Walk to St Mark's Square from Venice Santa Lucia train station w/o lots of luggage?

mikeerdas

Thank you so much for posting this. This will help a lot. We like to just walk around and explore but sometimes being able to recognise names as you walk makes a place feel more familiar and less daunting.:)

Julie

Glad you found it useful, we visit Venice quite often and Guidecca is a very short Vaporetto ride (actually the Hilton have their own boat for guests) to the Zattere so you can be in Venice proper in less than 5 mins.

Hi mikeerdas,

We will be staying at the apartments in the Molino Stucky building in five weeks. Just wondering if you can can recommend any restaurants big or small near the hotel for our first evening.

I have found some I want to visit in Dorsoduro but am not sure about Giudecca island.

Thanks

Julie

Not sure what you mean by the apartments. But if this is officially through Hilton, I'd try to get yourself Gold status before departing by applying for either the Hilton Reserve or the Hilton Surpass credit cards--either gives you gold status for at least a year. We did, and this entitled us to the huge breakfast buffet each morning--otherwise costs 30 euros per person. And also access to the Executive Lounge where free beer, wine, and snacks are also available. We even cobbled together a light dinner there in the Executive Lounge from what was offered, so never even ate on Guidecca.

Absolutely loved the hotel and would stay again without hesitation.

Got totally lost in Venice and in just a short time, and signage was nuts! Both directional arrows point to San Marco!! Then when we finally found it, It was flooded!! Glad I was wearing flip flops!!! Those twisty, turning streets were intimidating as night fell.... Beautiful though, and I wish we had more time there.

We actually took train and hauled luggage across bridge and to ship, not as bad as I thought! I thought that P. Roma was going to be a huge parking lot to cross, when actually it was just a short step between the bridge and the people mover. The worst haul was after the People Mover to the ship!!! We are docked at the end.. And NCL took us the long way to the ship!!

We are a group of 4 coming by train from Rome to Venice to start our cruise. We arrive at santa lucia, I know how to get from Pl Roma on the people mover to the ship but how do we get from santa lucia to Pl Roma? We will have 2 large suitcases and 4 hand luggage with us.

Thanks

Slowly!!....

From the front of the station look left and cross the large modern bridge that takes you directly to PR. It has shallow steps but will still be a tad difficult with so much luggage. You may want to try to reduce the amount of hand luggage you travel with!! Unless that luggage is for four not per couple, in which case you will be fine.

Thanks that is just the info i needed. Yes that is the total amount of luggage for 4 adults. the suitcases are 4 wheelie and the hand luggage small roller bags. I was wondering if we had to get a vaporetta but a walk over the bridge will be fine. We plan to drop the luggage and then go into st marks square for a few hours before boarding. Our train arrives 10.30 ish from Rome and we sail at 5pm.

Thanks that is just the info i needed. Yes that is the total amount of luggage for 4 adults. the suitcases are 4 wheelie and the hand luggage small roller bags. I was wondering if we had to get a vaporetta but a walk over the bridge will be fine. We plan to drop the luggage and then go into st marks square for a few hours before boarding. Our train arrives 10.30 ish from Rome and we sail at 5pm.

It may be easier to leave the luggage in the station lockers, and jump on the Vaporetto right outside the station (buy tickets first) go down to St Marks, then on your return get off the Vaporetto at Ferrovia ( the stop for the station) pick up the luggage and go straight onboard. Just another idea to think about.

Thanks Poet, good reading though I gather it was written pre people mover. Great info for getting to the airport after the cruise too. We are heading to vienna by train, our friends flying from venice home to australia.

Archived