Partying

charw20

We don't drink and our children, ages 4, 10, 12, & 15, haven't ever been around the party scene. We are booked on the Carnival Fascination. I don't really want our vacation to be the time my kids see sloppy drunk party people all over. I can't really remember from when I cruised before if there was a lot of it. I am not saying whether people are to party or not.....just curious of what they could possibly see??

They will see fat people, skinny people, gay people, straight people, drunk people, sober people, children running around like crazies without any parental control AT ALL! ...but mostly they will see a large group of people just like yourself who are onboard for a wonderful family vacation. You can not shelter them forever but you can face the outside world as a family and explain any real world issues that come up.

I've been on 6 cruises on Carnival, my 7th will be in June (can't wait ;).) There are more people "partying" after 10 pm out on the Lido deck and in the bars. My family is usually tucked in bed by 10 pm so we don't hang around for the party people. The only time my family ever saw any sloppy drunks was when we were waiting to depart Roatan and we saw them trying to walk to the ship.

We have been on two cruises and have seen a couple of people wandering around the ship drunk. For the most part people are drinking but not getting drunk. I think one of the reasons you don't see many drunk people is the cost of the alchohol on board, you are more likely to see them staggering back at a port after a few too many at Senor Frogs or other bars a the pier. We have never cruised during spring break time, that could be a different story, you may find more on a cruise during spring break.

They probably won't see anything more....and will probably see less...than what they would at an all-inclusive resort where the drinks are included.

When the "drunks" fall overboard it always seems to be from their own balcony, so as long as you're not visiting the "drunk", it shouldn't be an issue

FYI...Disney also serves alcohol....:rolleyes:

Not only that, but Disney is the only major cruise line that allows you to bring all alcohol (in addition to wine) on board. If I was a drunk, I'd pick Disney.

We don't drink and our children, ages 4, 10, 12, & 15, haven't ever been around the party scene. We are booked on the Carnival Fascination. I don't really want our vacation to be the time my kids see sloppy drunk party people all over. I can't really remember from when I cruised before if there was a lot of it. I am not saying whether people are to party or not.....just curious of what they could possibly see??

Hi- Our kiddos are about the same age as yours. Last summer we took them on their first cruise. They had a wonderful time. It seems the party people stayed in certain areas , we encounterd no drunks.:) Our kids did not like camp carnival, so at nite we took them with us to some of the shows. One nite we found a great band and played trivia pursuit. Per their request we are booked for their 2nd cruise this summer. :D I hope you have a wonderful vacation like we did.

.....just curious of what they could possibly see??

They "could possibly see" ... the same things they would on land.

Relax. If they see someone who's had too many ... they'll be fine.

It's life.

I've been on a few cruises and have never see a raging drunk on any of them.

FYI...Disney also serves alcohol....:rolleyes:

Yes, I know Disney serves alcohol; it was my first cruise experience. She has her mind made up to go with Disney. I hope she has a wonderful time whichever line she chooses. I've had great cruises on each of the lines I've tried.

We sailed Fascination for Easter prime Spring Break time and saw NO issues. Only saw 1 teen Gal get out of line with security over a family matter. No drunks falling all over ect. Only heard more young kids at times running thru hall ways playing chase. Ovearall great time...;)

Our kids are 14 and 10 and had a great time. Only did limited club time as they were shy and not wanting to miss any shows or events. Next cruise in July they plan more time inkids clubs .

My first cruise was on Disney and all the rest have been on Carnival and I can honestly say I seen just as many drunks on the disney ship as on the Carnival ships. Disney allows you to bring your own alcohol on the ship.

Kim

We have been on 16 cruises with 14 being on Carnival starting when our son was 4 years old. Although I know many people are drinking on cruises and some people to excess I have never come across anyone who was out of control drunk . We don't go to bars though with the exception of the venue with jazz music.

Have fun!!

