Vatican Question RE: Credit card issue

originolsin

I have reserved my Vatican Museum tickets online, and as most know the Vatican does not have credit card processing and is unable to take credit cards. So entrance has to be paid in cash.

My question is, how will my reserved tickets work? Will I still be waiting in line like everyone else? Do I just walk right to a special area?

Someone who has been through this recently, can you please tell us your experience as this is a fairly new event?

I bought my ticket online the other day for a visit the first week of May. Doing a VERY rough translation of some of the wording on the voucher, it looks like there is an "online purchase" window that you will to and exchange your voucher and cash for the ticket. So, it sounds like they have set up a separate window for those of caught in their finance problems.

The CC issue has to do with the Vatican not being a party to some international anti-money laundering laws and the Bank of Italy suspending Deutsche Bank's processing of the Vatican's credit business.

I bought my ticket online the other day for a visit the first week of May. Doing a VERY rough translation of some of the wording on the voucher, it looks like there is an "online purchase" window that you will to and exchange your voucher and cash for the ticket. So, it sounds like they have set up a separate window for those of caught in their finance problems.

The CC issue has to do with the Vatican not being a party to some international anti-money laundering laws and the Bank of Italy suspending Deutsche Bank's processing of the Vatican's credit business.

Thank you. I had read that you skip the line outside and go into the museum and to the right would be a place to pay for your ticket. I am not 100% certain, but it does seem that you still skip the queue outside the museum. This is what I found on the Vatican FAQ's

FAQ

Q. Does the online reservation allow you to skip the line?

A. Yes, the online reservation allows you to skip the line of entrance to the Museum.

Q. How and where can I pay for my reservation?

A. Reservation must be paid, by cash, on the day of the visit inside the Museums.

I would imagine someone out there does have first hand knowledge though?

I have reserved my Vatican Museum tickets online, and as most know the Vatican does not have credit card processing and is unable to take credit cards. So entrance has to be paid in cash.

My question is, how will my reserved tickets work? Will I still be waiting in line like everyone else? Do I just walk right to a special area?

Someone who has been through this recently, can you please tell us your experience as this is a fairly new event?

Hi,

I have reserved my Vatican tickets on line today too for June and I couldn't find a place to pay for them with credit card.

Back in July I reserved and paid on line for my tickets.I just had to exchange the voucher for the tickets.

Hi,

I have reserved my Vatican tickets on line today too for June and I couldn't find a place to pay for them with credit card.

Back in July I reserved and paid on line for my tickets.I just had to exchange the voucher for the tickets.

They dont have a place to pay online right now due to credit card problems that someone noted more specifically above. Also, you wont be able to use a credit card for any purchase at the Vatican. Cash only.:(

They dont have a place to pay online right now due to credit card problems that someone noted more specifically above. Also, you wont be able to use a credit card for any purchase at the Vatican. Cash only.:(

Thank you

Yep, until the Vatican and the Bank of Italy come to some agreement, there won't be any credit card use anywhere inside the Vatican.

As for "skipping the line", another go at the Italian translation does have something about "After passing through the metal detector", then the part about the "online" line. So, it does look like there is still a special procedure for those of us who bought on line.

So you know - the Google language app for the iPad is pretty good at deciphering that Italian. It will even speak what you want. A good reason to take that iPad Mini (with wifi/LTE turned off). I just used the one on Google on the web.

So you know - the Google language app for the iPad is pretty good at deciphering that Italian. It will even speak what you want. A good reason to take that iPad Mini (with wifi/LTE turned off). I just used the one on Google on the web.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you turn off the wifi/LTE, then how do you get google to work? I'm not a techie, but would have assumed you needed some sort of internet connection for that to work. I'm in the research phase for italy and reading pros and cons of taking various devices. thanks!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you turn off the wifi/LTE, then how do you get google to work? I'm not a techie, but would have assumed you needed some sort of internet connection for that to work. I'm in the research phase for italy and reading pros and cons of taking various devices. thanks!

Sorry. I wasn't too clear. I'm still getting into my iPad, too. You do need it turned on to use the Google stuff. But, you don't have to have it on all the time. If you have one of the iPads with cell capability, you can buy a cheap data SIM to use. If you're doing the cruise with lots of Italy involved, it makes sense to buy one, since it will work anywhere in the country that you can get a cell signal. But, you still have to be judicious with turning it on/off to not waste your pre-paid SIM. I would do the same here in the US - no reason to burn time when I don't need to.

