Booking a Table for 2... a bad choice?

I was glad to read this thread. My DH and I are cruising for the first time in a couple weeks along with our 13 yr old daughter. I booked a table for 4 (no table for 3 option) because, while my DD is quite social in familiar situations, she gets very uncomfortable in new ones - having to sit with strangers in a nice dining atmosphere would be a little too intimidating at the start of a new adventure.

Has anyone had any experience with having a party of three and having a single person sat at you table? Our preference is socializing outside of meals but keeping it a family thing while eating - much more relaxed and comfortable.

I did 6-7 cruises with three at a table for 4 and they never placed anybody with us. I think they know that you are a family and UNLESS there is no other choice, they do not want to break into that....

Now as a single, I know I would not like to sit with a three person family.

Also you get to train your servers right... We loved to have a little plate of cheese at our table along with two ice teas when we sat down.... :)

Thank you all for the comments. We've decided we'll take our chances with the table for six. A&B have travelled extensively as have we - we think it's a safe bet that their friends have too or are maybe new to cruising. At this point it's a bit awkward to ask too many questions and/or suggest a larger table - we're pretty good at going with the flow. Fingers crossed, eh!

:rolleyes:

The problem with a rectangular table for 6 is how do the couples sit? Each spouse across? Two couples side by side one couple across?

Whoever gets to the table first on the first night sets the layout. I'd rather have a round table for eight.

I was glad to read this thread. My DH and I are cruising for the first time in a couple weeks along with our 13 yr old daughter. I booked a table for 4 (no table for 3 option) because, while my DD is quite social in familiar situations, she gets very uncomfortable in new ones - having to sit with strangers in a nice dining atmosphere would be a little too intimidating at the start of a new adventure.

Has anyone had any experience with having a party of three and having a single person sat at you table? Our preference is socializing outside of meals but keeping it a family thing while eating - much more relaxed and comfortable.

Well, you may get your wish , but I wouldn't be sure..

I requested table for 4 (for 3 of us, one was 13 years old) twice.

1) On Celebrity (Mercury) we got table for 4...

2) On Zuiderdam we got table for 6. We were 32 + 32 + almost 13 yo son. Our tablemates were 82 + 80 + 56. These people turned out to be very nice and interesting people. (I hope they liked us as well, at least they were nice enough to hide their feelings if they didn't like us;) )!!!!

Honestly, I think we'll try to make the best out of any situation, but we feel more relaxed when we have table for 2 or 3.

We always ask for the largest table they have - we have met so many interesting people!

One of the original IBM designers

A couple in their 70's on their honeymoon

A mother and daughter who left DC while the sniper was hitting a few years ago

A couple who had three children together and had been together for 20 years but had just gotten married. - that one was a trip!

Two doctors, one with wife and one who's girlfriend just left him - he ended up in a cabin he said was next to the boiler room - we felt so bad for him but he sure made up for the absence of prior girlfriend, I think he was hotly involved by the end of the cruise!

The ships doctor, also on the same cruise as above and since I was in healthcare at the time this was a very interesting conversational group.

The ships main engineer(Officer) - don't know how we ended up at his table as we weren't in suites or anything but we got to hear all about how it is to really live on a ship.

I love my DH but frankly, I see enough of him - plus it is great to go back to our cabin and "dish" about the tablemates! ;)

Archived