Canceling Someone in your Cabin - Don't do it!

cruisinfanatic

So what is saved by not telling CCL that person number two cancelled? In other words whats the whole point of this thread, $50?

You would be charged 300% in total.. so you think people should call up carnival and cancel the 2nd pax when they get nothing back and two people paid in total, so another 100% would be charged ...300% total>.. for one solo pax. remember 2 people already totally paid.. if one cancels too last minute to get anything back .. the remaining pax will be charge one more fare.. so 3 fares would be charged, 300% of the fare total.

thank you zef for coming to my rescue.. I was more than annoyed as you could tell that someone thinks a 300% charge for cruising solo would be good or they are cheating some how.

It was very nice to be on RCL last week with ZERO solo supplement.. whereas on Carnival I always pay 200%. No exceptions with Carnival, they always charge solos 200%.

Most here think Carnival wants to drive away solo cruisers.

What is saved is the $50 change fee. And yes, the whole point of this thread is $50.

With ES, you cant change pax for $50 (or did the ES rules change to now allow name changes with ES?) .. so you could be saving one entire fare.

That was my issue, I was booked ES. Hence the no show. At the time no name changes were allowed with ES .. so it would have been a entire 3rd extra fare.

hey missed ya ..

It would appear that way, and according to the OP the $50 is mostly offset by the refund in port fees and taxes.

I and some others were thinking the OP was saying it was going to cost 300%.

You are correct. Some people have misinterpreted what is actually happening. If you want, look at it this way (I'm just making these number up for illustration purposes) ...

The double occupancy rate is $1,000 per person. Fees and taxes is an additional $34.56 per person.

If one person is in the cabin the cost is $1,000 + $1,000 + $34.56 for a total of $2,034.56.

If two people are in the cabin, the cost is $1,000 + $1,000 + $34.56 + $34.56 for a total of $2,069.12.

If one of the two people cancel, the second person gets back $1,034.56. The first person has to pay an additional $1,000 + $50 change fee. This the total cost is $2,084.56 ($1,000 plus $1,000 plus $34.56 plus $34.56 minus $1,034.56 plus $1,000). Of course you have have to add $12.99 for the bottle of aspirin required to explain all of this, making the total fare $2,097.55 plus local taxes on the $12.99 bottle of aspirin.

Does this make it clearer?

With ES, you cant change pax for $50 (or did the ES rules change to now allow name changes with ES?) .. so you could be saving one entire fare.

That was my issue, I was booked ES. Hence the no show. At the time no name changes were allowed with ES .. so it would have been a entire 3rd extra fare.

hey missed ya ..

Not everyone purchases the ES fare, which does in fact have a different set of rules.

Perhaps I should have sprung for the $19.99 extra large bottle of aspirin if some starts asking about that.

Tell you what - Firefly, you take the ES questions. Glad to see you are still going strong.

You are correct. Some people have misinterpreted what is actually happening. If you want, look at it this way (I'm just making these number up for illustration purposes) ...

The double occupancy rate is $1,000 per person. Fees and taxes is an additional $34.56 per person.

If one person is in the cabin the cost is $1,000 + $1,000 + $34.56 for a total of $2,034.56.

If two people are in the cabin, the cost is $1,000 + $1,000 + $34.56 + $34.56 for a total of $2,069.12.

If one of the two people cancel, the second person gets back $1,034.56. The first person has to pay an additional $1,000 + $50 change fee. This the total cost is $2,084.56 ($1,000 plus $1,000 plus $34.56 plus $34.56 minus $1,034.56 plus $1,000). Of course you have have to add $12.99 for the bottle of aspirin required to explain all of this, making the total fare $2,097.55 plus local taxes on the $12.99 bottle of aspirin.

In this example we are within the cancellation period, what if we are 1 week before departure and one of the people cancel?

What about during the penalty period.

So cruiser 1 cancels and gets nothing back because they are in 100% penalty phase, does cruiser 2 still pay an extra grand? This would result in Carnival getting $3000 for a $2000 cabin even if cruiser 1 has cancellation insurance and get their $1000 back from the insurance company.

You would be charged 300% in total.. so you think people should call up carnival and cancel the 2nd pax when they get nothing back and two people paid in total, so another 100% would be charged ...300% total>.. for one solo pax. remember 2 people already totally paid.. if one cancels too last minute to get anything back .. the remaining pax will be charge one more fare.. so 3 fares would be charged, 300% of the fare total.

thank you zef for coming to my rescue.. I was more than annoyed as you could tell that someone thinks a 300% charge for cruising solo would be good or they are cheating some how.

