One Evening in London

Please forgive me if this has already been addressed...we will be arriving at the Crowne Plaza Heathrow at approx. 7 PM and departing the following work day at approx. 2 PM. We would like to go to some place in London central for a few evening hours...just for a very short "feel". What would be best mode of transportation...to and from. If we were to take the train (?), at which stop would be get off at?

Get the Heathrow Connect from the airport into Paddington. Your hotel should have a shuttle bus to and from the airport itself.

https://www.heathrowconnect.com/

From Paddington I'd get the tube to either Covent Garden or Leicester Square, and then walk from one to the other, maybe get food around there.

Alternatively you could take the Tube to London Bridge, and walk down to Tower Bridge.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ is useful for planning your journey around London.

Get the Heathrow Connect from the airport into Paddington. Your hotel should have a shuttle bus to and from the airport itself.

https://www.heathrowconnect.com/

From Paddington I'd get the tube to either Covent Garden or Leicester Square, and then walk from one to the other, maybe get food around there.

Alternatively you could take the Tube to London Bridge, and walk down to Tower Bridge.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ is useful for planning your journey around London.

The hotels at Heathrow don't have their own shuttle buses, you need to use the Hotel Hoppa run by National Express.

Please forgive me if this has already been addressed...we will be arriving at the Crowne Plaza Heathrow at approx. 7 PM and departing the following work day at approx. 2 PM. We would like to go to some place in London central for a few evening hours...just for a very short "feel". What would be best mode of transportation...to and from. If we were to take the train (?), at which stop would be get off at?

Is there a particular reason you're staying at LHR? I did something similar last fall (arrived 6ish, left next day at 3), and I stayed in Central London - with the Heathrow Express, it really wasn't much longer getting to LHR than it would have been from an airport hotel, and we were able to get some quality shopping time :D.

Twickenham...Hindsight is a wonderful thing...;) We got our hotel thru Priceline/Hot Wire...(one of the two)...so we're locked in to the Crowne Plaza unless we want to eat a few $$.

I'm thinking Plan "B" might be the way to go...get up early on the day of our 5ish PM flight back to the states...take the tube to (?) and maybe do the two-decker bus tour. Or, Plan "C", got come back next year for a longer stay. :p

Much appreciate all of your responses. You're the best!

I'm thinking Plan "B" might be the way to go...get up early on the day of our 5ish PM flight back to the states...take the tube to (?) and maybe do the two-decker bus tour. Or, Plan "C", got come back next year for a longer stay. :p

As long as you're at Paddington to take the Heathrow Express by 2:30-3 at the latest, you should be fine. Of course, Plan C works as well...;)

Twickenham...Hindsight is a wonderful thing...;) We got our hotel thru Priceline/Hot Wire...(one of the two)...so we're locked in to the Crowne Plaza unless we want to eat a few $$.

So your flight is around 5 pm? You originally said 2 pm, but perhaps you meant from the hotel? In that case definitely go up to London in the morning. Check out of the hotel, take the Hotel Hoppa (or a taxi) with your luggage to the terminal. Of course, you are unlikely to be able to check-in, but you can leave your bags at the Left Luggage facility (there is one in each terminal) - this means you can leave it later to come back to Heathrow as no need to go back to the hotel to collect your bags, just retrieve them and head straight for check-in.

As your time is limited, I'd suggest using the Heathrow Express (quicker and more frequent than the Connect, but more expensive), certainly on the way back.

Archived