Its not about beauty its about Pride

crewsin250

As a shipbuilder at Ingalls Shipbuilding, I look at this ship and name in a different way than most cruiseship travelers.

This ship started out in America with a lot of pride and dedication from the workers at Ingalls (now Northrop Grumman Ship System) in Pascagoula, MS. For those who may not know it Ingalls was one of the last companys to build a cruise ship in America around 50 years ago, and still today builds the war ships for our great Navy that gives us the freedom to cruise and live the life we live.

But at the hands of terrorist on 9/11/01, the orginal company (American Classic Voyages) goes bankrupt along with plenty of other companys. So now a decision is made on what to do with this half finished ship -- to cut it up for scrap or try and find a buyer.

Norwegian Cruise Lines stepped up and purchased the ship as is from Ingalls and kept the pride alive, at least a little, because we would have loved to have finished her in America and made it the true Pride of America, but I am still glad to see it finished and not cut up for scrap.

This is another example that the terrorist did not defeat and will not defeat the true Pride in America and around the World.

My husband and I recall that Saturday in October 2001 when we saw the SS Independence sail out of Kahului harbor with only the deck crew aboard. She sailed to Honolulu, and from there to the mainland and the breakers. As she left we wondered if we'd ever see another U.S. Flagged pax vessel.

The Pride of America's "rescue" from Mississippi, her sinking in Germany, and (finally!) her triumphant arrival in New York earlier today is a story of politics, business, and considerable pride. We too would have liked to see her finished here so she'd be 100% American, but we'll take what we can get. She'll employ Americans and fly our flag proudly.

We'll be aboard her next week on her inaugural (fare-paying) passenger cruise. We're taking our flags and lots of red/white/blue bunting to show our pride in the Pride of America!

Wow! I had no idea of the history of this ship! I'm so grateful to the OP for setting the record straight, and even happier to know that NCL "stepped up and did the right thing" as they have in so many different ways!

GOD BLESS THE PRIDE OF AMERICA! :D

Well the final stamp of completion happened today when that bottle broke on the side of the Pride of America. I wish her God Speed and smooth sailing.

If anyone would be willing to help me I would love to purchase a hat and pin from this wonderful ship.

Please contact me at crewsin250@yahoo.com and I will make arrangements to get you the money for these items.

I'm really glad you posted the history of this ship..... It's about Pride not beauty......I think she's beautiful but frustrated and hearing how ugly she is... To each their own but it's the pride in the work that's most important......:)

Archived