Akumal Sea Turtle Snorkel

sherifa

Has anyone taken this shore excursion? We are on Carnival and would like to do this. I understand it involves a ferry to Playa Del Carmen and a bus to the beach. If anyone has done this I'd love some feedback and opinions. Thanks!

I went to Akumal last year but I was staying at Playa del Carmen. It seems like a lot of traveling to get there. Cancun is like 17 miles form Cozumel. If you can skip the turtles, Money bar has nice snorkeling right at the shore about 10 minutes from the ships.

I've been to Cozumel, I've been to Akumal. Would I take an excursion from Cozumel over to Akumal from a cruise ship? Nope. Akumal is a town and the beach area has a spot with lots of turtle grass. Turtles tend to be there, it's not for sure that you'll see any. There are also turtles around Cozumel, maybe someone here can tell you if there is an area like Akumal in which they are often seen. We've seen turtles snorkeling in Cozumel, but not that often. Last time we were there on a cruise (Sept) we saw a couple swimming around the ship from our balcony.

From Cozumel to Akumal will be a 45 minute Ferry ride (warning, water can be rough) and about a 45 minute bus ride from Playa (maybe a little less) to Akumal. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

We LOVE Cozumel and everything it has to offer, so we stay on the island when we go there, but we do a Riv. Maya vacation each year as well, so we get to spend time there too.

I've been to Cozumel, I've been to Akumal. Would I take an excursion from Cozumel over to Akumal from a cruise ship? Nope. Akumal is a town and the beach area has a spot with lots of turtle grass. Turtles tend to be there, it's not for sure that you'll see any. There are also turtles around Cozumel, maybe someone here can tell you if there is an area like Akumal in which they are often seen. We've seen turtles snorkeling in Cozumel, but not that often. Last time we were there on a cruise (Sept) we saw a couple swimming around the ship from our balcony.

From Cozumel to Akumal will be a 45 minute Ferry ride (warning, water can be rough) and about a 45 minute bus ride from Playa (maybe a little less) to Akumal. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

We LOVE Cozumel and everything it has to offer, so we stay on the island when we go there, but we do a Riv. Maya vacation each year as well, so we get to spend time there too.

Thanks so much for the info and opinions. My daughter and I like to snorkel and have done so at many ports. What suggestions do you have for the day in Cozumel? We've been there 2x-have done dolphin experience at Chakanaab and snorkeled off a beach near the cruise ship. Looking for a new experience, but not an all inclusive nor ATV tour or island tour. Thanks, again!

Archived