London hotel pre cruise

I know there are many posts on this subject, but I am looking for some more specific information. We are in our seventies and my husband walks with a cane. We want a hotel close to some of the major sights that is moderately priced. We will be in London in September. I did make a reservation at the Doubletree Westminister. Is it near any mass transit? Are there any inexpensive places to eat nearby. Does anyone have another suggestion? I have spent hours on this and getting very frustrated and concerned. Please help.

I'm not overly familiar with that area, so others can say with more certainty, but I'm not sure it would be my first choice. With your requirements - and as you have a Hilton-family property reserved - I'd be inclined to look at the Hilton Paddington, which is attached to the train station. That way, you could take a train directly from LHR to your hotel (very easy to do, luggage carts at both ends), and the area has very good transportation links as well as lots of restaurants/grocery stores in and around the station. Depending on budget, you could also look at properties near Marble Arch/Oxford St.

Doubletree Westminster is well-regarded by CC members.

But it's not close to sights or transportation - a 10-15 min walk to the nearest tube station (Westminster), ho-ho stop and places of interest.

Twickers' suggestion of the Hilton Paddington is presumably because its the same chain. It's no closer to sights, but has four tube lines for easy access to anywhere in central London, plus the Heathrow Express, and it's on the ho-ho route.

Plenty of other options, but of the two I'd rate Paddington as much more convenient in your circumstances.

JB :)

I just stayed at the Citidine Prestigage Trafalgar and was very satisfied with its location-a block and a half to the Square and about two blocks to two tube stations. Westminster Abbey was less than a mile, the Mall was just on the other side of the Square, and the buses on Fleet got us right to St Paul's and The Tower. Plus just about every bus runs thru Trafalgar Square. The hotel rooms are like a small studio or one bedroom apartment so you get plenty of space with daily housekeeping.

Prior to my holidays I spend a lot of time at google maps charting and mapping out the distances to the sites I want to see. It will allow you to program the route walking or using public transportation. One of my favorite features is you can take it down to street level and "walk" the course. By some of my trips I probably know the neighborhoods almost as we'll as the locals. :D. Needless to say I drive my family nuts...

As there are two of you I'd also consider booking a car/driver from LHR. I used simply airport and if I recall paid 36 pounds - that's the same price as two train tickets plus then the hassle of getting from the station to hotel just isn't worth it IMO. I felt very pampered having a private driver waiting at the arrival area with my name on a sign and then being whisked away to my hotels front door. :)

Twickers' suggestion of the Hilton Paddington is presumably because its the same chain.

Well, I'm hotel-points minded, so yeah, I'm thinking the OP might have HHonors points/status. Lots of other options/areas in London that would probably suit, but as the choice is vast you need a starting point. Of course, where you're headed after London is also important, so a clearer picture of your schedule might change things.

*Still pondering how I feel being called 'Twickers'... ;)*

My wife also uses a cane (not on me) and I agree with the suggestion of booking a car.

The Hilton at Paddington is OK but it isn't a great area and may be noisy. My suggestion would be London County Hall which is now a Premier Inn and gets good reviews. This is on the South Bank opposite the Houses of Parliament and within easy walking distance of the London Eye. You can also see a lot of London, and cruise down river to Tower Bridge and The Tower of London.

We will be in London in August and are staying at Le Meridian Picadilly. It is part of the Starwood chain, and depending upon your budget has a very nice Club level. It is only paces to the tube station and very centrally located.

Ricki

Stayed in the Hilton Paddington this last weekend. Didn't hear any noise and felt perfectly safe walking around the area. As with all London hotels rooms, they aren't massive but are perfectly fine. A few pubs within a 150yds which do inexpensive food by London standards.

Anyone visiting London for the first time should stay around the centre if possible, as then many places are walk-able. If you wake up early, London can be really peaceful. Postcodes in SW1, W1 or WC1 sshould be ideal.

Thank you all for the invaluable help. I am trying to stay as centrally located as possible, but I must keep a budget in mind. I am a little hesitant about using the tube, although others say it is easy. My husband cannot help with any of the planning so it is all up to me when we travel. I don't have Hilton points. I was just going by recommendations on cc. We will be taking a taxi from the airport. Checking the google maps is a great idea. I will have to learn how. Our cruise is 12 night British Isles. I am still checking on all the hotel suggestions, which are a great help since I know nothing about London.

