Not the usual tourist sites

puggylicious

I have had the pleasure of going to Bermuda a few times on previous cruises. And I have gone to the usual tourist spots. Is there anything that is maybe off the beaten path that would be different to see or do? Anyone have any experiences to share?

Certainly our best experience while staying on the island was taking a Boston whaler out and touring the West End. Just a wonderful day where you can go where you like and stop at a beach on a private island for a nice beach picnic.

We used H2O Watersports out of the Cambridge Resort, Somerset Bridge Watersports is also good. You don't need to be an experienced sailor as you can stay right in the bays and still have a great day if you want.

Definitely one of our best excursions, and we've done many!

My DD and I walked a while on the old Railroad trail. Beautiful scenery and we ended up at Fort Scaur on the hill with wonderful view of Bermuda. We went down from the fort onto the main road and were able to catch a bus back to the ship. Very peaceful walk. Take water with you.

I am hoping to do the Boston Whaler this summer. That is something we have never done while in Bermuda.

My DD and I walked a while on the old Railroad trail. Beautiful scenery and we ended up at Fort Scaur on the hill with wonderful view of Bermuda. We went down from the fort onto the main road and were able to catch a bus back to the ship. Very peaceful walk. Take water with you.

I am hoping to do the Boston Whaler this summer. That is something we have never done while in Bermuda.

A walk on the old railroad trail sounds beautiful and peaceful to me. Are there other people around? Did you feel safe?

While touring on our scooter we stopped at Fort Scaur. Beautiful place and, as you said -- has a great view. Took more than a few pictures there.

I have never felt not safe anywhere in Bermuda. The Railroad bed was a beautiful walk. We did pass a few other walkers and some bikers. It is just off the beaten path and very relaxing. I might suggest you pick up a Frommer's Bermuda Guide at your local bookstore. There are lots of suggestions in that book for "off the beaten path" places to visit. It also give great directions on how to find them. We started the Railroad Path near Somerset Bridge and walked it to Fort Scaur. It actually goes the entire lenght of the island but you can pick up parts of it along the way. Also, you get the chance to step over the smallest drawbridge in the world at Somerset Bridge. Just another fun thing to do.

Admiralty House Park; camped out there many, many years ago with Boy Scout Troop (1970’s). Nice lagoon, interesting hiking trails with entry points into old cave system. Not sure what is or isn't accessible anymore, but a nice place to kill some time. Rode by there on moped in the 1990’s, and it hadn’t changed much.

Admiralty House Park; camped out there many, many years ago with Boy Scout Troop (1970’s). Nice lagoon, interesting hiking trails with entry points into old cave system. Not sure what is or isn't accessible anymore, but a nice place to kill some time. Rode by there on moped in the 1990’s, and it hadn’t changed much.

Planning on going there myself. Friends of ours go there every year. They say the snorkeling is good and it is fun to walk through the caves. They suggested bringing a flashlight. Clarence Cove is very near where people dive off the cliffs into the water. Watch your time though because the bus stops running back to Hamilton in the late afternoon.

Another area to consider is Blue Hole Park and Walsingham Reserve. Hidden caves you can swim in and lots of paths to explore.

I don't think they do it anymore, but the best experience we've ever had in Bermuda was that during the month of May, every Wednesday 5 or 6 private homes were open to tour through the Bermuda garden club. Different homes every year and we did the tours 3 separate years. A few of the houses were well out of sight from the road and were just gorgeous!!!!!! We were there last year and I emailed the Bermuda Garden club prior and never got a response and I inquired at the tourist information office and they knew nothing about it. Too bad...... as the homes and gardens were lovely and it provided an opportunity to see several private Bermuda homes. Maybe they took a hiatus for a few years and have started again. We'll find out, as we're going on the "Summit" next month.

Regarding my above post...frequently Bermudians visit this board and offer a wealth of up to date information. If any Bermudian sees this and knows anything about the Garden Club house tours, would you please post...or if there is a link with info, post that?

Did you walk to the railroad trail from dockyard or take a bus to the beginning?

I have had the pleasure of going to Bermuda a few times on previous cruises. And I have gone to the usual tourist spots. Is there anything that is maybe off the beaten path that would be different to see or do? Anyone have any experiences to share?

We decided that we would like to see the areas of Bermuda that we hadn't seen in the 6 other times we cruised to Bermuda. We contacted GAR tours and arranged to have George meet us at the ship with our 8 other friends the first day when we arrived. He had planned a tour with me of various stops, as often or for our convenience , and told us a lot of history and local lore. 2 of our couples had never been to Bermuda, so we did a short stop at Horseshoe Bay, and were out on the islands all the way to St. David's and Clearwater Beach.

Our trip was to be 5 hours @ $10/ per hour per person. He didn't charge us for the time we had lunch at Swizzle Inn, so we were out for a bit over 6 hours.

It was a beautiful day, which helped, as photo opportunities were endless.

Contact George @

http://www.gartours.com/ and you may use my name: Mary Lynn

Marco, the Garden Club now have a Facebook page that they update often. You could try messaging them through their page. Just look for "The Garden Club of Bermuda"

Their website doesn't have any house tours listed their calendar, however, the Ag Show is being held this weekend and they usually have a stall. I'll try to visit the stall to ask them about the open houses and post the answer here.

this sounds wonderful. If we are docked at King's Wharf how would we get

to one of the aforementioned boat rental business?

The rental businesses mentioned in post #2 can be accessed by taking an inbound route #7 or #8 bus. A taxi would be a more expensive option.

SBtS

this sounds wonderful. If we are docked at King's Wharf how would we get

to one of the aforementioned boat rental business?

Actually one of them (Somerset Bridge Watersports or H2O Watersports) will pay your taxi from King's Wharf to their dock, it's offered free with any boat package. You'll have to check which one, we were staying on the island so didn't need that option. You'll have to take a bus back.

H2O is closer to you in Mangrove Bay and is part of the Cambridge Beaches resort. They offer a free cooler of ice while Somerset offers a cellphone. Both very highly recommended, just check their sites. I believe Somerset is closed from Oct - March.

And yes, it is one of the best days we've spent in Bermuda, you're on your own yet it's very safe.you can stay on the leeward side or venture out into the open water. Beautiful way to see the coast and a great opportunity for a lunch on a very private beach.

• 2 weeks later...

I did get a reply back from the Garden Club. They're NOT doing the house and garden tours this year. They are hoping to do them on Wednesday's in May in 2014 (I guess we'll just have to go back next year). All set to sail next week on the "Summit"......can't wait! The house and garden tours were always the highlight of our cruises to Bermuda in May.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually one of them (Somerset Bridge Watersports or H2O Watersports) will pay your taxi from King's Wharf to their dock, it's offered free with any boat package. You'll have to check which one, we were staying on the island so didn't need that option. You'll have to take a bus back.

H2O is closer to you in Mangrove Bay and is part of the Cambridge Beaches resort. They offer a free cooler of ice while Somerset offers a cellphone. Both very highly recommended, just check their sites. I believe Somerset is closed from Oct - March.

Somerset offers free taxi with their jet ski tours. I have an email to them to see if they will offer for a boat rental. For us I think this is the company we will use. 8 minute taxi ride, offer cell and cooler with ice and there is a place to buy a picnic lunch right next door. I was trying to figure out how to buy food to take along.

Archived