Tipping on Excursions -- WWYD?

We are doing a ship-run excursion on one of the islands -- a sailing trip -- it's been prepaid through RCL. Is there generally a request for tips at the end? (I don't have a problem with tipping -- I just want to make sure I have cash on hand since I generally don't bring any with me)

We're doing a private island tour in one of the other ports ... since it's a small operation, I figure we should tip there... I just wasn't sure about the larger excursions (my gut says yes... just curious what others have done)

For us, it doesn't really matter if the shore excursion is through RCI or if it's a private excursion we found and arranged on our own.

What usually happens for us is large group = smaller tip, but a private or smaller group = larger tip. I guess the thinking is that with a large group, you get less individual attention, for instance say in a snorkel trip with 50 other people. If you do a private tour of the island and have the guide with you alone the entire time, we feel compelled to give a larger tip.

The amount of the tip for us depends on the cost of the excursion.

We've always given a tip. If the tour is a full bus and the tour is just normal we usually give $5 per couple. But if we book privately (less than say about 10 people) the tip is in the $40 range.

It varies so much!

Sherry

We always tip; most excursions they will even mention it- especially if its a large one, to tell you if there is a tip bucket or what not. I agree that those large ones, a dollar or two pp into the communal pool is fine, if its a small group or private, we try to do more like 10-20 depending how long and involved the tour is. If you spend significant time being driven, don't forget the driver too!

The only caveat- best to check where your tour is- some countries do not accept/appreciate tipping.

Awesome! Thank you all... that's just what I was thinking. I know that these islands aren't "rich" in money, but from what I've heard about the activities we've booked, these are people who are rich in personality and knowledge about the culture and history of their island. I'm glad I'll be well prepared!

We are doing a ship-run excursion on one of the islands -- a sailing trip -- it's been prepaid through RCL. Is there generally a request for tips at the end? (I don't have a problem with tipping -- I just want to make sure I have cash on hand since I generally don't bring any with me)

We're doing a private island tour in one of the other ports ... since it's a small operation, I figure we should tip there... I just wasn't sure about the larger excursions (my gut says yes... just curious what others have done)

Listen to your gut. :)

You will feel most prepared if you travel with several bills of varying amounts. I agree with Merion Mom - go with your gut!

I've seen it all...people tipping and people not. When we are with our kids, we usually have them hand the money over. I believe in training them young!

This is really a good question to keep in mind when booking a tour. I was caught without really having enough small bills with me on a tour we booked through the ship in Falmouth. We did a combination tour that included Dunn's River Falls and Green Grotto Caves. Well...there was a tour bus driver, as well as a tour guide with us on the bus, then another guide that took us up the falls and a guide who took us through the caves. So, on this one excursion, there were four different people who were somewhat expected to be "shown appreciation" by the tourists. I hadn't really anticipated and prepared for that.

I come from a different background so I don't tip on excursions. I expect the wages to be paid from the cost of the excursion. Where I come from that's how it's done.

Are the tour guides poorly paid like USA waitresses and bartenders?

I come from a different background so I don't tip on excursions. I expect the wages to be paid from the cost of the excursion. Where I come from that's how it's done.

Are the tour guides poorly paid like USA waitresses and bartenders?

They are in the Caribbean and Mexico, etc. I am not sure about Italy, Greece, etc. though..:confused:

According to Tripadvisor and Emily Post you should tip your tour guide 15-20% of the ticket price for the tour. A lot of people tip way less if it is a large coach bus and that's too bad. When I take 20 people on a minibus tour of Niagara Falls I receive about $8 per person. (In that case I am both driver and guide.). When I work as a step on guide on a coach bus with 45 people, I receive an average of $2 per person and I have to share that tip with the driver. As with a restaurant meal, your tip should be based on the tour/meal price, and the quality of the service, not the number of people on the tour/in the restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

They are in the Caribbean and Mexico, etc. I am not sure about Italy, Greece, etc. though..:confused:

As a tour guide/driver in Niagara Falls I am paid less than minimum wage by my employer. It is expected that your tips will make it worthwhile. By the way, it usually is, that's why I've been doing it for 12 years.

Our guidelines are five dollars per couple for half day or less. Ten dollars for more than half day tour. More if extraordinary service.

ditto!