Thank you all for the invaluable help. I am trying to stay as centrally located as possible, but I must keep a budget in mind. I am a little hesitant about using the tube, although others say it is easy. My husband cannot help with any of the planning so it is all up to me when we travel. I don't have Hilton points. I was just going by recommendations on cc. We will be taking a taxi from the airport. Checking the google maps is a great idea. I will have to learn how. Our cruise is 12 night British Isles. I am still checking on all the hotel suggestions, which are a great help since I know nothing about London.

September is usually and excellent month to visit, with decent weather and plenty of daylight.

I used to live in London and used to love cycling around the central area, but as for hotel recommendations and prices, I reckon Trip Advisor might be your best bet. Try and find somewhere that includes breakfast. I love Holiday Inn Express, but there may not be one in central London. If staying a few days it might be worth looking at apartments.

You'll have a fabulous time. think about using regular buses, as you see a lot at low cost. You can buy a travel card, but this is best at weekends as there are no time restrictions.

Glad to be of help.

I'd like to comment about English Tim's suggestion about an apartment - that's the way we normally go, and love it. It helps us watch our costs (normally we eat breakfast in the unit, have our mid day meal at a restaurant, and then in the late evening have a light dinner back in the unit). The downside of an apartment is no maid service so you need to make your own bed daily - no big deal to me, plus if you elect to eat in you're stuck cooking - again, no big deal to me as the meals are normally salads and or soups. This year in using the Citadine it was a compromise as we still had daily maid service, but also a small kitchenette. Right at the end of the street was a Tesco Express, and there were several other markets near by.

I also like his suggestion about using the bus rather than the tube. Yes, you need to do the tube at least once to say you did, but then I'd avoid it. With mobility issues tube stations aren't ideal (elevators can be hard to find and/or result in longer walking distances to your platform). Buses on the other hand are plentiful, plus you get to see the beautiful city. I'd recommend getting Oyster cards (they can be used on both the tube and buses) and reduce the cost of the trip vice paying per trip.

Be advised in taking a cab from the airport you are dependent upon the meter and traffic - it can be expensive. With a prebooked service it's a flat fee. I paid 36 pounds in March which was a lot cheaper than a cab would have been based on the traffic going into town. Additionally, the driver meet us inside the airport and quickly grabbed our suitcases. It was wonderful just beng able to relax and let the driver worry about getting us to our hotel.

We're going to be in London on August 9th before our cruise to Norwegian Fjords staying at B&B Belgravia. Train and Bus station about 5 mins away. Ask for a room on the 1st floor since there is no lift. Got good reviews from Rick Stevens. Hope this helps.

We're going to be in London on August 9th before our cruise to Norwegian Fjords staying at B&B Belgravia. Train and Bus station about 5 mins away. Ask for a room on the 1st floor since there is no lift. Got good reviews from Rick Stevens. Hope this helps.

British "first floor"?

Or American "first floor"?

In the UK the entrance level is the ground floor, the floor above is the first floor.

Causes no end of fun with un-suspecting tourists ;)

British "first floor"?

Or American "first floor"?

In the UK the entrance level is the ground floor, the floor above is the first floor.

Causes no end of fun with unknowing tourists ;)

I am immensely proud of the fact that I work in a building with Ground Floor - First floor - Second floor. :D;)

I concur with Girr's post about accommodation and transport. We've stayed in several self-catering vacation rentals in London, and all have been great.

Glad to be of help.

I'd like to comment about English Tim's suggestion about an apartment - that's the way we normally go, and love it. It helps us watch our costs (normally we eat breakfast in the unit, have our mid day meal at a restaurant, and then in the late evening have a light dinner back in the unit). The downside of an apartment is no maid service so you need to make your own bed daily - no big deal to me, plus if you elect to eat in you're stuck cooking - again, no big deal to me as the meals are normally salads and or soups. This year in using the Citadine it was a compromise as we still had daily maid service, but also a small kitchenette. Right at the end of the street was a Tesco Express, and there were several other markets near by.