I am so tired of reading questions like this, it is a cruise, people are on vacation. people will be drinking. Some people save all year for their one week of fun. If you don't want to see it then rent a condo somewhere and don't leave it

Most of the drunk people I've seen were later at night, when your kids will be in bed.

If you see something, just gently direct their attention away, or head somewhere else. They won't notice.

Since you'll be cruising, put a little forethought into some co-ordinating outfits, and have some photos taken. No charge to take portraits. Just purchase the ones you want.

We've been on 9 Carnival cruises and one Princess cruise. I don't drink much and wouldn't want DD exposed to a bunch of drunk people, but it hasn't been an issue. We don't go to the bars. and we don't hang out by the pools either. As others have said, you'll probably see some drunk people, but the ship isn't chock full of them. The worst I've ever seen was formal night on Princess. There was a group waiting to go into dinner that was staggering--one of the women fell into my then-husband's lap. He didn't mind. ;)

OP, unless it is during Spring Break time you probably won't run into much of the "drunkeness" a lot of people think happens on a ship. It's not like Duval or Bourbon street. The children's programs are great and keep the kids busy. Late night tends to be when a little more drinking happens or a day in port at Cozumel. :p I personally have never seen anyone falling down drunk. Even though I was considered a "strict" mom, I also believed it was important to expose your children to some worldly things and then have discussions about things, because if you don't, some other friends will always be there to do it for you. I remember when my DH came back from deployment to Iraq my sons were 8th and 5th grade, he was demobilizing in Gulfport, so we took them to dinner one night on Bourbon Street on Halloween. :D It's a great town to expose them to things and then have discussions. Always taught my kids how to read people, watch body reactions and ask questions, and even if they did not drink we taught them the in's and out's of drinking, now they are the ones keeping some of their friends out of trouble.

Geez we just came this weekend from Universal, we were there to see Pitbull in concert on Saturday night ,we were having dinner at Pat O'briens around 5:00 p.m. The tablemates next to us were already well into happy hour and one lady kept coming over to my table babbling and tried to kiss me, lol, luckily she only got half of my lips as I quickly turned my head. :eek: NEVER had that happen on a cruise!

Unless you keep your kids in a bubble, the older ones more than likely have been exposed, (they will tell you about it when they get in their 20's) lol, better get to exposing them soon or they may just get et up in the real world, those too sheltered usually end up getting into unexpected, nieve trouble and become too trusting of people. I'm sure your a great mom and your kids will do just fine, have fun and relax. :)

Happy Sailing,

They probably won't see anything more....and will probably see less...than what they would at an all-inclusive resort where the drinks are included.

When the "drunks" fall overboard it always seems to be from their own balcony, so as long as you're not visiting the "drunk", it shouldn't be an issue

Unless you're on the balcony underneath them then I guess you can wave at them as they go by.:rolleyes:

Hello everyone, Cruise ship partier here, please don't stone me...

I go on family cruises every year, this next one in 20 something days will be my 4th. For the most part all the partiers on the ship don't start their party till 10 pm - midnight. The dance club for example begins it's adult party at midnight and goes till 4 am. That is when most of the party happens. I'm not saying it won't spill to the piano bar, but that is for more mature cruisers or the odd young cruiser that enjoys jimmy buffet and garth brooks.

I won't say that I've not seen kids hanging around the outside of the dance club, but they can't get in. Keep a close watch on them in port because the legal age to do many adult things is significantly lower.

so to sum it up, during the daytime I'm there to enjoy the ship with my family, at night i drink and dance and eat pizza. It's not a big deal, and there are many like me that if we came across a child would at least act like civilized humans at least until we were out of eyesight.

24 yr old non drinker here. I have been completely comfortable with the environment. I would feel fine bringing kids with me. If you're not in the bars, you'll be fine. I would avoid bringing kids to the adult comedy though. It's pretty...naughty lol

And if there are drunk partiers around the pool, use it to show your kids how dumb people act when they drink too much

Sent from my freaking DROID

Archived