Pursers

Somehow "Guest Relations" or a similar title does not evoke the same feeling of being on a ship as the "Purser's Office" did. Are there still pursers or do they have a new HR title? Do any ships still use the term "Purser's Office"?

It may be that the title and duties varies with the different cruise lines. But, I am of the opinion that today, Guest Relations Managers are different from the Pursers. The Purser seems to handle the business affairs of the ship, i.e. the necessary documents for ship clearance upon arrival at a port. The Guest Relations Manager and staff handle exactly what the job title is. There maybe some overlap of duties, depending upon the ship, I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Four years ago, we need to refrigerate my son's medication, and our rooms did not have refrigerators in them (older, non-refurbed ship). When the special needs rep told me we would have to leave it with the ship's purser, and retrieve it as needed, I almost said, "With Gopher? Why not Doc?" :D

Why he got stuck with meds is still beyond me. Maybe he drew the short straw on that sailing.

• 1 month later...
Somehow "Guest Relations" or a similar title does not evoke the same feeling of being on a ship as the "Purser's Office" did. Are there still pursers or do they have a new HR title? Do any ships still use the term "Purser's Office"?

Cunard does. The below picture was taken on Queen Mary 2.

i-2Xwwwn8-XL.jpg

Archived