Did the Diamond Make Juneau on time this week?

lbcrosby

Just curious if anyone knows whether or not the Diamond made it to Juneau on time this week. We head out on the 25th of June and curious if she is improving on her on-time arrivals.

Thanks

Just curious if anyone knows whether or not the Diamond made it to Juneau on time this week. We head out on the 25th of June and curious if she is improving on her on-time arrivals.

Thanks

Please tell us all about your trip when you get back. I would sure hate to be late getting into Juneau on our cruise next year since it is our shortest stop already.

Ann,

I have been thinking about the same thing. We're getting ready to book for 2006 on either the Sapphire or Diamond. It would be good to now what is causing the delays so I could decide whether the Coral or Island are a better size for cruising Alaska?

I'll be watching the responses :confused:

Linda

Ann,

I have been thinking about the same thing. We're getting ready to book for 2006 on either the Sapphire or Diamond. It would be good to now what is causing the delays so I could decide whether the Coral or Island are a better size for cruising Alaska?

Linda - I don't think this will be a problem next year. The Diamond/Sapphire (along with Coral and Island) will be doing one way trips next year and the route is entirely different (much easier then doing RT out of Seattle as they are doing this year).

IMO - if given the same choice you have - I would choose the Coral and Island. That is my favorite size ship :)

It would seem that the Diamond's late arrivals this year to Juneau and Victoria are being caused by the prop problems the ship has had since last year's "chance meeting" with the dock in Victoria. The ship can't maintain speed, so if it runs into anything resembling something other than calm seas, its late. From what I've been reading, averaging about 60-90 min late into Juneau this season, other than the one cruise that had to transfer a sick passenger and was several hours late.

The ship is scheduled to be drydocked in December to make a permanent fix, so I would think that 2006 itineraries wouldn't have the same issue.

Happy cruising!

Linda - I don't think this will be a problem next year. The Diamond/Sapphire (along with Coral and Island) will be doing one way trips next year and the route is entirely different (much easier then doing RT out of Seattle as they are doing this year).

IMO - if given the same choice you have - I would choose the Coral and Island. That is my favorite size ship :)

Coral ~ thanks for the info and I have actually started looking at the Coral and Island :D

Linda

For those of you who have been waiting on pins and needles, I just checked with Jason at Captain Larrys and he said the Diamond made it on time this week!! Fingers crossed for our trip next week.

And yes, it arrived on time. I'm sure that the delays are due to adverse currents and choppy seas. It was WILD the first at sea day on our way around Vancouver Island. It didn't bother me (thank you Bonine!), but I did hear that many were quite seasick. We were an hour late into Victoria because of choppy seas (you should have seen the pools sloshing like crazy!!), but again no big deal. I don't let things that I can't control bother me too much.

It was a wonderful cruise on a beautiful ship. We had a great time, were blessed with great weather (T-shirts in Juneau and Ketchikan!!), and had fantastic service. I would sail the Diamond again and again. I only had three complaints:

Wake Up Calls: Placed one for 6 AM morning we arrived in Ketchikan, and we were called at 5:15! That's too early, I could have been sleeping!!

Breakfast in room: Always 30 minutes earlier than requested, so the delivery person always saw me in a robe with my hair in a towel. I guess better early than late!

Polish girl in boutique: When asked her opinion between a Guess watch and a Kenneth Cole watch that my husband was deciding upon, she actually wrinkled up her nose and said, "Neither are my style." Fabulous sales pitch, honey! I could have popped her little wrinkled up nose. And for those of you dying to know, he bought the Guess one...

It appeared from the web cam that she made it in on time or a little eary today (the 20th). I hope this trend continues as we are sailing on July 9th and my DW is a little worried. Even more so about Victoria..Heaven forbid she should miss the wine and choclate tour LOL

Dennis and Roberta

It would seem that the Diamond's late arrivals this year to Juneau and Victoria are being caused by the prop problems the ship has had since last year's "chance meeting" with the dock in Victoria. The ship can't maintain speed, so if it runs into anything resembling something other than calm seas, its late. From what I've been reading, averaging about 60-90 min late into Juneau this season, other than the one cruise that had to transfer a sick passenger and was several hours late.

