Celebrity Millennium in Asia Experiencing Propulsion Issues

cruiseblues2013

Just a FYI, we have a friend finishing up his cruise from BBK to Singapore, they have a prop that went out and will have to by pass the last port of Hanoi, instead two days of sea then finale port. No other problems. Just wanted to pass the email information on to those that are interested.

Just a FYI, we have a friend finishing up his cruise from BBK to Singapore, they have a prop that went out and will have to by pass the last port of Hanoi, instead two days of sea then finale port. No other problems. Just wanted to pass the email information on to those that are interested.

Sure they are not sailing Singapore to Hong Kong? Hope it isn't Azipod issues again:(

Sure they are not sailing Singapore to Hong Kong? Hope it isn't Azipod issues again:(

You are right, I just checked his email....they are headed to HK, sorry....I am having a hard time following his travels this last week. I thought maybe it was because they were trying to stay as far from North Korea as they could

Wow...I'm really sorry to hear that.....These ships seem to have ongoing pod issues. (we were on that cruise/ship in February).

It certainly has me wondering about taking the infiniti to the antarctic next year. That's not some place where you want to lose power, even in one engine.

You are right, I just checked his email....they are headed to HK, sorry....I am having a hard time following his travels this last week. I thought maybe it was because they were trying to stay as far from North Korea as they could

North Korea is 1300 plus miles north of Hong Kong

Like wise. How long did repairs take in the past?

It all depends what the problem is.

If they have to remove the Azipod to fix it I suspect the ship would have to go to drydock.

I find it interesting that the cruiser onboard was quoted as having a prop problem (like the Azipod) where the Cruise Critic posting says an electrical problem.

My TA called Celebrity in Miami and supposedly they did not even know there was a problem:confused:

:confused:

GREAT :confused:

I am getting on in Hong Kong on Thursday.

Hopefully it will be fixed :)

He is going to email or skype, as soon as he can, I will update what the passengers were told if I can (leaving for San Juan for TA to Lisbon Wed). He said "prop" problem...... I am sure everything will be ready for you to go. Have a great time, he said the cruise was unbeliveable, safe travels....

I have a friend on board this cruise too (it's a chartered cruise).. I'll have to message him and see what's happening.

Not suprised if it is azipod problems, one of them had quite a vibration problem at times when we were on board for Christmas/New Year.

Keep us posted. We'll be on Millie in June. I have a friend that was supposed to sail on the Carnival Triumph, but her cruise got canceled because of the problems it was having. After spending 2 years planning this trip to Alaska, I sure don't want to have the cruise portion canceled! Guess I should probably have some backup land plans just in case?

It is an electrical problem. A friend just posted the letter the captain sent them. It does not say what will happen in Hong Kong. They did get a $100 onboard credit for missing the stop in Hanoi

Is it too late to buy travel insurance?

Very few policies cover a mechanical breakdown of a ship as anything other than "trip delay" and if your ship arrives on time, you have no claim. It's not even clear that travel insurance would cover any lost deposits due to the ship skipping Hanoi....you would have to read the fine print very carefully.

Travelling half way around the world for a cruise only to miss one of the major stops (it was supposed to be an overnight stop) would be incredibly frustrating to me. While I understand things can happen and the lack of any responsibility at all on the part of the cruise line (in the contract that none of us read), I think $100 is really an insult.

It is an electrical problem. A friend just posted the letter the captain sent them. It does not say what will happen in Hong Kong. They did get a $100 onboard credit for missing the stop in Hanoi

Can you give us a hyperlink to your friends posting of the Captains letter?

I have called Celebrity and they claim to not know that the Millennium is having problems :confused:

We are on this cruise April 11, flying out to Hong Kong tonight. I wonder what they will do if they can't fix it in time. It is not unusual that Celebrity doesn't want to tell anyone. I am sure they know. :D:eek::mad:

"We are STOPPED in the middle of the South China sea....broken propeller".....Just a update, this is just one line out of the email....it further states that they had so far been sitting floating for over 3 hours:( Plus missing Hanoi and now delay. People are staring to worry about missing flights home. And yes everyone heard from the Captain about mechanical failure....and their 100 credit.....If I hear anything else I will pass it on.....

Can someone please explain what the "chartered" cruise mean? We are on it April 11, flying out tonight to Hong Kong. Is our chartered too? Thank you.

Chartered means that the entire ship is for a single group...I believe this one is Atlantis....your sailing will be 'regular' passengers (well, as regular as can be!:p)

GH Studio, I do agree with you, $100 is really not much. Just hoping they get it corrected FULLY for the next sailing, can't imagine losing a main port on one of these 'important' itineraries!:cool:

Archived