I also like his suggestion about using the bus rather than the tube. Yes, you need to do the tube at least once to say you did, but then I'd avoid it. With mobility issues tube stations aren't ideal (elevators can be hard to find and/or result in longer walking distances to your platform). Buses on the other hand are plentiful, plus you get to see the beautiful city. I'd recommend getting Oyster cards (they can be used on both the tube and buses) and reduce the cost of the trip vice paying per trip.

Be advised in taking a cab from the airport you are dependent upon the meter and traffic - it can be expensive. With a prebooked service it's a flat fee. I paid 36 pounds in March which was a lot cheaper than a cab would have been based on the traffic going into town. Additionally, the driver meet us inside the airport and quickly grabbed our suitcases. It was wonderful just beng able to relax and let the driver worry about getting us to our hotel.

Can you recommend any apartments that are close to the center of London, or an easy short bus ride away? I don't mind eating in, especially breakfast. I understand eating out in London is very expensive. Yes, I will be taking a car service from the airport, any suggestions?

Unfortunately the apartment I used in the past is no longer available, but I've always had great luck finding places using Flipkey, VRBO (vacation rental by owner) and Trip Advisor (this site probably has the most units listed but it's not very user friendly). Also, several of the major on line travel agencies provide the option of finding a vacation rental - that's how I found the Citadine this year. (As we can't mention web sites by name I can only give you clues and it rhymes with motels, but begins with an h - same number of letters in the name:rolleyes:) If you use one of the on-line travel agencies you'll notice hotel/ apartment combos like the Citadine are increasing in popularity as they not only provide the "comfort of home", but also have a front desk staff to answer questions, house keeping, lifts, etc.

Things to ask when looking to book an individual apartment: 1) is the fee all inclusive - sometimes they add on a cleaning fee, and very important 2) is there an elevator? You'll find most of the flats have free wi-fi, and a lot of them have a washing machine.

For my car hire I used simply airport. I'll confess I had a lot of trepidation as some of their reviews weren't good. However, I had nothing but stellar service and was so impressed I booked them for my return trip to the airport (36 pounds from the airport and 30 pounds return).

What Hilton of Sheraton property are considered central London? I do like the location of the Premier Inn that was mentioned above, but would love to use points.

We also have our 1 night pre-cruise booked at the Double Tree Westminster, but not sure of that locations.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread. Walking and rushing to catch trains or a bus is very challenging anyway, but when there's mobility problems, it's much harder!

What Hilton of Sheraton property are considered central London? I do like the location of the Premier Inn that was mentioned above, but would love to use points.

We also have our 1 night pre-cruise booked at the Double Tree Westminster, but not sure of that locations.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread. Walking and rushing to catch trains or a bus is very challenging anyway, but when there's mobility problems, it's much harder!

The two most central for those groups would be The Trafalgar (Hilton) and Sheraton Park Lane, I would guess. But it does depend on what is meant by "central" - central London is a geographically large and diverse area, and wherever you stay you will need to use transport to get around.

The two most central for those groups would be The Trafalgar (Hilton) and Sheraton Park Lane, I would guess. But it does depend on what is meant by "central" - central London is a geographically large and diverse area, and wherever you stay you will need to use transport to get around.

I'll probably end up at the Sheraton Park Lane. I haven't been reading good reports about it. It sounds like it's a little run down in places. Maybe the location makes up for the shabby rooms.

Hi,

Last week I stayed at the Citadines, Holborn/Coventry Garden, London, which falls into the category of an aparthotel. You get a studio or one bedded apartment within a hotel. We had a one bedroomed apartment with a separate lounge and kitchenette. It was compact but excellent. You can get a continental breakfast there in the morning and free coffee throughout the day. If you are worried about the cost of meals (and I don't think London is especially expensive but of course it depends what you are used to) there is a well stocked Waitrose supermarket immediately opposite where you you could buy all you want to self cater. The position is very good and is very close to Holborn tube station. However position is of course all relative to what you want to do while you are in London. As regards using the underground it's easy for me to say it's very simple to use because I'm very familiar with it but I must say I don't tend to use subway systems when travelling abroad, however the only alternative options are buses, which may appeal less and taxis which can be expensive.

Archived