It was very nice to be on RCL last week with ZERO solo supplement.. whereas on Carnival I always pay 200%. No exceptions with Carnival, they always charge solos 200%.

Most here think Carnival wants to drive away solo cruisers.

Yes, that is the whole point. A solo pays for two. Two pay for two. Three pay for two and half (more or less).

If you start with two and end up with one, the cruise fare is does not change, but the fees and taxes do. Now, what I would like to know is, was the couple that had a baby born on the cruise ship (it happened a while back) charged a prorated fare for the baby?

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/06/woman-who-gave-birth-on-cruise-ship-says-she-had-just-learned-of-pregnancy/95951/1

In this example we are within the cancellation period, what if we are 1 week before departure and one of the people cancel?

So cruiser 1 cancels and gets nothing back because they are in 100% penalty phase, does cruiser 2 still pay an extra grand? This would result in Carnival getting $3000 for a $2000 cabin even if cruiser 1 has cancellation insurance and get their $1000 back from the insurance company.

Okay people, I going to have to refer you to the bank rules ...

There is a server penalty for early withdrawal ...

whipped.jpg

No one in the last 7+ years that I have been a member of this forum and one other cruise forum that I belong too has ever claimed to be charged 300% for one person. I hear people screaming about a solo having to pay for two, I've seen debates about whether it is fair or not, but I have never seen anyone claim they had to pay triple.

The money the second person paid is used to pay the single supplement and the beef has always been over the change fee. That is it.

and she can tell them "He'll be here later" and act as shocked as the rest of us when he doesn't make the sailing?

People miss flights all the time.......flights get cancelled/delayed.......missed connections....etc...results are missed cruises :)

The way it was explained to me is there would be a $50 change fee and the person cancelling would get taxes back.

What I'd like to know is that there have been a couple threads in the last few days that said they were charged much more than $50. One was $250 and one was $480 I think.

The way it was explained to me is there would be a $50 change fee and the person cancelling would get taxes back.

What I'd like to know is that there have been a couple threads in the last few days that said they were charged much more than $50. One was $250 and one was $480 I think.

$250 sounds like an ES issue. $480 - adding a third or fourth person to the cabin perhaps??? Rate increase perhaps (if the rate has gone up since you booked and you are making a major change, you might have to pay the new higher rate)? :confused:

$250 sounds like an ES issue. $480 - adding a third or fourth person to the cabin perhaps??? Rate increase perhaps (if the rate has gone up since you booked and you are making a major change, you might have to pay the new higher rate)? :confused:

No one was adding anyone. They were being charged just for cancelling one person in a double cabin

ES has nothing to do with it. After final payment normal cancellation penalties take over

I can't believe I'm adding to the madness.

I don't recall who gave the numbers, but following their lead:

Cruise is $1000 per person with $50 taxes & fees per person.

Two people in the cabin is $1000 x 2 + $50 x 2 = $2100 for the cabin

One persons travels in the cabin is $2000 + $50= $2050 for the cabin.

If penalty phase is in effect and the solo cabin no shows; they've lost their money.

If one person from the double cabin no shows and cruiseline is notified in advance; the person remaining in the cabin has to cough up another $1000.

Shyt....this is driving me bananas now. Carry on...forget I joined in on the madness. :p

I can't believe I'm adding to the madness.

I don't recall who gave the numbers' date=' but following their lead:

Cruise is $1000 per person with $50 taxes & fees per person.

Two people in the cabin is $1000 x 2 + $50 x 2 = $2100 for the cabin

One persons travels in the cabin is $2000 + $50= $2050 for the cabin.

If penalty phase is in effect and the solo cabin no shows; they've lost their money.

If one person from the double cabin no shows and cruiseline is notified in advance; the person remaining in the cabin has to cough up another $1000.

Shyt....this is driving me bananas now. Carry on...forget I joined in on the madness. :p

No, its only if the 2nd pax cancels before the cruise that the remaining pax is charged the 200% solo supplement.

You WANT the 2nd pax to no show.. so that there is no solo supplement, which would be a 3rd fare, 300% added.

Once you get to the port and someone doesnt show up, no additional fees are charged .. its only if pax #2 is dumb enough, when its so late they will not get any money back.. they call and cancel that their fare is forfeited, and now the remaining pax is solo and gets charged the solo supplement.

I feel like that guy big duck posted pulling out their hair.

Big duck gets it (as always)... his post is correct.

No, its only if the 2nd pax cancels before the cruise that the remaining pax is charged the 200% solo supplement.

You WANT the 2nd pax to no show.. so that there is no solo supplement, which would be a 3rd fare, 300% added.

