Cruise Days for On Board Purchases?

VallyD

On my last cruise I did not buy OBC before the cruise. I went to the bank, got a cashiers check made out to Holland America Line for X dollars. Then when on board I went to the Neptune lounge and had it processed as a credit. Since it was from a major bank they had no problem accepting it.

Let us know what you hear, I hope you get a better response than what is posted on the web site.

Alas, I did get a response from HAL today!

Thank you for your continued correspondence with Holland America Line. We apologize your question was not fully answered in our initial response. Pre-purchased shipboard credits will be reflective on the guest's onboard account as a credit similar to how payments are reflected on the account. This credit will then be debited against any purchases made by the guest during the cruise. As 1 cruise day credit is earned for every USD $300.00 spent onboard guests utilizing the shipboard credit must spend USD $300.00 in qualifying purchases in order to qualify for 1-onboard spending day bonus credit. For example if a guest pre-purchases 1 USD $300.00 shipboard credit the guest does not receive 1 bonus day credit for the act of purchasing the credit, however once the guest spends the $300.00 on qualified purchases onboard the 1 bonus day will have been earned.

It does appear that yours was calculated incorrectly or that there are other charges that you may not have taken into account.

Alas, I did get a response from HAL today!

Thank you for your continued correspondence with Holland America Line. We apologize your question was not fully answered in our initial response. Pre-purchased shipboard credits will be reflective on the guest's onboard account as a credit similar to how payments are reflected on the account. This credit will then be debited against any purchases made by the guest during the cruise. As 1 cruise day credit is earned for every USD $300.00 spent onboard guests utilizing the shipboard credit must spend USD $300.00 in qualifying purchases in order to qualify for 1-onboard spending day bonus credit. For example if a guest pre-purchases 1 USD $300.00 shipboard credit the guest does not receive 1 bonus day credit for the act of purchasing the credit, however once the guest spends the $300.00 on qualified purchases onboard the 1 bonus day will have been earned.

It does appear that yours was calculated incorrectly or that there are other charges that you may not have taken into account.

Thank you -- yes, alas! So strange, because on our last several cruises they have calculated just like on this last cruise. I'm sure there were no other charges, I had our final shipboard statement in front of me when I gave the figures.

It could be another case of what HAL says and what the ships do is not always the same too. Thanks for letting us know. :)

I have actually sent an email to HAL requesting more information on how it works with OBC but I have just gotten the same info that is posted on the web site; I am waiting to see if they will repond again to my repsonse to their response. :)

Please keep us posted, Peter.

Archived