Booking a Table for 2... a bad choice?

On our very first cruise in 98 (we were in our late 20's) my wife and I sat at a table for 8. The people we were sitting with and ourselves had very little in common and this made that aspect of the cruise less than enjoyable. We did switch and ended up at a table for four with another couple, but even still... it wasn't the best match up.

On our three cruises since then we have always sat at a table for two (except for a cruise with extended family) and have found this very suitable. We were always close to other tables for two and ended up talking with those around us but could still have private dinner conversations as well.

On our upcoming cruise, Zuiderdam in September, I have once again requested a table for two, late seating. But I am starting to wonder if we shouldn't give sitting at a larger table another try. We could be missing out on a very enjoyable aspect, but then again, I don't necessarily want to 'rock the boat' on something that has worked well for us in the past.

So, I am curious, how do you all decide what size table you will sit at? Why do you choose the size you do? Ever had any really bad, or good, experiences that colored what you do today? Am I making a mistake by not trying the larger table thing again? I look forward to hearing your comments, Thanks!

This is really rough.

On one of our cruise many years ago, we were seated at a table of 8 - 6 of the people were in their eighties and we were in our late forties. They slept through nearly every course. It was a small ship - one seating - and no chance of a tabel change. Over the years we requested tables of 4 and 6 - some were good and some were bad.

In 2001 we had the unfortunate experience of being at a table for 4 and were unable to get a table change. They were the most obnoxious people we have ever encounted (at that time 50+ cruises). Since Dh had had a heart attack and was on a lot of medications (and still is) the only time HAL could offer us for a table was late seating - which didn't fit in with his medications. So for 6 of the 10 we just sat and ate and didn't talk to them while they just kept on about how fortunate we Americans were to get more for the dollar than they did> Never once did we tell them that we were in a suite. And I shall not tell you what country they were from.

We did a couple of more tables for 4 - better. But for the last 3 years we have done only tables for 2. And we don't have to listen to complaints or anything else.

We learned our lesson on our last cruise- our table for 6 became a table for 4 w/ the couple from he!!. From now on if we are not with friends or family we are back to a table for 2. I think there is more of a chance for disaster nowadays, also, because of people eating in alternative venues and it is easy to have a table for 6 or 8 shrink to 4 or 2.

We recently had a table of 6 and it was great. My TA told me this was her rule of thumb

Table for 2 - Sure its great to be with your spouse but it might be nice to have other company during dinner

Table for 4- You might not like the other 2 people, and then you have no one else to talk with

Table for 6- Odds are you will click with another couple

Table for 8- Table is getting large and it may be hard to have a conversation with people at the table.

We selected the table for 6, and were able to select the age of our tablemates. We sat with another couple who was on their honeymoon as well and 2 girls who were on their university grad. present.

Our next cruise we will select the same table size.

We are not anti social by any stretch of the imagination but always request a table for 2. Thankfully we have always been accomodated. I am a pretty fast eater and like my food piping hot. Sitting with other pax means you have to join in conversations, thus letting your food cool while you are talking. Also, a good waiter will never serve another course while some guests haven`t finished the prior course and that would really irritate me. We seldom stay for dessert, prefering to have a liqueur and chocolate post dinner in the Explorers Lounge and I feel if we were ate a multi seat table we would be rude leaving before everyone is finished eating....as always..JMHO..........jean :cool:

Unless we are traveling with a group, we always try to get a table for 2. I can recall 3 cruises for which we had larger tables. For 4 -- it was okay, but we didn't have much to talk about with the other couple; for 8 -- it was terrible, as most of the others were younger than us and intent on convincing everyone that they were making more money than everyone else at the table; for 7 -- this was quuite enjoyable, but we ended up here only after switching tables two times. In our opinion, unless we already know our table mates we'd rather sit at a table for 2 with each other and enjoy the opportunity of spending time together, discussing the food, and discussing what we've done and our plans for the next day's activities. As mentioned by another poster, we usually will have some conversation with others at surrouding tables for 2, which we enjoy. But we don't feel like we have to force conversation with strangers during our entire dinner, and we don't run the risk of having to share our table with people whom we don't particularly care for or who might not care for us either. There are plenty of opportunities other than dinner to meet other passengers, and in our experience we have become more friendly with those that we have met around the ship than those at our table.

how were you able to select the age of your tablemates? I have never heard of this.

Last year I remember my TA had a box to check on the HAL reservation form which had several age groups listed as preference for dinner companions, along with requested time.

