Canceling Someone in your Cabin - Don't do it!

cruisinfanatic

We have 4 cabins booked on the dream....so my sister who is booked with her two grand daughters (age 10 & 11) can't go now due to an issue at work where she now can't go if she wants to keep her job... So we did es so I don't think we can change her out. The kids father and fiancé are in another cabin....so do you think she could check in with the kids and then get back off the ship to retrieve something and not come back? Her lost fare will be covered by her work but we are concerned that the girls won't be able to come if she can't go...

Are s there an easier way?

I have never thought of that situation before. I don't know if that would work or not. Last month, we got to tour a Princess ship for $39. We had to leave at 3:00pm. As we were leaving, the security people didn't realize that we were just doing the tour, and thinking that we were on for the whole cruise, they told us that we needed to be back on the ship by 3:30. Of course, we were supposed to leave and not come back, and we told them that we had done the tour. But what that exchange told me is that it is possible to leave the ship after boarding; and (oops), we didn't get back in time. Our account would have already been set up, and probably then get charged the tips and no refund on the gov't fees & taxes.

But with that leaving behind 2 people under 25 alone in a room, I'm not sure what could happen there. I would be worried about that. I would hate to tell you that it could be done, and then security comes around to say that the girls have to get off the ship since your sister didn't return. If the father was booked with one girl, and the fiance in another room with the other girl, there wouldn't be any issue at all, of course. And even with that, you would wind up switching rooms to put the girls together after getting on board anyway. The end result would be the same, but you never know how security is going to see things.

One more thought. You cannot do a name change, as far as I know, because you are Early Saver. However, if you cancel your sister, you could then book someone else into that room in her place, if you know of someone else over 25 years old that can & wants to go (and that you can trust of course). There will be no refund for the sister, of course, but if the new person is willing to pay their own way, they're just paying whatever the 3rd person rate would be. A crazy, maybe unlikely option that worked for my friends is to combine a couple bookings into one booking / one room. My friends did that before final payment though, so I don't know if that would work this close to sailing. You would cancel the sister, and maybe see about putting 4 people in one room, eliminating one booking, and not asking for any money back. If you upgrade the room, maybe resulting in a little more money for Carnival, they may go for it. I don't know if that would be allowed. That would probably involve bending some rules, but you never know.

We have 4 cabins booked on the dream....so my sister who is booked with her two grand daughters (age 10 & 11) can't go now due to an issue at work where she now can't go if she wants to keep her job... So we did es so I don't think we can change her out. The kids father and fiancé are in another cabin....so do you think she could check in with the kids and then get back off the ship to retrieve something and not come back? Her lost fare will be covered by her work but we are concerned that the girls won't be able to come if she can't go...

Are s there an easier way?

I would call Carnival and put the father in the room with one child and the Fiance in a room with the other, keeping the grandmother. Once you all get on the ship, the grandmother is a no show and switch the kids to the same room! :)

If you keep your mouth shut, how does the 2nd person (the one who cancelled out) get their money back through insurance company? That person needs an invoice to send to the insurance company to prove they cancelled prior to stepping on the ship, and how much they forfeited. When would you get that from Carnival if you were just a "no-show"?

As a point of interest, NCL does not work that way. My friend cancelled a few days before cruising, called NCL, I immediately received a new invoice showing refund of her fees (abt $150), my name only on the invoice, and fully paid up, so her fare was forfeited but still applied to my cabin. It was not taken away as a "Penalty". Had there been an extra single supplement charged to me, as it seems Carnival do, my insurance would have paid it.

I guess those who paid the "extra" supplement did not have insurance?

You may want to call Carnival (or your TA) and start asking hypotheticals. We had a simlilar situation in January (we were booked ES) and they allowed us to do a room switch for free. We were able to switch an adult in one room for an adult in the other to ensure we had access to a cabin.

If you keep your mouth shut, how does the 2nd person (the one who cancelled out) get their money back through insurance company? That person needs an invoice to send to the insurance company to prove they cancelled prior to stepping on the ship, and how much they forfeited. When would you get that from Carnival if you were just a "no-show"?

