Northern europe

Pleasantcruiser

PS.....don't really get the comments on the beaches. Who goes on a Northern Europe cruise to go to a beach?

People that think the Northern Europe ports are all the same :rolleyes:

I guess my concern with this cruise is that it would be very similar to the 6 days we just spent in Germany. And particularly .....WE HATED THE FOOD. But we'll have the lovely Oceania cuisine this time!

You hated the food?????? Maybe I misread you ... but when we've done land trips through Germany we have loved the food! Lots of breaded veal and pork and such, but it was delicious.

Mura

Yes Mura.....WE HATED THE FOOD. Come on, cold cuts for breakfast? Barf. We are mainly vegetarians and just couldn't find much that was appetizing about the food in Germany. Believe it or not, couldn't wait to get back to Scotland for fresh fruits and veggies....even if they are from Spain! We live in California so are used to fresh foods. We were constipated! Other than that though, we loved what we saw. Thanks for commenting. I feel like I'm getting in trouble here!

Okay, now I get it. If you are vegetarians, sure you would have a problem in Mittel Europe!

We aren't, so we didn't!

But I grew up in SoCal even though I've been living in NYC for many years (and DH was born in Brooklyn but lived in the Bay Area for 3 years way back when) so we understand the love of fresh fruit and veggies. We share that love.

But we also love meat ...

A few years ago I went on a brief vegetarian diet (for weight reduction purposes) and DH liked that so much that he regularly asks for a vegetarian meal these days. I don't prepare them all that regularly, but I DO prepare them at least once a week.

Good luck! But if you are going to be on an O cruise (I glanced at the recent posts just now, not earlier ones so I'm not sure), you shouldn't have a problem. Plenty of fruit/veggies on board, and even vegetarian dishes. And if you don't see something you like, you can always ask.

Mura

Thanks Mura. We've been on Oceania 2 times so KNOW THE FOOD IS FANTASTIC! We do eat a little meat too. Got two daughers living in NYC right now. One of my all time favorite places to visit. I grew up in Virginia and my husband Scotland...thus, our second home. Hope to meet up with you some time. We did book for the September Marina Baltic Cruise and can't wait! Happy sailing.

Our first O cruise was the Greek isles mainly. While I loved the cruise experience on O, the ports weren't all that interesting. Some were, but some didn't have much to see. We wound up back onboard early afternoon in a few ports. Compared to the beaches in FL, or IL or MI for that matter, there was no point in going to a beach. We loved the Baltic -- so much to see in every port, except one IMHO - Ronne. Which may not be on your itinerary anyway. All the cities were so different. We spent 2 days pre-cruise in Stockholm and 3 post cruise in Copenhagen and loved both. St. Petersburg was just incredible. Riga and Tallin were unexpected delights. Visby had less "must see's", but was so beautiful. We came home tired, but with wonderful memories, and so many pictures!

Everyone's different. I absolutely LOVED Ronne, but of course we rented a car and drove around the island instead of staying in Ronne. I absolutely loved Visby too, but of course I loved every port on the Baltic trip. Every place was different, and most were very DIY, which I love. The only things that drove me crazy were the frequent time changes and all the different money that was used!

Do any of you experienced travelers from past Baltic's cruises think that organized private tours are needed for any of the other Baltic's ports or can they be done independently? We will have 3 pre days in Stockholm and 3 post days in London.

I am a big fan of independent traveling. Last August I found Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn and Visby very easy to do on my own. Gdansk was a bit tricky, but not hard if you pre-plan. I think O has changed the itinerary so you may not go to Riga and Visby, but if you do (and I loved Visby, and loved the art nouveau buildings in Riga) you will find them easy to explore on your own. I just used the shuttle that was provided in Helsinki to go to the market/harbor area and took trams around. Tallinn is walkable for most sites, and once you get to Gdansk from Gdynia, Gdansk is pretty easy to see on your own. I took the Zegluga boat up to Westerplatte (historic WWII site, plus there is an interesting lighthouse across the way) and also explored the old part of Gdansk - very interesting architecture.

See http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 for pix.

Archived