Tendered ports & Whittier vs Seward

mollanjake

I am in the early stages of planning a summer 2014 cruise. Not sure if it will be to Alaska or Northern Europe. From everything I have read here on CC, both are port intensive cruises, so I am looking at itineraries.

I will be traveling with DH and DD 9yo. Have been looking at Southbound cruises and will likely do a land trip prior to the cruise.

One question I have not been able to find an answer to:

The tendered ports:

Haines(HAL) how often is this missed b/c of weather and tendering?

Icy Strait Point: how often is this point missed b/c of weather and tendering?

Another question I haven't seen a recent thread:

Whittier vs Seward for embarkation: does it matter? From all I have read Seward has a lot more to do, so if we will spend a day or 2 before cruise Seward seems better....

Thanks for any help!

I am in the early stages of planning a summer 2014 cruise. Not sure if it will be to Alaska or Northern Europe. From everything I have read here on CC, both are port intensive cruises, so I am looking at itineraries.

I will be traveling with DH and DD 9yo. Have been looking at Southbound cruises and will likely do a land trip prior to the cruise.

The tendered ports:

This is a docked port no tendering . Rarely missed due to wind or weather

Icy Strait Point: how often is this point missed b/c of weather and tendering? Don't know if HAL does this port.

Whittier vs Seward for embarkation: does it matter? From all I have read Seward has a lot more to do, so if we will spend a day or 2 before cruise Seward seems better.... If doing your own land portion it doesn't really matter . You can stay in Seward for a few days then just drive over to Whittier .

Thanks for any help!

Most Alaska cruises have 5 ports in 7 days . One day is usually a glacier cruise . I personally find Haines very boring . There isn't a lot to see unless you take a tour of some kind.

Most Alaska cruises have 5 ports in 7 days . One day is usually a glacier cruise . I personally find Haines very boring . There isn't a lot to see unless you take a tour of some kind.

NO, "most" Alaska cruises have 3 ports on a 7 day cruise, plus a scenic glacier cruising day. With round trip cruises, they have an additional "stop", hardly a "port" time, since, many don't dock until 6pm.

Haines, in my opinion is not "boring", you missed out on some excellent touring opportunities perhaps? You were there once?

The tendered ports:

Icy Strait Point: how often is this point missed b/c of weather and tendering?

Whittier vs Seward for embarkation: does it matter? From all I have read Seward has a lot more to do, so if we will spend a day or 2 before cruise Seward seems better....

Thanks for any help!

Frankly, I do both Europe and Alaska every year, so coming from a different perspective.

Alaska ports are infrequently "missed". As already stated, Haines is a docked port.

With your "plans" for mainland Alaska touring, IF you go independent, it is easy to add Whittier and Seward. I do not recommend cruisetours for families, way too restrictive and the most costly way to tour, seeing the least.

I suggest you look at the whole picture. At present, the two lines that sail Whittier, have itineraries for 2 glacier sailing days, where none of the Seward cruiselines, in the past have, sail only 1. This is an added "perk" for an itinerary to consider. I highly recommend, and always take, the added boat tours out of both Seward and Whittier, every trip. Another consideration, especially if short on time. Overall, go for as long as you can afford. It is well worth the effort.

BUT- if you haven't been to Europe, that, too, can be an excellent vacation, again, needing at least an additional week, since a lot can not be seen with a cruise. I usually spend a month, which isn't "normal" but essential for my preferences, actually did this twice last year in May and Nov. Many very different areas to consider and select. I do find Europe, FAR more costly compared to Alaska. People in the US, just do not appreciate the low food and fuel costs. :) The dollar seems to always be at a disadvantage.

NO, "most" Alaska cruises have 3 ports on a 7 day cruise, plus a scenic glacier cruising day. With round trip cruises, they have an additional "stop", hardly a "port" time, since, many don't dock until 6pm.

Haines, in my opinion is not "boring", you missed out on some excellent touring opportunities perhaps? You were there once?

NB & SB cruises have 3 ports in 7 days . Cruise from Seattle have 4 ports in 7 days (Ketchikan,Juneau , Skagway & Victoria BC)

NB & SB cruises have 3 ports in 7 days . Cruise from Seattle have 4 ports in 7 days (Ketchikan,Juneau , Skagway & Victoria BC)

There are 6 Alaska inside passage ports, that can be on cruise itineraries, you have missed a few, and Seattle, does NOt only have the ones you list above.

Frankly, I do both Europe and Alaska every year, so coming from a different perspective.

Alaska ports are infrequently "missed". As already stated, Haines is a docked port.

With your "plans" for mainland Alaska touring, IF you go independent, it is easy to add Whittier and Seward. I do not recommend cruisetours for families, way too restrictive and the most costly way to tour, seeing the least.

I suggest you look at the whole picture. At present, the two lines that sail Whittier, have itineraries for 2 glacier sailing days, where none of the Seward cruiselines, in the past have, sail only 1. This is an added "perk" for an itinerary to consider. I highly recommend, and always take, the added boat tours out of both Seward and Whittier, every trip. Another consideration, especially if short on time. Overall, go for as long as you can afford. It is well worth the effort.

BUT- if you haven't been to Europe, that, too, can be an excellent vacation, again, needing at least an additional week, since a lot can not be seen with a cruise. I usually spend a month, which isn't "normal" but essential for my preferences, actually did this twice last year in May and Nov. Many very different areas to consider and select. I do find Europe, FAR more costly compared to Alaska. People in the US, just do not appreciate the low food and fuel costs. :) The dollar seems to always be at a disadvantage.

WOW a month in Europe, I can only dream of that! Maybe when we retire, I guess when DH retires as I am a stay at home mom.

