Carnival Glory - What to pack

A2ZMOMMY

We will be sailing on the the August 19th cruise to Canada and are already beginning to wonder what to pack. I have a feeling that the days may be somewhat cool and we would need appropriate clothes for that. I was also wondering what the evening dress should be. The dress code information on Carnival's website was not as clear as I was hoping. Will my husband need a suit and tie or can he just wear dress shirt and tie with dress pants for dinner. I was hoping to just bring some nice dresses for dinner most nights.

Thanks for the input.

a nice pair of pants and dress shirt is all he needs in dining room for formal night, nice shorts and polo shirts the other times. yes it can be cooler in Canada but you may want to bring something to wear in the dining room and shows also, it is cool in there sometimes.

The FAQs say dress shirt and tie is all he will need for Elegant Night. That being said, the majority of the men will be in jackets. On the 7 and 8 day cruises we usually take, the percentage is somthing like 75 % or more in jackets. (That's on Carnival, more on other lines) On the shorter 3, 4 and 5 day cruises it's likely to be 60 %.

For yourself, if you wear nice dresses most nights you will be among the better dressed. Just don't see a lot of nicer dresses on casual nights. But sun dresses, and slacks, Capris and even nice shorts, yes. For formal night, I encourage you to dress up in something nicer than a sundress. The percentage of truly formally dress ladies is about the same as the fellows in jackets. If you don't have a formal dress, the easiest dress up for Elegant night it to pack your favorite "Little Black Dress", heels and silky hose, and some showy bling.

We've done the Canada cruise 7 times, ranging from end of June to end of August. There may be cool days (bring slacks and a sweater), but it also may be very warm. The first time we sailed, our day in Saint John was cloudy and cool, but the next day in Halifax was sunny and 80 degrees. On several of our cruises, the Lido deck was so crowded you never would have guessed the ship was sailing to Canada and not the Caribbean. I always advise people to pack a little of everything.

As for dress clothes for elegant night, a shirt and tie/slacks are just fine.

We went on a Canadian/New England cruise with Princess in early August. (We've also frequently gone boating in the Metro NY area.) Agree with nybumpkin. Can be warm or cool so prepare for both. We were in our bathing suits the first day out. In Nova Scotia we wore light weight waterproof jackets with hoods and long sleeved shirts underneath. It was cool, cloud covered and there was a downpour.

Check the weather forecast before you go but I wore a sweatshirt in Sydney, st John and Hailfax. Jeans to zip line but nothing more than a zippered jacket or hoodie need in June (I think August is warmer). In dining room I wore dress slacks and top. Same as any other cruise just no tanks.

we will pack summer clothes along with a few fall type clothese. it is always chiiilly on a ship at night so i cn imagine the canada run cruise will be just asn cool. im excited to try new ports this cruises

We did this cruise last July and it was actually hot and sunny in Halifax and pretty pleasant in St. John as well. We brought sweatshirts, jackets & jeans and never used them. But I would pack them as you are going in August which can be a little ranier/cooler.

The thing we were so surprised about was the sea. It was smooth as glass, not a ripple in the evening. Being a New Englander, I thought the Atlantic would be rough. But it was amazingly beautiful! Enjoy your cruise.

The thing we were so surprised about was the sea. It was smooth as glass, not a ripple in the evening. Being a New Englander, I thought the Atlantic would be rough. But it was amazingly beautiful! Enjoy your cruise.

Most of our Canada cruises have been the calmest cruises we've done. 2010 with Hurricane Earl was an exception, but even that one wasn't bad. For us, the rougher cruises have been off North Carolina when sailing south from NY or Baltimore.

I think the OP was asking about MDR evening dress on regular nights, not formal nights, although she didn't specify. On regular nights he can wear khakis or jeans or slacks, and a golf shirt or button down or even a turtleneck if it's cold. I did that itinerary at the end of August and it was regular summer weather- little chilly at night on deck, maybe (that must be why I have two Princess sweatshirts :rolleyes:).

Archived