There are map apps where you can do offline maps. I believe the podcasts are self-contained (once you download them). When I'm back at the hotel, I'd turn on my internet (I get it free at certain hotels where I have status) and do what I need.

back on the original topic... there is a thread on t.advisor that indicates the vatican is now taking cc on site, but not on the online reservation system. So I am still curious if I book my tickets (for June) now and get a voucher does this or does this not avoid long lines... I know the FAQ on the vatican website says it skips lines, but I don't know if I trust that. Has anyone done the online reservation with vouchers and have already had their visit to the Vatican requiring then to cash in the voucher and pay on site? Was there a separate line than the normal line for people with no vouchers / no tickets?

thanks.

back on the original topic... there is a thread on t.advisor that indicates the vatican is now taking cc on site, but not on the online reservation system. So I am still curious if I book my tickets (for June) now and get a voucher does this or does this not avoid long lines... I know the FAQ on the vatican website says it skips lines, but I don't know if I trust that. Has anyone done the online reservation with vouchers and have already had their visit to the Vatican requiring then to cash in the voucher and pay on site? Was there a separate line than the normal line for people with no vouchers / no tickets?

thanks.

If you can wait until May 3rd at midnight or May 4th, I can let you know. I've got my "nighttime at the Vatican" booked for May 3. I have the voucher. But, since I'm doing the nighttime special, I don't believe there will be long lines, anyway. But, at least I can tell you if there is a special line for voucher folks. I still believe I translated the voucher instructions correctly.

thanks.

Even when you could reserve your tickets and pay for them online, you had to print a voucher. You would get in the short line (for those with reservations.). Once inside, you had to go to a cashier and exchange the voucher for your tickets. Those are the same windows that people without reservations use to purchase tickets. So I would think you'd just go in the short line (for those with reservations.). It doesn't sound much different to me.

Anybody have any problems ordering tickets online?

I entered all the information, but I got a 'authorization denied' sign.

Did you use the Vatican website or another one? I ordered my ticket just a few days ago and it was OK. Which ticket did you try to order? Did you try to order more tickets than were available for that time slot? Did you try another time slot? The "authorization denied" is kind of strange, since you aren't paying, just ordering.

Anybody have any problems ordering tickets online?

I entered all the information, but I got a 'authorization denied' sign.

Your credit card company might have denied it since it was a charge from Italy. I would call your credit card company and let them know you are purchasing tours in advance of your trip.

• 2 weeks later...
If you can wait until May 3rd at midnight or May 4th, I can let you know. I've got my "nighttime at the Vatican" booked for May 3. I have the voucher. But, since I'm doing the nighttime special, I don't believe there will be long lines, anyway. But, at least I can tell you if there is a special line for voucher folks. I still believe I translated the voucher instructions correctly.

Please let us know how the night-time deal goes. I'm considering it since we'll be there in July & it would help alleviate the hot afternoon in there.

I got the same warning. You are not asked for cc info. Tried 3 times from different browsers.

I received the same "authorization denied". Anybody know what to do now???

Try clearing the cache on your browser. There may be a cookie in there which is causing the issue. I'm not going to try & explain how to do to since there are many variations depending on your browser and operating system. But google it if you don't know how.

If you're on an iPad or Mac and getting the issue, I'm not sure what it would be.

Please let us know how the night-time deal goes. I'm considering it since we'll be there in July & it would help alleviate the hot afternoon in there.

I will absolutely report back!! Just remember - it's Friday nights only.

We were on a transatlantic earlier this month and we went to the Vatican. We reserved our time slot online (Vatican website) and did not pay ahead of time. We printed our voucher and upon arrival at the Vatican, walked past ALL the the other tourists and headed straight for the entrance. The line snakes around the outside wall so walk between the roped off barrier and the street. Along the way, people will try to sell you a guided tour and convince you that you cannot get to the head of the line because you have not paid in advance. IGNORE THEM. Don't even make eye contact....We arrived at the entrace and found a policeman who asked what time the voucher was for. It was 5 minutes prior to what was indicated on the ticket. He pointed us to another line and we were passing security within 5 minutes. After you are screened through security, wait in line on the left to pay for your ticket. We paid by credit card. We did have to show photo ID...driver's license. That took about 10 mintues and then we began our visit

We did not make any other purchases except for lunch which we paid in Euros so I don't know if they take credit cards inside.

Hope that helps

I got the same warning. You are not asked for cc info. Tried 3 times from different browsers.

This happened to me tried several times from iPad and desktop. I emailed them the number it gave me and they emailed me my voucher. Their is a link to contact them by email. Just give them the number it gave before authorization denied came up and they should send you a voucher .

Archived