We usually bring along 150 dollars in small bills to use for tipping the airport shuttle bus drivers, red caps at the airports, bell boys at the hotel and the tour folks.

QUOTE=silygirl77

We tip $5 - $20 according to the length of the excursion and according to how well the guide/leader did.

--------------------------------------------------------

Exactly! That's what we do too.

LuLu

~~~~

According to Tripadvisor and Emily Post you should tip your tour guide 15-20% of the ticket price for the tour. A lot of people tip way less if it is a large coach bus and that's too bad. When I take 20 people on a minibus tour of Niagara Falls I receive about $8 per person. (In that case I am both driver and guide.). When I work as a step on guide on a coach bus with 45 people, I receive an average of $2 per person and I have to share that tip with the driver. As with a restaurant meal, your tip should be based on the tour/meal price, and the quality of the service, not the number of people on the tour/in the restaurant.

Ya, that's the way I usually base my tips is on 20% of the cost of the service. But now I'm reading that cruise lines are not based that way? I asked the other day, what amount of my cruise ticket price should I base my 20% on and received very few answers. The answers I did receive said that there is a tip guide you use for cruises that does not go by cost, but by service and per person, per day tip rates.

Wow.....and we wonder why tipping threads get so heated. Seems tipping should always be based on service and the cost. (good service gets atleast 20% of the cost)

I am new at this, and I am going to try and tip people as I see fit. That's hard to do when the cruise line automatically deducts for some, but not all.

I realize that we are talking shore excursions here, but it is very confusing. I take the time to try and be fair....I can see where alot of people would not take the time to try and figure it out and some are left short changed.

I will tip for my shore excursions based on cost and time/service rendered.

Sure they all ask for tips, don't be shocked.

I have learned to carry lots of 1s, 5s and 10s US.

Sometimes there are 2 guides on the bus. One may talk about history

and the other may be your guide for a Mayan site. And the bus driver.

On my recent Altun Ha / River Wallace tour in Belize we had

5 guides between the bus, ruins tour and the boat ride back to

Belize City.

So previous post was spot on...bring small bills.

Have fun.

:D

No doubt.

Open your mind, you're NOT where you come from but in a very DIFFERENT place, so in effect you're just stiffing the guides while cloaking yourself in self-righteousness.

Have you never heard the expression "When in Rome . . . . " ?

No doubt.

Open your mind, you're NOT where you come from but in a very DIFFERENT place, so in effect you're just stiffing the guides while cloaking yourself in self-righteousness.

Have you never heard the expression "When in Rome . . . . " ?

Agreed - I also come from a non-tipping culture but the ticket price on everything is much higher than what it is in the US or Caribbean. I accept that the ticket price is not the full amount I will be paying.

Even once we tip I still find things to be very good value compared to at home ( things includes excursions, meals, clothes, electronics...the list is endless!)

Sure they all ask for tips, don't be shocked.

I have learned to carry lots of 1s, 5s and 10s US.

Sometimes there are 2 guides on the bus. One may talk about history

and the other may be your guide for a Mayan site. And the bus driver.

On my recent Altun Ha / River Wallace tour in Belize we had

5 guides between the bus, ruins tour and the boat ride back to

Belize City.

:D

Based on how we work in Niagara Falls, I would tip the one lead person the 15-20% and then say something like, "be sure to share this with the others." The coach bus drivers get paid a real living wage, about four times as much as the guides. When I work as a step-on guide I split the tips 50/50 on the first $50 ($25 each) then, depending on his service, I'll give the driver between 10% and 20% of anything over $50. I do all of the interaction with the customers, I introduce the driver but he doesn't do a separate tip talk, and I receive all the tips as the customers depart the bus. On a typical 5-6 hour coach tour the driver will be paid $100 hourly pay plus $30 in tips, I'll get $40 flat per tour pay from the company plus $50 in tips.

We will be in Italy, Greece and Turkey in a few weeks. Our tours are around $400+ each. I know in Italy they don't tip like we do in the states, they round up the amount and leave the change. They are paid higher wages than they would be in the US. I am really not sure how to tip them on our excursions. We are normally very generous with our tips but have seen others leave very small or no tips at all on group tours. All of our tours will be private on this trip.

Archived