Once you get to the port and someone doesnt show up, no additional fees are charged .. its only if pax #2 is dumb enough, when its so late they will not get any money back.. they call and cancel that their fare is forfeited, and now the remaining pax is solo and gets charged the solo supplement.

I feel like that guy big duck posted pulling out their hair.

Big duck gets it (as always)... his post is correct.

OMG !!!! I thought this was what I was saying back on page 1??? So this whole thread is not about the $50 change fee after all??

Excuse me, two men with a nice white coat for me are at my door.....

You always get back the add on taxes and fees for the no show as I said above. its automatically done.

As far as if you should no show or if you cancel now you can get a little back, that is up to you and how much you would get back. The only consideration might be that if you cancelled the 3rd pax, they MIGHT move you to a double if they wanted your triple cabin. (more than likely not).

Being a 3rd pax, there is no extra supplement etc.. its only if you cruise alone.

Thank you for your help:)

• 1 month later...

We have 4 cabins booked on the dream....so my sister who is booked with her two grand daughters (age 10 & 11) can't go now due to an issue at work where she now can't go if she wants to keep her job... So we did es so I don't think we can change her out. The kids father and fiancé are in another cabin....so do you think she could check in with the kids and then get back off the ship to retrieve something and not come back? Her lost fare will be covered by her work but we are concerned that the girls won't be able to come if she can't go...

Are s there an easier way?

We have 4 cabins booked on the dream....so my sister who is booked with her two grand daughters (age 10 & 11) can't go now due to an issue at work where she now can't go if she wants to keep her job... So we did es so I don't think we can change her out. The kids father and fiancé are in another cabin....so do you think she could check in with the kids and then get back off the ship to retrieve something and not come back? Her lost fare will be covered by her work but we are concerned that the girls won't be able to come if she can't go...

Are s there an easier way?

I don't think that would fly. If the cabin with the kids is right next to the dads, there should be no problem

Has anyone mentioned that if you reduce the number of pax in your cabin, the cruise line can move you to another/smaller one with the 'right' number of beds, and then resell your original?

Family of 4 becomes family of 3... gets moved to a 3x cabin, still pays the fare for the fourth. CCL resells the 4x cabin, and gets 4x fares. Bonus!

One more reason to keep your mouth shut, I guess.

Has anyone mentioned that if you reduce the number of pax in your cabin, the cruise line can move you to another/smaller one with the 'right' number of beds, and then resell your original?

Family of 4 becomes family of 3... gets moved to a 3x cabin, still pays the fare for the fourth. CCL resells the 4x cabin, and gets 4x fares. Bonus!

One more reason to keep your mouth shut, I guess.

I remember one person mentioning that you could get moved in that case, but it's unlikely to be moved if it's close to sailing.

As far as the point of this thread goes (which I know is over a month old now), firefly had it right all along. Read her responses for the correct info. When 2 people are booked, and you are within the 100% cancellation penalty phase, and one person cannot go, do not cancel them. If you do, one entire cruise fare is removed from the booking as a cancellation penalty. That's what a penalty is. The amount is removed; it no longer is a part of the payments for that booking. At that point, there is only one cruise fare paid for that booking. That means that another cruise fare, the solo supplement, must be paid right away. Then, 3 cruise fares have been paid (1 doesn't apply to the booking because it was a penalty). So the point of this thread is not just about $50. That's something totally different. For a cruise fare of $1000, doing a no-show instead of cancelling saves $1000. $2000 is still paid on the room, but cancelling would result in $3000 being paid ($2000 applied, $1000 as a penalty). $1000, not $50. Quite significant!

For anyone who thinks that the penalty is not a penalty and will still apply to the booking, there is a fundamental business flaw with that theory. Let's say for a moment that you are right. A double booking could cancel one person, leaving one person in the room, and no supplement being added, as the penalty is not taken out as a penalty. Then, right away, that person who is left on the booking could call back and add someone completely different, and since 2 cruise fares are already paid on the booking, no additional cruise fare is paid. In other words, in 2 steps, they just did a name change for FREE. From a business perspective, Carnival cannot allow this to happen. And I would not expect them to. They must protect themselves from that, which is why the cancellation penalty must be removed from the booking and not remain on the booking as the solo supplement. So a double turned solo right before sailing would pay 3 cruise fares in total, unless the person not coming does a no-show.

The reason we don't hear about a person paying the 300% is because everyone in these situations knows or is told (even by Carnival reps) to not cancel & just do a no-show. Might Carnival bend/break rules for some people? Possibly. But I wouldn't take that risk, because cancelling instead of no-showing would save $0.00.

Archived