Domestic or international flight

Hi guys, for my flight from Trinidad to Puerto Rico i have to connect through Miami, i was wondering if Puerto Rico is considered a domestic flight or an international flight from Miami.

Not sure if anyone knows but any information would be appreciated :)

Hi guys, for my flight from Trinidad to Puerto Rico i have to connect through Miami, i was wondering if Puerto Rico is considered a domestic flight or an international flight from Miami.

Puerto Rico is domestic from Miami.

Be prepared to possibly go through customs once you arrive in Miami. You may be lucky since Miami is your connecting flight and they'll instead make you go through customs once you land in PR. Haven't been at the Miami Airport since 2008! :)

Be prepared to possibly go through customs once you arrive in Miami. You may be lucky since Miami is your connecting flight and they'll instead make you go through customs once you land in PR. Haven't been at the Miami Airport since 2008! :)

I have always had to go through immigration and customs in the first US airport you arrive at.

I have always had to go through immigration and customs in the first US airport you arrive at.

Me too. The only exception has been connecting through Canada and pre clearing customs there, then not needing to go through once we land in the US.

That's usually the case. Here in Europe, if you fly within the EU it usually means no customs...be there are some countries (Germany, UK) that are more strict and require that you go through customs.

It's not a possibility, it's an absolute. You'll clear in Miami as it's the first US entry point.

you will clear CBP in Miami and the lines are extremely long lately since CBP overtime has been reduced by 25%, so make sure you have plenty of time in between flights.

That's usually the case. Here in Europe, if you fly within the EU it usually means no customs...be there are some countries (Germany, UK) that are more strict and require that you go through customs.

Hey CJ

What you are thinking of is if a flight is fully within the Schengen Zone in Europe, then there is no customs/immigration check--it is basically like flying between 2 US states.. The UK is not part of the zone, but some non EU countries are (like Switzerland). Germany IS a part of it, and if you fly to/from Germany from someone else in the zone (Spain, France, etc) you will not go through customs/immigration, but if you are returning from somewhere outside the zone (even if they are a part of the EU, like Ireland) then you will have customs upon arrival.

Does that makes sense?

Landing in the US from any foreign country at all, (unless, as I noted above, you have precleared immigration in Canada) you will ALWAYS go through customs/immigration at your first stop.

you will clear CBP in Miami and the lines are extremely long lately since CBP overtime has been reduced by 25%, so make sure you have plenty of time in between flights.

We had to go thru customs in Miami on a return flight from Dominican Republic last November -it was a night mare - horrible lines and no organization - and this was before the cut backs. We had a 3 hr layover and almost missed our connection.

Hey CJ

What you are thinking of is if a flight is fully within the Schengen Zone in Europe, then there is no customs/immigration check--it is basically like flying between 2 US states.. The UK is not part of the zone, but some non EU countries are (like Switzerland). Germany IS a part of it, and if you fly to/from Germany from someone else in the zone (Spain, France, etc) you will not go through customs/immigration, but if you are returning from somewhere outside the zone (even if they are a part of the EU, like Ireland) then you will have customs upon arrival.

Does that makes sense?

Landing in the US from any foreign country at all, (unless, as I noted above, you have precleared immigration in Canada) you will ALWAYS go through customs/immigration at your first stop.

That is true now that you mention it. When we flew in/out of Brussels Belgium to Italy last year and from Frankfurt to the Canary Islands (Spain), no customs. But Brussels to London, had to go through customs. And Calais (France) to London via the ferry, again had to go through customs.

I feel like everyone is mistaking customs and immigration. Within Schengen, there is one immigration system, but the countries DO maintain their own customs. Generally in the form of exit "green" and "red" channels you walk through after claiming luggage.

Like a few others said, you will clear customs and immigration at MIA. And yes, the lines are ridiculous! One of the most ridiculous setups I've seen. They most certainly should have a separate security checkpoint for connecting Int'l passengers...but that's just my opinion. No LIAT through St. Lucia and Dominica?

Archived