Recommendations for backpack

cheermom6488

really sorry I started this post, I was just wondering whas kinds of back packs people use. A regular one like that my kids used in school or more sophisticated one. I chose to use 2 we had laying around the house. I guess my question was a problem, and I understand everyone wants or needs something different. I have never been to Alaska, probably will never go again...I like warm beaches better, this was just a bucket list trip! I will probably never use a back pack again, its not something in all my 40 plus years I have ever used...I just wanted something to stow away extra layers

Thank you

really sorry I started this post, I was just wondering whas kinds of back packs people use. A regular one like that my kids used in school or more sophisticated one. I chose to use 2 we had laying around the house. I guess my question was a problem, and I understand everyone wants or needs something different. I have never been to Alaska, probably will never go again...I like warm beaches better, this was just a bucket list trip! I will probably never use a back pack again, its not something in all my 40 plus years I have ever used...I just wanted something to stow away extra layers

Thank you

Please don't fret over the personal views here.

There are many people in the world, some more passionate than others.

Just pick out the good advice and throw out the rest.

I love my Baggallini Messenger Bag - for the exact opposite reasons posted above! It has lots of pockets/slots & has taken my abuse for over a year!

I have to say that we also love our Baggallini. We have taken it on every trip for the past 5 years, and it is the PERFECT size!

Haven't used it for Alaska, so I can't vouch for how it works with the misty rain and such, but we love it!

I use a 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 backpack for my everyday commute, carry luggage and day trips. It's expensive and the tactical styling may not appeal to some, but it does the job for me.

Timbukt2 also makes great bags.

I have to say that we also love our Baggallini. We have taken it on every trip for the past 5 years, and it is the PERFECT size!

Haven't used it for Alaska, so I can't vouch for how it works with the misty rain and such, but we love it!

I carried a different Baggallini last year, the Berlin. I loved it! We also carried a backpack in port some days when we knew we'd be souvenir shopping or would want extra clothing.

I too have a Baggalini messanger bag that I've used for Tuscany, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and as a carryall when taking my kid to the zoo, etc. I really like the bag but the fitting of the sling keeps getting loose. This makes weight of the bag to shift to one side instead of balanced out.

For Alaska I wanted something about the same so I got an Eddie Bauer Rippac packable day pack. It's 17L (about 1,000 cu in). A bit bigger than Baggalini but very lightweight. I also paid very little for it. Eddie Bauer has a 25% off sale on everything until 5/6. I also got a rain jacket from them on the cheap, which I can add a layer of fleece or down underneath.

I too have a Baggalini messanger bag that I've used for Tuscany, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica and as a carryall when taking my kid to the zoo, etc. I really like the bag but the fitting of the sling keeps getting loose. This makes weight of the bag to shift to one side instead of balanced out.

For Alaska I wanted something about the same so I got an Eddie Bauer Rippac packable day pack. It's 17L (about 1,000 cu in). A bit bigger than Baggalini but very lightweight. I also paid very little for it. Eddie Bauer has a 25% off sale on everything until 5/6. I also got a rain jacket from them on the cheap, which I can add a layer of fleece or down underneath.

I love our Eddie Bauer Rippac & just bought a 2nd one for our Alaskan cruise. I like how lightweight it is & that it folds up in to it's own pocket.

I also found waterproof covers for a backpack at Walmart for around $5. I have not tried it yet so don't know how well they work.

I don't get it either ... May have been a little harsh but no worse than I regularly see on this board ... It's not a bad point. My son doesn't carry the same backpack that I do ...

I'm starting to worry about reading comprehension on this board.

And you all know we didn't test out our backpacks, how?:D

I'm starting to worry about reading comprehension on this board.

And you all know we didn't test out our backpacks, how?:D

What I do when I buy anything that I am going to carry stuff in (daypack, larger backpack, suitcase, camera bag, etc.) is when I buy it and when I am still within the return period, I put everything in it that I am planning to take and see if it all fits. With a baclpack or daypack, I also carry it around the house loaded fora while to see how uncomfortable it becomes after extended carrying.

DON

I try out new bags at or near home before taking a trip with them. Always within the return period, so I leave the original tags on until I am very sure about a bag.

Some of the most useful bags I owe, however, have been goodie bag items at conventions and trade shows (cost zero). Hard to complain about. They do get an at or near home field day before serious work is attempted.

Part way through a trip is a poor time to find out that you hate a bag.

• 2 months later...
I love our Eddie Bauer Rippac & just bought a 2nd one for our Alaskan cruise. I like how lightweight it is & that it folds up in to it's own pocket.

Hi - I've been looking all over (even called E.B.) to find out the weight and folded size of this pack. It looks great for my needs, but I want to be sure it will fit in my purse if not my pocket when folded.

If you care to share - I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you!!!

Hi - I've been looking all over (even called E.B.) to find out the weight and folded size of this pack. It looks great for my needs, but I want to be sure it will fit in my purse if not my pocket when folded.

If you care to share - I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you!!!

Her is the link to the Eddie Bauer Rippac.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eddiebauer.com%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FensembleId%3D44302&ei=smDoUYPHJoLC9QSE4YGQDg&usg=AFQjCNHz-uvg2x6Nv5TN7wyHcnMjMchhrQ&sig2=ouNf1ZG0W_AAs4omluLIcA

When folded in to its own pocket it is 9" X 7" & is about 2" thick. I don't know the exact weight but it is very lightweight.

When folded in to its own pocket it is 9" X 7" & is about 2" thick. I don't know the exact weight but it is very lightweight.

Thanks! A little larger folded than I want - but it really helps to narrow down my choices! :-)

I agree with previous poster. It should fit inside a medium to large purse. Those 9x7 measurements are about right. I was sooo happy to have gotten the EB one. I ended up using the backpack as my only bag for ports. The big pocket was to hold extra layers. And the other pockets were for glasses, wallet, etc. For the last night on the cruise I kept this backpack to save PJ and other toiletries that I would need the morning we left the cruise.

Archived