Let me start by saying that we have only been on one cruise - so far. On that cruise, we requested a table for 6 and were seated with 2 couples that had been friends for years. They were very nice people and tried to include us but we felt we were definitely the odd couple out. So on the next cruise, we have requested a table for 2. Based on what I've read in the other posts on this thread, I don't think we'll regret our choice one bit.

cindy

A hard choice I agree.. we have been on cruises first one had 2 other couples, we had nothing in common and my dh would often say he wasn't feeling well towards the end of the meal while I finished my wine and leave.. the second cruise we started off being the only people at a table of 6.. and then a mother/daughter (adult) joined us and we had a wonderful time..last cruise we asked for a table for 6-8 people, it turned out to be a table for 10, but only 8 of us in total, when we first saw the table allocation, we thought. oh no. what if there are a group of 8 and us 2.. turned out to be fabulous .. best table yet.. Impulsive puppy we are sailing at the same time, would love to meet you, so why not consider our table.. we sail Sept 10 & 17th.. have requested a table for 6-8..

p.s. maybe you should know more about us.. 53 & 55, young at heart.. celebrating our 2nd anniversary on Sept 20th.. love to travel, enjoy vintage wines, flea markets.. etc.. write me is you have any specific questions

ngisonni@hotmail..

italian by marriage, canadian by birth.. dh was born in Italy immigrated to Canada when he was

My husband and I always request and usually get a table for two. Our next cruise is 33 days and the thought of sharing dinner with others we may not enjoy would be a long month. We love to people watch and this is much more fun just the two of us.

Last year I remember my TA had a box to check on the HAL reservation form which had several age groups listed as preference for dinner companions, along with requested time.

The same with us...

For 14 out of 15 cruises, I cruised with my DM and DS. But now I am cruising on my own.

When we started cruising we did the larger tables until one cruise where they crammed 7 people into a table for 6. From that point on we did only table for 4 and always had an empty seat.

On my RSSC with open seating, I loved joining a group. Sometimes you got repeats, but most times you meet different people. Because the cruise was from Manuas on the Amazon to FLL, the people on the cruise were very well traveled and enjoyed talking about it.

IMHO, I pretty much have decided, if I am on a fix table line, I will go with a table for two. OTOH on a open seating I favor groups.

I just would not like to get a table on a fix seating ship, with people I did not get along with. And just because you move does not mean you get new tablemates that you will get along with. On a recently locked thread about a large group from one Politicial party, on ships today you can get large groups of people that you would not want to sit with, and again, you could be moved to another table with people from that same group.....

Also on a table for two, the meal goes at your pace not at the pace of the slowest person at the table.....

LOL - short story, on RSSC at one table one night a couple brought up another passenger and then another couple said they sat with him and his wife.. Both couples complained that the meal took forever because this couple A) were slow eaters and B) Ordered every course on the menu....

My wife and I were on the Maasdam by ourselves and requested to be seated at a table for 8. We were so fortunate to share the company of people from the four corners of America - one couple from California, another from Florida, the third from Washington State and ourselves from North of the Border. Every one was considerate, fun and, thank goodness, different. Their backgrounds and experiences enriched our cruise.

Well I am obviously in the minority here but we have always selected a large table. Over the years we have had quite the variety of tablemates but none bad.

We are barely 30 now and took our first cruise together about 9 years ago, so we were fairly young. Well we were seated with 2 couples from NY (they were all friends) that were our parents age or older. They were Russian, spoke broken English, we had difficulty communicating and yet we still had the best time with them.

We are often the youngest (by far) at the table but we still thoroughly enjoy everyone's company. This is probably truer with HAL since it is a bit more of a mature crowd. Still I will contine to choose a large table. We have met some great people over the years, some which we continue to stay in touch with, others that we've lost contact with.

I guess we are fortunate. Hmmm, or maybe we are the bad tablemates??

~Kelly

We now always try for a table for two. One cruise, were were at a table for 8 and the 6 others who were traveling together did not show up a couple of nights.

We go to the dining room for breakfast and lunch so that gives us the opportunity to meet others during those meals.

I've been on 4 cruises... 2 with my late first wife, two with my recent bride... Table selections were: table for 8, table for 10, table for 8, table for 8. On the World Cruise, we had 9 different couples during segments of the cruise. I can honestly say that of those 19 or so couples that I've shared a table with, there is not one that I would not wish to dine with again... not sure all of them feel the same about me...:rolleyes: We've dined with people from all walks of life and learned a lot from conversations with them. I think I would be missing a great part of the cruise experience if I requested a table for two.

If there is a special occasion that I wish to share only with my sweetie, I can make reservations for two in the Pinnacle, but most of the time I would prefer to have our tablemates join the celebration.

