Explorer in Antarctica

Hi everyone

Does anyone know why the Explorer only does 2 trips per season that include South Georgia?

And is it the better cruise to take for an all-round experience or is the Antarctic Peninsula diverse enough?

And lastly, is it worth waiting till the end of 2014 to travel on the Eplorer, or are other lines fairly similar? I do see that it has far more zodiacs than any other ship irrespective of size!

I realise that I am asking this on the Lindblad forum but I am hoping there are some of you who have tried more than one ship.

Thanks for your help.

Jenny

Jenny--

it's a logistics/business decision. If you strip out pre- and post-ship travelling, the itineraries that include S. Georgia are twice the length (20 nights aboard) than the ones that do not (10). Our trip, which included the S. Georgia itinerary, wasn't full. The previous sailing had been slated for Falklands/S. Georgia in-depth only (no Antarctica... too early in season) and for better or for worse got re-routed as "Patagonia", with no S. Georgia, to improve sales. And it wasn't full. Perhaps there's something magical about the word "Antarctica".

The most economical (we can't say cheap) cabin on the Lindblad vessel works out to %$1000 pp/dbl/day-aboard. Many people would find ten days expensive enough, never mind 20.

I also think most people don't know much about S. Georgia, so demand is low. It's all about demand and perception.

My detailed review is in the thread below and I'd be happy to field questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751022

It's all a matter of taste, but I preferred S. Georgia to Antarctica. The scenery was still spectacular, but there was a greater diversity of wildlife. Antarctica was great, but if I was told I could only go back to one or the other, it'd be S. Georgia easily.

My Lindblad review speaks for itself; I have no experience aboard other ships.

Thanks so much, that was just what I was looking for!

I know it is only one opinion but it helps a lot.

I haven't read your review ye,t but did you get to land on the peninsula?

Three times, the first being at Neko Harbour. Other people have commented here, and I agree, that it can often be tricky to know if you're on-the-continent proper. (The naturalists do tell you.) Comment is also made that sometimes more is made of this than ought to be as a couple landing spots can be treated either way.

More dramatic for us actually, than finding terra firma, was crossing the Antarctic Convergence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Convergence

We were never frozen-cold all trip (the people who went swimming in -1 degree water were, but that's another tale) but we got an exaggerated temperature drop headed from the Falklands to S. Georgia. It was unseasonably warm on our day in Stanley and as we got closer to S. Georgia at one point the temperature dropped six degrees in an hour. That's when many of us knew we were headed for adventure.

Hi Jenny,

I did the Antarctic only cruise and had a great time. I could never have did the longer trip, for the time and money involved. I had a great cruise. I wrote a trip report here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/trip-to-antarctica-nov-2010.cfm

We did land on the continent once, at Neko Harbor. The rest of the landings were on islands. We also crossed the Antarctic Circle. I did a lot of research before I booked Nat. Geo. Explorer. Since I went solo the Explorer worked out better because they had single rooms and I didn't have to pay a large (usually 70% more) single supplement for my room.

Julie

Jenny, I know you've gotten some info about all this on the thread you posted on the Antarctica board as well as above, but I want to underscore that the S. Georgia trip is much longer and much more expensive than the trips to Antarctica that don't include S. Georgia. I suspect that's why the demand is less.

It's all a matter of taste, but I preferred S. Georgia to Antarctica. The scenery was still spectacular, but there was a greater diversity of wildlife. Antarctica was great, but if I was told I could only go back to one or the other, it'd be S. Georgia easily.

Shawn, didn't you visit in the early summer? If so, reportedly there isn't as much opportunity to see whales and seals in Antarctica as there is later in the summer.... Obviously, I am not speaking from personal experience as to that time of year.

At any rate, when we visited in late Jan/early Feb, we saw three species of penguins (and chicks running around), minke whales, humpback whales, killer whales (we even spent an incredible morning following a pack of killers chase down a minke; it was like being in a Discovery Channel show, only it was live!), many types of seals, all sorts of albatross, shags, and other birds.... In other words, plenty of wildlife. I haven't been to S. Georgia, so I can't compare, but we saw plenty.

We had two landings on the continent, and five on the peninsular islands. It was spectacular.

Turtles: Yes we were there in early summer (Nov 2012). Maybe Antarctica is even more alive later on. We had three whale sightings. Two in the general vicinity of S. Georgia (Orcas and Minke) and one near the Peninsula (Orcas hunting for seal lunch on small ice floes).

We didn't see chicks, although I think one subgroup of travelers may have seen a couple but it seems unlikely and I cannot say for certain. Lots of juveniles. We didn't see Emperor penguins; the next sailing did. So yeah, maybe we'd have done better to go to Antarctica in February.

The density of wildlife on S. Georgia was absolutely nuts. At Prion Is., it was "so many fur seals you can't even land" nuts. They did a pretty good job of keeping the pinnipeds off the museum steps at Grytviken.

Turtles: Yes we were there in early summer (Nov 2012). Maybe Antarctica is even more alive later on. We had three whale sightings. Two in the general vicinity of S. Georgia (Orcas and Minke) and one near the Peninsula (Orcas hunting for seal lunch on small ice floes).

We didn't see chicks, although I think one subgroup of travelers may have seen a couple but it seems unlikely and I cannot say for certain. Lots of juveniles. We didn't see Emperor penguins; the next sailing did. So yeah, maybe we'd have done better to go to Antarctica in February.

I wasn't even suggesting that at all -- you went at a great time. In fact, I think anytime would be great; it's all different. My only point for the OP was that the diversity of wildlife you see in and around the peninsula does increase as it gets later in the summer, in case that was a factor for her.

I love your ice pics.

Turtles: Sorry wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. More just ruminating on my own. :) Given that these trips are too expensive for me to do frequently, I do think when we go back it'll more like be summer's end, kind of for compare-and-contrast.

Thanks for the kind words re: the ice shots. Quite honestly, though, I think the only way to take "bad" shots down there is to leave the lens cap on. Antarctica is just that magnificent.

Turtles: Sorry wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. More just ruminating on my own. :) Given that these trips are too expensive for me to do frequently, I do think when we go back it'll more like be summer's end, kind of for compare-and-contrast.

No worries. I'd love to go back early in the season, just to have that different perspective. But I think I'd need to win the lottery first. :)

• 2 months later...

We were in Antarctic on Explorer 11 charted by Radisson, now Regent, last two weeks of January, 2006. We landed in Neko harbor also, but were anchored at Paradise Bay - It was sunny and 52 degrees and they had the deck BBQ = truly Paradise!

No rain or snow but windy. Saw a lot of wildlife. I went in the water at Deception Island and water was hot!

If I did it again I would include S. Georgia - if finances allowed.

A trip of a lifetime - do it while you can!

Archived