Not the usual tourist sites

puggylicious

Wow...Great question!

One of my most favorite "out of the way" stops in Bermuda is Spittal Pond Nature Reserve. It's located on the South Road and it's absolutely fantastic. Volcanic rock formations overlook one of the most secluded spots on the island. From there you can watch Bermuda Long Tails who nest in the rocks and watch the surf crash on the rocks for hours. Take a walk up to this spot and you'll feel like you have the entire island to yourself! :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxjHjZMVLt-gwbVT5-d9qy4vakfWhmGrdMEuGpcdp5NlsZ2A_KXA

Wow...Great question!

One of my most favorite "out of the way" stops in Bermuda is Spittal Pond Nature Reserve. It's located on the South Road and it's absolutely fantastic. Volcanic rock formations overlook one of the most secluded spots on the island. From there you can watch Bermuda Long Tails who nest in the rocks and watch the surf crash on the rocks for hours. Take a walk up to this spot and you'll feel like you have the entire island to yourself! :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxjHjZMVLt-gwbVT5-d9qy4vakfWhmGrdMEuGpcdp5NlsZ2A_KXA

How much time to allot for visiting Spittal Pond?

Thanks!

I usually allow a couple of hours. There's a bird aviary and several trails worth exploring. My favorite part is to climb the volcanic rocks (carefully or you'll get quick a bruise if you slip!) and watch the ocean and birds. Climb is pretty easy for most folks.

I usually allow a couple of hours. There's a bird aviary and several trails worth exploring. My favorite part is to climb the volcanic rocks (carefully or you'll get quick a bruise if you slip!) and watch the ocean and birds. Climb is pretty easy for most folks.

I haven't heard about the aviary! Where is it? We are thinking about visiting next month

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our bermuda trip. Our first day in port we rented a Boston whaler from Somerset Bridge Watersports. What a fabulous day. My husband and I have no boating experience and often joke that we couldn't get around the block without a GPS. Even so we had no trouble using the boat and following the map Somerset gave us. We beached the boat a few times and layed on tiny little beaches. We view beautful scenery, fed fish, and finally just dropped the anchor and floated in the amazing blue waters.

Just back from our bermuda trip. Our first day in port we rented a Boston whaler from Somerset Bridge Watersports. What a fabulous day. My husband and I have no boating experience and often joke that we couldn't get around the block without a GPS. Even so we had no trouble using the boat and following the map Somerset gave us. We beached the boat a few times and layed on tiny little beaches. We view beautful scenery, fed fish, and finally just dropped the anchor and floated in the amazing blue waters.

We are doing this in a couple of weeks. Glad to know novices who tried this.

Archived