a non-EU country then the tax will not be payable.

Croatia will become the 28th EU member country on July 1st and the tax will be liable on cruises visiting Croatia from then. Better make sure Montenegro is in the itinerary!

This is my understanding of the situation, if someone has full information then I bow in the presence of their greater knowledge.:cool:

With the many responses received so far I'm still none the wiser. Our cruise 2 years ago left Barcelona and headed for Italy, then onto Greece, Turykey (nonEU) before heading back to Barcelona. As far as i'm aware we only incurred the extra tax charge whilst we were in Spanish waters.

This year we are leaving Barcelona for Italy, France and back to BCN - i.e. all EU. So am i to expect a much larger bar bill, picking up the extra VAT charge for the whole cruise.

Someone who has recently returned from a Med cruise - please fill us in with the facts !:confused:

Thanks

Fig

We sailed on Serenade of the Seas in Jan. 2013 out of Barcelona. We orginally were scheduled to go to Tunisia. It was cancelled because of unrest. We went to Palma de Mallorca instead. Since we did not travel to any countries outside the EU we were charged the extra tax. Most cruiselines try to schedule some outside EU ports to avoid the extra charges. Your cruiseline should be able to answer your questions regarding extra tax associated with your cruise. RCCL left a note in our room regarding the tax increase.

We sailed on Serenade of the Seas in Jan. 2013 out of Barcelona. We orginally were scheduled to go to Tunisia. It was cancelled because of unrest. We went to Palma de Mallorca instead. Since we did not travel to any countries outside the EU we were charged the extra tax. Most cruiselines try to schedule some outside EU ports to avoid the extra charges. Your cruiseline should be able to answer your questions regarding extra tax associated with your cruise. RCCL left a note in our room regarding the tax increase.

Just as I feared but at least I now know to make sure there are non EU ports on the itinerary.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Mumsy.

Well, since Croatia will become part of the EU, then it is evident that the sailing will have the tax the entire time. It also means I will limit my on board purchases on gift shop/alcohol (I don't really collect souvenirs anyways) but I would have never booked from Barcelona had I known this would happen.

Thanks for the update.

Mumsy.

The tax is for purchases made "onboard" the ship. You pay for the cruise before you sail so there is no tax owed on the cruise itself unless of course you book the cruise in Spain or somewhere else in the EU.

The tax is for purchases made "onboard" the ship. You pay for the cruise before you sail so there is no tax owed on the cruise itself unless of course you book the cruise in Spain or somewhere else in the EU.

Yes, I was talking about on board purchases for the entire cruise and NOT the cruise fare itself.

Mumsy.

When we sailed from Barcelona in October 2011 there was 8% on top of the 15% gratuity on drinks for the entire cruise. It was a Spanish tax and nothing to do with the cruise company or port. Apparently the 8% is not added if the ship visits at least one non EU port on the itinerary. Yes, it certainly made a difference to our drinks bill and we have made sure that on our next sailing out of Barcelona, the ships calls at non EU countres. However, that was the situation in 2011 - don't know if it has changed.

Our experience on two different lines (Disney and RCI) is as above.

Cruises leaving from Spain and NOT having any ports outside of the EU charge this tax throughout.

Those leaving from Spain which visit a port outside of the EU, are not charged the tax except while actually IN port in Spain.

Cruises which have only EU ports, but embark from anywhere that is not Spain do not have this tax added.

The shops on RCI nearly always put a sign up that they will pay your VAT tax and then the prices do not go up. Disney has not done this on our experience.

Will the VAT be charged on TA cruises that originate in Barcelona. We're thinking about a 16 day TA from Barcelona to NOLA in NOvember.

Because our cruise terminates in the USA, might the reason I was told the tax does not apply to pour cruise.....

The USA would be a non EU port--thus no extra tax :)

I inquired from my cruiseline if they'd put a tax on service gratuities too. I'm prepaying mine but I'd be livid if I was charged tax on service gratuities and not informed.

Hi there

I see you are travelling the Med in August/September by that time Croatia will be a member of the EU

and according to Spanish tax law you will be required to pay the 8% on all purchases on the ship

This would not effect anything you have pre-payed like gratuities or soda packages

It might be worth a call to Carnival to find out if 8% will be added to your on board spend

Damon

Hi there

I see you are travelling the Med in August/September by that time Croatia will be a member of the EU

and according to Spanish tax law you will be required to pay the 8% on all purchases on the ship

This would not effect anything you have pre-payed like gratuities or soda packages

It might be worth a call to Carnival to find out if 8% will be added to your on board spend

Damon

I already figure it will and am a little perturbed the cruise line never mentioned this when booking because they know this stuff. I just figure my purchases on board just won't happen. I normally spend less than $40 on an eight day itinerary for alcohol. I contacted carnival a week ago and no response on it.

I've contacted Celebrity as well...waiting for a response. Let me know what you hear back from Carnival (I'll do the same for Celeb). I have an upcoming cruise with them out of Barcelona, but we visit Turkey so it doesn't look like all shipboard purchases will be subjected to the VAT (which I think is 10% now), but I plan on buying on spending a hundreds of dollars first thing when I get on board (specialty rest, drink package, internet package etc) and a VAT even while in port will be noteable.

Of note in 2011 on a FL sailing with Celeb I purchased a beverage package while in port and did not pay any sales. I do recall the bar tender writing down my info and I believe he inputted the charges later that evening once we had cleared the FL coast to avoid any sales tax issues.

Archived