Grumpy

Let me start by saying that we have only been on one cruise - so far. On that cruise, we requested a table for 6 and were seated with 2 couples that had been friends for years. They were very nice people and tried to include us but we felt we were definitely the odd couple out. So on the next cruise, we have requested a table for 2. Based on what I've read in the other posts on this thread, I don't think we'll regret our choice one bit.

cindy

We've cruised many times and for the first time ever have teamed up with a couple (A&B) we met on our last cruise, By 'teamed up' I mean sitting with them for dinner at a table for 6. My thought was that we'd have an unknown couple to add interest to the mix. We don't know A&B well as we live on different sides of the continent and have not met up since our cruise a year ago.

Well, now I'm wondering. A&B advise that friends of theirs will be joining the cruise - the men are in the same profession so I assume they (will/may)have much in common. We're well travelled and have no problems as to 'which fork to use' - I just feel we may be fifth wheels. DH says I'm worrying unnecessarily.

Any comments/advice?

Do I leave well enough alone and take our chances, as DH thinks we should, or perhaps suggest that we go for a table for 8 - in that case - how do I tactfully make the suggestion

Husbands aren't always right - and I speak as a husband - but this time I agree with your husband. I think you are worrying needlessly and everything's going to be fine.

TedC may be right but if he is wrong u will suffer for it. Had a similar thing happen to us and wished I had switched to a table for 8. U may be alright although u are going to be a bit on the fringe 'cause the other 2 couples are friends' and u are new aquaintances. That said maybe u don't mind being on the edge and making 'new' friends. On a table for 8 u won't be the 'odd fellows' and may find the new 'couple' fun - then again u might find them obnoxious and it will make the bunch of u allies against them - Ahhhh getting complicated but worth considering carefully as u will spend considerable time with them. There is always the Lido and alternative restaurant also for a few nights. Whatever u do decide, please go with an open mind and heart and it will work out well..Happy cruisin'!

it boils down to personal preference and whether you're willing to chance the roll of the dice re tablemates. We've been on 5 cruises now and have had tables of 8 4 times and a table of 6 most recently. Have had some folks we really enjoyed and others who were, at least, not objectionable. Past 3 cruises we have gone with another couple so we at least have them as a safety outlet at the table.

Had we not been willing to take the chance on tablemates we would have missed out on meeting a great couple in their early 90s who were the life of the party at both the table and on the ship 3 cruises ago. Enjoyed them so much that even though we were sailing out of Port Canaveral on the following trip, the four of us went down early and drove down to Boca Raton just to see them and take them out to dinner.

After 32 yrs of marriage, DW and I get plenty of quiet time together. We enjoy the give and take and sharing of experiences that a large table affords. And between my buddy and I, we can generally plan on any objectionable behavior at the table coming from us. *S*

While normally I would agree with Grumpy,, (hi2.gif Grumpy) a major thing you should consider is WHERE you are taking your cruise. On a World Cruise/Med Cruise/etc, almost all the people are seasoned travelers. But on a 7 day Caribbean/Alaska/Mexican Rivera you may have a lot of families with kids or groups of people who may want to talk about what is formal Klingon dress for formal night....scared2.gif

Now I will go hiding.gif from CCers with children.....

DH and I both have difficulty hearing conversation at a large table, especially in a dining room where there is noise from adjacent tables. A table for two suits us very well for this reason. We find that there are plenty of opportunities to meet other folks around the ship in areas where conversation is less difficult.

The people we were sitting with and ourselves had very little in common and this made that aspect of the cruise less than enjoyable.

The people you seat with during dinner most of the time will not have anything in common with you. but there are always things to chat about, Excursions etc.

I always sit with the largest table I can find, The Jokes that fly every night and the laughter is probably the loudest in the dinning room, shows you how much we have fun.

There are ways to open up a conversion, and a way to feel out a couple, they are probably thinking the same thing you are LOL.

When I look over at people that are sitting alone, they look very miserable and tired with nothing to talk about or share with anyone.

I love meeting new people, enjoy their company no matter where they are from or what they do.

We got a table for 4 once, not my choice, but it turned out this couple were also Law Enforcement and he did the same type of job but out of the state of Maryland, pretty funny.

Most of the time, Wendy and I are the youngest in the table and thats cool because we can act alittle crazy with these older folks, They are very young at heart thats why they sail on the FUN SHIPS, thats one of the best times because we can call them Pops and Moms LOL

I would say, Give it another try, you're alot older now and have more to talk about. :)

Archived