As a point of interest, NCL does not work that way. My friend cancelled a few days before cruising, called NCL, I immediately received a new invoice showing refund of her fees (abt $150), my name only on the invoice, and fully paid up, so her fare was forfeited but still applied to my cabin. It was not taken away as a "Penalty". Had there been an extra single supplement charged to me, as it seems Carnival do, my insurance would have paid it.

I guess those who paid the "extra" supplement did not have insurance?

the reason to shut up is with someone who does not have insurance. The person left in the cabin would have to pay a $50 change fee. By not saying Anything there would be no fee

Hi:

My MIL and 2 SIL are booked in a cabin. One SIL can not go now. They are booked a more the merrier rate and it is past final payment.

Since it is not early saver, can someone else be substituted in her place and what would the charge be?

Hi:

My MIL and 2 SIL are booked in a cabin. One SIL can not go now. They are booked a more the merrier rate and it is past final payment.

Since it is not early saver, can someone else be substituted in her place and what would the charge be?

Your situation is much easier & better than what has been discussed here. The name change fee would only be $50, since you are after final payment & not Early Saver.

If you do not have anyone else to go in her place, you actually should cancel that 3rd person as soon as possible. As long as you are not in the 100% penalty phase yet, you might get something back, and there will be nothing at all added afterwards as a fee. That last part would be true for a 3-person room even under Early Saver, for anyone who is ES in the same situation as you. There is no added $50 fee for cancelling someone after final payment. Cancellation penalties after final payment are the same no matter the rate, except the rate that doesn't allow any refund at all.

That name change fee may be the $50 that many people on this thread have been mistakenly thinking about (or the Early Saver change fee) in reference to the solo supplement. They think that the solo supplement is only a $50 change fee, when that's not what a solo supplement is. Solos have to pay double the cruise fare, not single cruise fare plus $50.

And cruise lines, not just Carnival, need actual bodies on board to drink, gamble, buy trinkets and book shore excursions.

Think about it...you can have one person in a cabin...or up to three in a cabin. They make more than just the price of the cruise...but only if the bodies are on the ship.

Your partner doesn't show up....you basically cover for this lost revenue.

No secret, nothing nefarious, just business.

When I cruise solo, I'm paying 200%. Why would anyone need to pay extra for a person not there? The fee is ALREADY 200%, whether I cruise alone or add somebody, so adding an extra fee is not right. IMHO

When I cruise solo, I'm paying 200%. Why would anyone need to pay extra for a person not there? The fee is ALREADY 200%, whether I cruise alone or add somebody, so adding an extra fee is not right. IMHO

Totally agree. It's quite laughable that Carnival chooses to penalize the remaining person left in the cabin just because you let them know the cabin will only be a single. Carnival says it's a change fee.

Total garbage

I have had to cancel clients at the last minute (less than 1 week prior to sailing) and there were no extra fees charged. They were not ES. The most recent was in Feb of this year...and I called to ask hypothetically, what would happen as I had read online "somewhere" that the remaining guest would be charged an additional fee, they told me that was not true but they have had a lot of people mistakenly think they would...and no additional fees were charged when I did cancel the client. Also, the $50 name change fee went away over a year ago (although, I don't know if booked directly through Carnival)...a TA can do it and as long as it is done online and not over the phone with Carnival, no fees are charged by Carnival.

I have had to cancel clients at the last minute (less than 1 week prior to sailing) and there were no extra fees charged. They were not ES. The most recent was in Feb of this year...and I called to ask hypothetically, what would happen as I had read online "somewhere" that the remaining guest would be charged an additional fee, they told me that was not true but they have had a lot of people mistakenly think they would...and no additional fees were charged when I did cancel the client. Also, the $50 name change fee went away over a year ago (although, I don't know if booked directly through Carnival)...a TA can do it and as long as it is done online and not over the phone with Carnival, no fees are charged by Carnival.

what are the details of the cancellation?

You cancelled the whole cabin for a total loss or you cancelled 1 person in a double?

Archived