Thanks for your comments on Europe. I had been leaning heavily toward a Baltic cruise as I have wanted to do it for a very long time. But with my research I am not sure it's right for us right now.

MY DH liked the idea of Alaska more, which was also on my someday list. Thanks for setting me straight on Haines, not sure why I thought it was a tender port. What I need to figure out is if we want 3 or 4 in port days. B/C I want SB I have narrowed it to the 5 mega lines for 2014:

RCI/Celeb(Same itinerary): Seward, Hubbard, 4 ports

HAL: Seward, sea day, Glacier Bay, 3 ports. Haines rather than Skagway

NCL: Whittier: Hubbard, 1/2 day Sawyer(which I really don't know anything about) 1/2 day Juneau and 3 ports.

Princess: Whittier, Hubbard, Glacier Bay, 3 ports with a short Juneau day.

I guess I need to figure what we would want to do in Juneau and see if princess allows the time needed.

Thanks!

Sorry left this out of my other post...thanks for the not recommended the cruise tours for families. Reinforces what I thought. Seems like A LOT of time is spent in transit. I am sure that is very nice for some, but sounds not so great to me.

!

Whatever you do - do not take a cruisetour if you want to do a land trip as part of your vacation. Check out the Alaska CC board and see the number of horror stories from people who did not understand the specific details of the tour portion of their cruisetour - insufficient time in Denali, bad trip in Denali, staying in cruise line owned "lodges" in the middle of nowhere which means that you have to take overpriced cruise line owned tours, no flexibility, spending more time traveling than seeing.. I could go on forever.

You are much better off doing your land portion as a DIY.

DON

There are 6 Alaska inside passage ports, that can be on cruise itineraries, you have missed a few, and Seattle, does NOt only have the ones you list above.

The ones I listed are the most common ports that cruises visit .

Some visit Prince Rupert , Haines , Sitka , Icy Point , Homer , Kodiak and Anchorage proper.

The ones I listed are the most common ports that cruises visit .

Some visit Prince Rupert , Haines , Sitka , Icy Point , Homer , Kodiak and Anchorage proper.

Prince Rupert has been gone, by the regular cruiselines for a few years.

And you don't see too many people sailing Oceania.

Well, DO NOT MISS Seward no matter what you do. Seward has a LOT to see and do; the Sea Life Center, alone, would make it worthwhile. Your DD would love it.

There are many B and Bs in Seward and in the "forest/mountain viewing" area out of town.

Last year we spent a few days on the Kenai Peninsula, stayed in Seward at a new B and B, returned the car in Anchorage, got dropped off at the airport, waited five minutes and then were on our way to Whittier via a cruiseline transfer bus.

Look up the two ports. Whittier is just that............a port and not much else except for boat tours.

Seward is breathtaking.

ENJOY!!

Well, DO NOT MISS Seward no matter what you do. Seward has a LOT to see and do; the Sea Life Center, alone, would make it worthwhile. Your DD would love it.

There are many B and Bs in Seward and in the "forest/mountain viewing" area out of town.

Last year we spent a few days on the Kenai Peninsula, stayed in Seward at a new B and B, returned the car in Anchorage, got dropped off at the airport, waited five minutes and then were on our way to Whittier via a cruiseline transfer bus.

Look up the two ports. Whittier is just that............a port and not much else except for boat tours.

Seward is breathtaking.

ENJOY!!

Thanks!

You are right my DD would love the Sea Life Center. Have my eye on the octopus encounter.

Have some more research to do... Trying to figure what to do on a land tour without spending tons of time in transit. Still have to pick a cruise line AND discuss w/ DH

Thanks!

You are right my DD would love the Sea Life Center. Have my eye on the octopus encounter.

Have some more research to do... Trying to figure what to do on a land tour without spending tons of time in transit. Still have to pick a cruise line AND discuss w/ DH

Basic to consider is Denali Park and Seward. It is NOT "necessary" to limit your cruises, since it's an easy transfer between the two, although some complain about the cost, and won't consider it. In my opinion, Time can be more valuable than money.

Go for as long as you can afford, having a week, allows plenty of time, for the two above areas, BUT you need to determine, where it is YOU wish to spend your time? Find out about specific areas, and look at how time can be occupied. Head to your library and get Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, 2 especially concise books, plus any other travel books. It is of great benefit, to have all the information you can, then all you will have to do, is "look" at your list, and put it together. This board offers superb, accurate trip planning information, that "some" people take. However, you NEVER get any reports back, other than RAVES. Never any, "you were wrong", I didn't "expect abc" etc.

Basic to consider is Denali Park and Seward. It is NOT "necessary" to limit your cruises, since it's an easy transfer between the two, although some complain about the cost, and won't consider it. In my opinion, Time can be more valuable than money.

Go for as long as you can afford, having a week, allows plenty of time, for the two above areas, BUT you need to determine, where it is YOU wish to spend your time? Find out about specific areas, and look at how time can be occupied. Head to your library and get Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, 2 especially concise books, plus any other travel books. It is of great benefit, to have all the information you can, then all you will have to do, is "look" at your list, and

put it together. This board offers superb, accurate trip planning information, that "some" people take. However, you NEVER get any reports back, other than RAVES. Never any, "you were wrong", I didn't "expect abc" etc.

I love vacation research! doesn't matter where we go I always do tons of reading. Have 2 Alaska books and reading/posting on CC is really fun.

I hadn't really thought to visit Whittier just to do a tour or spending time in Seward then transferring to Whittier for the cruise. I have to start making some lists, another favorite of mine!

Thanks again I am sure I will be back posting more questions!

Archived