I don’t know that this is necessarily correct – the last I heard, the propellers had been ground down so that there were no longer the issues with speed. Seems that Juneau is the only port where Diamond Princess comes in late. If there was a mechanical issue, it seems that she’d be late other places as well.

I don’t know that this is necessarily correct – the last I heard, the propellers had been ground down so that there were no longer the issues with speed. Seems that Juneau is the only port where Diamond Princess comes in late. If there was a mechanical issue, it seems that she’d be late other places as well.

Heck - I sailed on the Dawn Princess last year on a B2B cruise in Alaska with one engine not working and we made it to every port on time.....

Bdjam - I heard the same thing. The propellers are working well and didn't need to be replaced until a scheduled dry dock in December.

Diamond was early today!:) I checked webcam right before I left the office at 4p.m. -- noon in Juneau -- and she was there.. it was raining but she was there.. hope the weather clears for those of you going next week.. we had nary a drop from 2 days in Seattle through the cruise ex. a little at sea and about 3 drops in Victoria!

Well, if that is the case then I stand corrected :) A friend who I talked to that is former coast guard said that if its a prop/shaft problem, its possible that the ship may slow when it encounters rough seas but run better in calm water. Being a landlubber, however, I may have not gotten the entire explanation correct :confused:

Appreciate your pointing out the repairs. Maybe we'll make Juneau on time in July after all :)

Thank you. We leave on Saturday so we are starting to get quite excited. If you have a chance to write a quick review that would be awesome. Thanks again for the information.

I wrote a little in the Alaska board, titled "Just Back from the Diamond".

Do you know remember who the cruise director was? I think I'll try to follow the advice of another cruiser who organized a cruisecritic get together by asking the cruise director if he/she would help.

The cruise director was a man named Omar, he was American. I liked Neal, an assistant director better. He had a funny personality and the "game shows" they put on every night in Club Fusion were a hoot to watch.

Do you know remember who the cruise director was? I think I'll try to follow the advice of another cruiser who organized a cruisecritic get together by asking the cruise director if he/she would help.

Are you a past cruiser with Princess??? Omar is really swamped but you might be able to ask the Captain's Circle person to assist you??? They really aren't equipped to do that and you won't have complimentary drinks etc. so I really suggest having it in Skywalkers or Wake View Bar which are not used that much. The bar in Skywalkers is open each day.. Hopefully in the future they will have CC get together but if you aren't a "group" with an onboard coordinator to contact once you board ship, I wouldn't get my hopes up for an "official" meeting place

Thanks Caroline. I am a past cruiser. We have a decent size group meeting at 2:45 at the Outrigger with a 'second chance' meeting set up before we dock in Juneau. I decided to just bring a large pink bag and write cruise critic on it. I'll either set it on the table or carry it depending how crowded it is. I really enjoyed all your posts about your cc cruise. Thanks.

The cruise director was a man named Omar, he was American. I liked Neal, an assistant director better. He had a funny personality and the "game shows" they put on every night in Club Fusion were a hoot to watch.

Were the game shows (other than the newleywed styles gmaes) family friendly?

Host Caroline or anyone who just returned from Alaska on the Diamond -----

We're part of the crowd that will be on the Diamond with "Mom" sailing on July 2nd and we can hardly wait. The tips about Seattle from Pam ("Mom") have been fantastic and I'm sure we'll be able to spot her pink bag.

As for the Diamond, did anyone run into a bartender/manager from Jamaica by the name of Peter recently? He is from Kingston. We had him as a bartender on the Grand Princess out of Lauderdale in July 2003 and on the Diamond Princess out of Los Angeles (Mexican Riviera) in 2004. Just wondering (and waiting to leave)!

BobbyG

Archived